Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Harmon Kardon Signature Series 2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 03:43 AM

Anyone familiar with this pre-pro? I know it's an older model, but my local shop has a used one and I'm thinking it might be a good, but inexpensive upgrade over the Yamaha RX-V596 receiver I'm using as a pre-pro right now. I don't need video any switching.
Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#2 of 7 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 06:38 AM

I'm still using a Sig 2.0 in my HT rig. Fire away with any questions...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#3 of 7 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 07:17 AM

It's an older model, and a very good one at that from what I've read.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 7 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hi Tim,

I appreciate any info you can provide.

I understand there was a bass management problem with some older firmware versions? Do you know what firmware version takes care of that probelm? Also, I understand there was a chip upgrade available at one time. Was that to add DTS or was it for something else? This unit has DTS, so that would mean it has the chip upgrade installed?

Are there any issues with set-up or speaker configuration I should be aware of? What crossover and speaker distance/level settings are available? Do you know if the 6 channel analog input is passed thru in analog, or is it digitzed?

Thanks! Posted Image

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#5 of 7 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 10:20 PM

Let's see how much of this I can remember...

The chip and subsequent firmware upgrade (Ver. 2.10 I believe) did add DTS and correct the bass management problem. If the particular unit does already sport DTS decoding, it's in good shape.

There is no variable crossover in the unit, and the crossover is set at 100Hz. There are proper speaker level/distance adjustments in the unit, plus a nifty two-axis balance control that I've never used.

I believe the 6-ch input is direct analog. The manual doesn't really explain either way, but since DSP modes aren't available you'll understand my conclusion. One thing that's very handy is the separate subwoofer trim control for the 6-ch input. If you have a hi-rez player with the 10db sub dropoff, this is a good way to compensate.

Speaking of setup issues, these units were known to spazz out on occasion software-wise. Mine has frozen when playing with the 2-axis balance, but simply cycling the unit off and on solved that problem. I think the problem has been blown a little out of proportion personally...
Tim's Essential Music

#6 of 7 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 18 2006 - 02:12 AM

Thanks! Posted Image
Dan

--Benjamin Franklin

#7 of 7 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted January 18 2006 - 05:04 AM

No problem, Dan. If you have any more questions, just let me know...
Tim's Essential Music