What's new

Love Monkey ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For Tom "Ed" Cavanaugh fans, he returns in "Love Monkey" tonight on CBS in the 10 p.m. EST slot.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the first half of it.

I think it has potential, but the first episode felt really contrived, and was the blatant creation of someone who said, "let's cross Jerry McGuire with High Fidelity."

Still, it has potential, and at I loved the reference to Ride the Lightning.

Boy has Jason Priestly let himself go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Didn't he almost die from a car race in which he sustain severe injuries to his head and back?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That was a while ago (the race car crash), he's recovered, and was on "Tru Calling" last season (an abbreviated run, as it was).

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was a good show, not great, or at ED level.

It does have potential though. I like the cast and the premise.

I'll keep watching, set a Tivo Season Pass for it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Not bad... I'll tune in again. I think it needs a bit of work for it to pull off the whole "insidery" aspect, and certainly needs better pop music allusions if they intend this character to come off as truly musically literate.

For ex., the obligatory Dylan reference turns out to be a quote from "Like a Rolling Stone" - a bit obvious for someone with presumably more esoteric tastes. And the kid he's hoping to sign? Ugh, but this earnest John Maher wannabe seems so much like the bland and safe corporate crap our hero earlier railed against (and I certainly don't get the impression that the kid'd be a PIL or Pistols fan).

Minor criticisms, to be sure. But room for improvement if the musical aspect is to remain so pronounced.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
I agree the music pats of it seemed really forced - and I'm pretty sure that *was* John Mayer played over the kid lipsyncing. If not it was an awfully good immitation.

I just really liked that Ride the Lightning reference :)

I think the show just felt too sterile, and the writing was nowhere near Ed's quality. Hopefully it gets better, it has a lot of potential.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
BTW, as far as the music references go, did anyone pick up on the fact it was directed by Tamra Davis, who is married to one of the Beastie Boys?

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator
I like Tom Cavanaugh but didn't think this role was as great a fit for him as Ed was. I wasn't big on his buddies in this episode. I always like Judy Greer though. Overall, I was a little disappointed but might give it a couple weeks to get better.

Brent T

Second Unit
My wife and I sat down and watched this and thought it had some pretty good potential.

She did turn to me and say "Do guys actual talk like this to each other ?? "

I have a core group of guy friends that I hang with and I can honestly say in 15-20 years of being friends we may have talked about our wives/feelings/getting married and all the crap for about half the time these 4 Nancys did.

I hope they concentrate alot more on the music, Missy (from mind of a married man) and his relationship with his sister.

I am looking forward to next week to see if its going to be something that makes me want to keep coming back.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Besides Jerry Maguire and High FIdelity, seems like they are also going for a "dudes just talking to dudes" Entourage vibe. Network television being as limited as it is, it won't be as fun, but I'll probably watch again.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It has potential (like Kitchen Confidential did) but it's not quite there yet.
What bugged me was Tom Cavanaugh hairline.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Totally meh. The part where they act like the arbiters of cool in regards to music kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, if you like the artists he rags on, he sort of seems like a dick.

There's also a disconnect between CBGB's (the temple) and the syrupy, "no balls" shit that the John Mayer-ish nancy-boy was singing. You're pretty much doomed to fail when you set up a scenario that it's the best music in the world and yet it so obviously isn't. Maybe if they talked about how awesome the music was but didn't actually let the audience listen to it?

Also, will Tom Cavanaugh's next pilot be about a guy who gets dumped by his girl and gets fired from his job? I mean, I was half-expecting him to open his record company out of a bowling alley. Bowling alley record label.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks