Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol - Season 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1485 replies to this topic

#21 of 1486 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted January 19 2006 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
why spend so much effort poking fun at his sexual orientation

The problem with that statement was he didn't really have an orientation. He clearly stated he was a male and used the male bathroom. So he obviously felt "male". I would have actually understood if he felt "female" and dressed that way. But if you feel male and dreesed that way, you are looking for attention.... He got it.

Yes I feel bad for him, but if you are going "put yourself out there" then you have to be tough enough to face the consequences.

On a different subject. I wish they would show more of the good singers instead of all the bad ones. I really wish the producers (the people who select who sees the judges) would send only the good ones. For every bad one that gets to be in front of the judges, there is a potentially great singer who didnt get the chance.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#22 of 1486 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Yes I feel bad for him, but if you are going "put yourself out there" then you have to be touch enough to face the consequences.

I'm sure that if a contestant auditions for AI, then they pretty much sign their rights away so AI can do or show whatever they want. Even so, there are no shortages of contestants.

Was it mean? Yep.

Did he risk that by signing up to be a contestant? Yep.

I'll bet the legal team for Fox and 19 Entertainment have their bases well covered.

I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more from Lisa Tucker.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#23 of 1486 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 04:03 AM

Is Lisa Tucker the 16 year old that Simon said was the best 16 year singer that's ever auditioned for AI? That girl had an insanely strong voice.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#24 of 1486 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 05:17 AM

The 16 year old was definitely the strongest performer of the first two shows.

I think that they judges are getting bored with the auditions too. They were passing people who they knew would be first round exits for reasons beyond their voice. The crazy guy was passed just to piss off Simon. The cowboy was pass so he could fly on a plane and get beyond his 4 person town. BTW, 4 people do not make a town, but w/e.

There were other people who I thought were pretty weak but I can't remember them right now. Anyways, I think that they were passing people so they could have interesting storylines for when the show moves to Hollywood.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#25 of 1486 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
Is Lisa Tucker the 16 year old that Simon said was the best 16 year singer that's ever auditioned for AI? That girl had an insanely strong voice.

Yuppers. She managed to pull off the near impossible: Sing Whitney, but not sound like a Whitney ringer. It was quite refreshing. Posted Image

Sounds like with the Brittenum twins in jail that they missed the Hollywood round, which should be going on around now.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#26 of 1486 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 06:24 AM

I didn't like that 16-year old at all. Her vibrato was annoying as hell.
/Mike

#27 of 1486 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 07:25 AM

Mike,

We must be talking about two different gals.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#28 of 1486 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 08:55 AM

Good grief, the average ratings for Tuesday's premiere was over 35 million, and the average ratings for Wednesday episode was over 33 million. You'd think people would get sick of this show, but they are returning with a vengeance.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#29 of 1486 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,468 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
The problem with that statement was he didn't really have an orientation. He clearly stated he was a male and used the male bathroom. So he obviously felt "male". I would have actually understood if he felt "female" and dressed that way. But if you feel male and dreesed that way, you are looking for attention.... He got it.

I found the judges' comments to him rather strange. . .to me, he was CLEARLY a male, so I understood his offended reaction.

#30 of 1486 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
It sounds to me like the space they were using in Denver for auditions introduced it's own echo
It was at the convention center and there aren't that many closed off sections. Wasn't the best place to hold the auditions IMO, but I'm just glad I didn't waste my time...or the judges by trying to audition myself. There's just way too much hassle to even get past the producers before you can even auditon infront of the judges.

And what was with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb? I think someone has been sniffing too much of his own cleaning liquid.

I LOL at the guy who said he came a long way for this, and then Simon asked where he was from. Even though I knew what he meant, it was just funny how he said it.

#31 of 1486 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
I found the judges' comments to him rather strange. . .to me, he was CLEARLY a male, so I understood his offended reaction.

He was wearing female attire and you found him to be CLEARLY male?!? The voice & hair were also problematic... I haven't seen too many guys running around the 21st century with a modified pageboy.

At first glance, he screams 'teen girl' with possible eating disorder... you really have to look closer to see 'male'.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#32 of 1486 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted January 19 2006 - 09:54 AM

I too thought it was a girl. A pretty ugly one, but a girl Posted Image
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#33 of 1486 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 04:46 PM

I watch AI for the good performances as well, though I come across tons of folks who like it for the horrible ones. Or more specifically, for the roast of the horrible ones. Some even stop watching once the horrible singers are done. Whatever the reason, I guess AI will cater to them as long as the show keeps getting the ratings it does. The public has spoken -- they love the "Worst of American Idol" moments.

I'm content to see the few good ones they showcase knowing more good ones will come when we get to Hollywood.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#34 of 1486 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 12:40 AM

Count me in as one who loves to watch the auditions, but tunes out once the real competition begins.

I have no compunctions in laughing at those who audition. They know exactly what they're doing and that they could be broadcast. I admire the bravery required to audition, but most of these people need to hear what only Simon seems willing to say: they suck (or they're only mediocre singers) and they need to think about pursuing something else.

The audition episodes are fascinating studies of how self-delusional we all can be. How many times have rejected contestants vowed "You haven't heard the last of me!" only to sink back into utter obscurity at light speed?

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#35 of 1486 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 02:16 AM

most of these people need to hear what only Simon seems willing to say: they suck (or they're only mediocre singers) and they need to think about pursuing something else.

Do you really buy that? Nobody else is willing to tell them they suck? That's why they made it to the point of embarassing themselves on national TV? Either the producers didn't hear the suckiness or were "unwilling" to break the horrible news to these people that they suck? EVERYONE who wants entry will get their Simon, Paula, and Randy moment?

Let me present to you an alternate universe. In that universe, people apply for American Idol, get heard by someone whose job it is to weed out obvious non-talent, and pass on only those who would be allowed to sing at, oh, say Karaoke night. From THAT list, the judges decide who gets to go to Hollywood.

Of course the problem with that is you end up with lukewarm comments like, "it was just OK" and such, not "You are the worst singer I've ever heard."

Let's face it. There is no point to this stuff other than America loves to bash. Do the people know what they're in for? I don't much care. I'm not concerned about their decision making procss or delusions. I'm concerned about what it'd say about me to take glee in this modern day psychological equivalent of a public stoning.

This part of the show isn't really for me, but it is part of the show. As I said, they also show some good singing as well, so I watch it for that. I'll be happy when we move on past this, though.

#36 of 1486 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 03:21 AM

Yeah, it's obvious that some of these people are allowed to go on to the TV-part of the audition only so they can be made fun of.
/Mike

#37 of 1486 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 08:46 AM

A friend of a friend did a purposefully horrible audition in an attempt to get on TV but they didn't let him see Randy/Paula/Simon.

#38 of 1486 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
A friend of a friend did a purposefully horrible audition in an attempt to get on TV but they didn't let him see Randy/Paula/Simon.

That's one improvement over last year. I think the terrible auditions are hilarious- but only when the contestants truly think they are good. Last season it seemed they put too many people on TV who where purposefully there just to be goofy. And to me, that just isn't funny. People, like William Hung, are funny because of the fact that they genuinely think they are good.

This year, it *appears* atleast, that they are letting very few people through that are just goofing to get on TV.

The other improvement, to me, is they seem to have cut down on the amount of swearing they show after the auditions. I thought it got a little out of hand last season. My 11 year old likes to watch and I really don't like to see the constant vulgarity that seemed to follow each rejection last year. They've had some of that these first two episodes, but less than last season it seems.

#39 of 1486 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 10:18 AM

The other improvement, to me, is they seem to have cut down on the amount of swearing they show after the auditions. I thought it got a little out of hand last season. My 11 year old likes to watch and I really don't like to see the constant vulgarity that seemed to follow each rejection last year. They've had some of that these first two episodes, but less than last season it seems.

When they showed that blond teenager who was cursing up a storm, all I could think about was the mom who was standing behind her, basically endorsing this total lack of class.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#40 of 1486 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 04:17 PM

And if you think the mom was endorsing it, what was AI doing by choosing that, of the many other things filmed, to show us? Don't be fooled.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow