What's new

Stolen 1969 Covetter....found 37 years later (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Wow, a brand new Corvette for $6000.

In 1969, I remember figuring out how long it would take me to save $7000 for a new Corvette with just a paper route. I figured I would have enough by the time I was old enough to drive.

As I got older, I thought I had been naive to have such a dream. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm glad for the guy. Not that having a car stolen is ever a good thing, but if it hadn't been stolen, the car would be a fading memory now instead of a $60,000 classic in his driveway.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't pay $60,000 for a corvette thats is "Missing vital pieces", "doesn't run", and no longer has matching numbers. Sounds more like a $12,000 car now.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The instructor for a couple of automotive classes I just took was into restoring classic cars and you'd be surprised as to how much people will pay for what's left of a 30+ year old vehicle if it's the right make and model. Once it's fully restored that 1969 Corvette is sure to be worth well over $100,000 so the 'missing vital pieces' version is still worth quite a bit.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Only if it had matching numbers. A rare 69' Plymouth Hemi barracuda, lime green w/black interior & convertible top and the Hurst "pistol grip" shifter sold at Carlisle in 2003 for $325,000 :eek:

A non-matching numbers "copy" is worth maybe $20,000

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
You're right. I could buy a running and restored '69 Vette on ebaymotors for $21,000.00

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

It would be interesting to see what the "vital pieces" are. As Garrett pointed out, a huge $$$ difference for number mismatches. Wonder what else is a mismatch besides the paint, engine and upholstery ? Hmmm... what's left ;)

The current demand for the lime green Cuda always kills me. They probably couldn't get that color off the showroom when they were in a production run.... similar to the first runs of Vettes. Who wants a fiberglass car when we got all this steel ????

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

I didn't care for the first gen vette. Now the 2nd gen with the 4-speed and quad headlights? I'd eat puppy brains for a year to get that model.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yeah, a gas tank could be considered "vital."

Not much of a fan of the '69, but I'd take a '73/'74 Vette anyday.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Oh man, the gas tank numbers won't match ? Might as well junk it... Maybe I'll call and take it off his hands ;)

Thanks for the lessons on the Mopar sales. My older bro' had a Road Runner that was faster than sh-t. Unfortunately it only went screaming fast in a straight line and didn't like to corner :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks