Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Third Season -- A Personal Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#81 of 93 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 470 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted January 26 2006 - 03:00 PM

Absolutely wonderful posts Mike - among the best and most perfectly expressed I have ever seen on this forum. All of it has the ring of truth based on what knowledge I have of the industry.

Like you, I would not let the minor music alteration prevent my purchase of MTM. The real value of the show is in the performances and some of the best scripts in the history of the medium - and those are blessedly complete.

#82 of 93 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 06:28 PM

so.....

Season 4?Posted Image
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#83 of 93 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 06:41 PM

Assuming it releases, I'm predicting July.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#84 of 93 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 10:45 PM

I was just watching a mini-marathon of several back-to-back MTM Season #3 episodes, and never fail to be amazed at how well this show holds up over time. Every single ep. is utterly perfect (both script-wise and PQ-wise on these DVDs...gorgeous color and video quality).

Just a few sample episodes from S.3 reveal the exquisite storylines, characters, relationships, and friendships that I'm literally envious of with each viewing -- "You've Got A Friend" and "The Courtship Of Mary's Father's Daughter" (both co-starring the great Bill Quinn as Mary's dad) are two such examples. Beautiful shows. Wonderfully written and brilliantly acted, with just the right dose of sentiment mixed in with the humor. Like when Mary's dad bandages the wrong finger after Mary cuts herself in "You've Got A Friend". One of the best scenes ever done in the whole series.

And "Rhoda Morgenstern: Minneapolis To New York" is another winner from Disc #2, exemplifying what the word "friendship" really means.

I want to watch them all again -- and will....very soon, thanks to this excellent DVD set from Fox Home Entertainment. Posted Image

To tell the truth, I wish I'd kept my big fat mouth shut about that one damn, insignificant Ted Baxter/music edit -- because by opening my yap about it, it's caused somebody who does like the MTM show to keep from buying it when he otherwise would have (even though he says he could live without it).

And I kind of feel bad about that -- because after having just now sat through those three incredibly-good episodes I raved about above, it would truly be a damn shame if even a casual fan of TMTMS would have to miss out on these perfectly-fine-tuned episodes just because Ted was mumbling instead of singing an Irving Berling tune in the office in one scene.

In short, these shows are too darn good to miss because of something so incredibly trivial and minor in nature.*

* = IMO, of course. And, to be perfectly honest and open, I'll put it as Rhoda Morgenstern might put it in her brusk, hold-nothing-back New York way -- "Anybody not buying this DVD set because of a little tiny edit has got to be crazy, Mare! Crazy! And, as I said before, Mare, I'm not gonna eat that candy! I'm just going to apply it DIRECTLY to my hips!" Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 of 93 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 11:17 PM

David, I'm late in chiming in here, but thank you for your personal review. I received this as a birthday present and am looking forward to watching it.

This is a great show and I hope that those who are unfamiliar with it take a chance and rent (and subsequently buy) one of the sets. They won't regret it.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#86 of 93 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 11:45 PM

So, David VP, did you watch last night's episode of That '70s Show? Nice little bit at the end there with Mary and Gavin! Posted Image

"I love boats!" Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#87 of 93 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 11:58 PM

No, David L., I didn't see that. Darn-it.

And, by-the-by, David L., are you working hard on getting Paramount to release "The Fugitive (1963): The Complete First Season" on DVD at some point in time before we all have long, white beards and are bangin' on the floor with our canes for our dinners? Posted Image

I have faith in you in this Fuge regard, my TVShowsOnDVD.com friend. I have faith. Posted Image

#88 of 93 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 04:09 AM

(Homer Simpson) "Mmmmmm . . . chocolate covered frog . . . ."

#89 of 93 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 06:10 AM

I finished the set last night, and I feel confident in saying that, as strong as the first two seasons are, the third season is significantly better.

Also, with the last episode (and this just might be my mind playing tricks with me), one of the cameras appears to be slightly blurry in multiple scenes. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but there were certain shots that appeared to be less than crystal clear (which the vast majority of the MTM prints seem to be).
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#90 of 93 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 29 2006 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
And, by-the-by, David L., are you working hard on getting Paramount to release...
Are you kidding? Martin Blythe's replacement is pretty useless. It's not like we can talk her into anything. And don't bother with online petitions; she doesn't seem to know that the Internet exists. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#91 of 93 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted January 29 2006 - 12:47 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? Martin Blythe's replacement is pretty useless. It's not like we can talk her into anything. And don't bother with online petitions; she doesn't seem to know that the Internet exists.

This really is distressing news. Over on the Film & Documentary forum there's been a lot of discussion about how Paramount has seemingly abandoned catalog releases. Let's hope that the TV division doesn't befall the same fate. For awhile there Paramount looked like they were going to be the Warners of TV on DVD.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#92 of 93 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 29 2006 - 01:01 PM

Quote:
This really is distressing news. Over on the Film & Documentary forum there's been a lot of discussion about how Paramount has seemingly abandoned catalog releases.

I'm sure it's for the same reason: Martin's gone and this lady sucks.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#93 of 93 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 29 2006 - 02:07 PM

David L.:
Quote:
Are you kidding? ...
Yes....I actually was kidding.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow