Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will you be rushing into the new Hi-Def formats in 2006?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
450 replies to this topic

#1 of 451 OFFLINE   Brian

Brian

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 12:42 PM

To avoid rebuying as many titles, I haven't bought any new movies for almost a year now (except Sith) so there are a fair number of movies that I'm ready to pick up when they hit Blu-ray, like Spider-man 2 (which I don't think has been announced yet, but would expect to see this year). I also plan on getting a PS3 this year, and I can't imagine having a Blu-ray player and not having any titles for it.

-B

#2 of 451 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted January 08 2006 - 04:57 AM

1. No HD via Component = No Sale

2. Even assuming #1 were resolved (not likely), I will not support one format over the other. I waited for a uni-player to go hi-rez audio, and will do the same here.

Brian

#3 of 451 OFFLINE   Cary

Cary

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 07:01 AM

I voted yes to Blu-Ray this year. By the end of CES, it will be obvious that every movie studio will be releasing media for it (half of them will have comparable HD discs too). My TV is ready for HDMI and I'm ready for hidef movies. I've grown so addicted to HD on cable that I have to force myself to even browse other channels.

The cost of the players are not out of line with what I would normally purchase, $1000-1500, and I'm betting the discs come in at about $30 too - the high end for a current DVD release. I expect the 2nd wave of players will show up magically in time for Christmas 2006 in the $500-700 range and a lot of folks will jump in then.

Basically, I'm ready for the next big thing.

#4 of 451 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 07:07 PM

I'll get one or both. Admittedly, I was the idiot who in the beginning (years ago, before we had a web forum) was dumb enough to order in a Toshiba 3006 DVD player upon it's release and a 16x9 set.. because, by god, I wanted to be first to get one Posted Image There was something nice about it, though I admit, looking back on it, I paid $800 for a DVD player that wouldn't be worth $50 today.

For months before and even after that, several of us here screamed how DVD would never supplant all of laserdisc due to the pure audio quality and CAV formats for those of us with large CAV stores of discs (admittedly, I still have some of my CAV discs). But time moves on. There are a lot of people in this forum who are saying "oh, I'll wait, I won't cave in" but trust me.. the moment you see the difference, you'll think a lot about whether or not you can cave in without eating crow in this thread.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 06:39 AM

I'm VERY interested in a hi-def format on DVD - and I will wait for the dust to settle.

I'm not very happy with the whole DRM thing - to say it kindly - and at the moment I don't trust the companies to come up with a decent (sic!) solution. And certainly not a decent solution for the consumer.

Cees

#6 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 09 2006 - 09:12 PM

Technically there's no doubt that the new blue laser technique will be able to bring us better quality video.

But for the moment the whole concept called Blue Ray seems flawed, only partly defined and contains even more than hints of suspicious features (if not candidly present, then at least "possible").

As I said in a post in another thread discussing this format, I don't feel I can recommend it yet. Let's wait and see first, and, most of all, be vigilant.

Cees

#7 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 10 2006 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
We have gotten a bit off topic here. I think everyone here sees the POTENTIAL of HD, and no-one is saying that they simply don't see the point in such an upgrade. The original question is whether or not we are going to dive in this year, and if not, why (not if we are going to dive in at all).
Exactly! Posted Image

No need to make it look like people who are saying that they want to wait - and often give their reasons - are shortsighted and don't recognize the goodies of the format for what they are (or are lacking vision!).

Fighting that straw man argument simply doesn't do them justice.

I happen to be one of them and I think I have very good reasons to withhold my judgement, none of them caused by a lack of vision.

Cees

#8 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 10 2006 - 10:51 AM

David,

Posted Image

You're forgiven - just don't end up in the lava. Posted Image

Cees

#9 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 10 2006 - 10:59 AM

Ditto, Rob.

Cees

#10 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 10 2006 - 08:57 PM

OK. Let's do some disagreeing for a change.

Quote:
To me, DVD feels like an evolutionary step. HD, however, is a revolution.
Quote:
We are on the verge here of finally getting full blown HD resolution of movies on an optical disc format. The specs are fantastic, especially when we get the 1080p discs!
Yes, 1080p is nice. And I'll love to get it in my hands. But a revolution? Come on, my current PC screen has more resolution.

Before we are even close to the resolution quality (not just spatial, but colour- and greylevel depth too) of real film, we need at least 3000x2000 pixels or better and 48-64 bits/pixel of real colour resolution.

DVD was such an improvement, because it gave us at least the resolution most installed TV sets had (have).

HD is a tiny step (remember, I'm in PAL country: the step is even smaller here and it's hardly better than the French Sécam specs) towards the real thing.

Of course, that's not an insignificant step and I'm eagerly waiting to get to own the new technology in my home. Posters in this thread who think they need to "sell" HD to other members are on the wrong track in most cases. We know, and we are believers too.

But, unfortunately, there seem to be some unpleasant by-products attached to the new HD-format products. And it appears not to be defined very well: two formats and a lot of uncertainties about crucial (to me at least) aspects. And, uhm, a tiny question: IS there really a product already?

That's all a very good reason for me (and several others apparently) to reply "no" to the question of whether or not we will buy into the format (which one?) this very year already. And of course: that's our opinion now, it may even change during the year 2006.

So, please, stop bashing "us" because we are supposed to be not interested in the format. Most of us, if not all, are! But at the moment some of us (and most voters clearly stated so) have some reservations on other points - again: at the moment.

Cees

#11 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
Isn't Sécam 720x576?
Yes, it is. But the original Secam was 819-lines. It was never introduced (the European countries agreed on introducing a 625-lines standard first), but the existence of this 1956 (!) almost-standard shows why 1080 lines, although an enormous improvement (again: we can agree about that, please stop "proving" it) can hardly be considered "a revolution".

Cees

#12 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 12:38 AM

It would be a pity, but not an enormous loss to skip this "HD" format altogether and wait for the real one: at least 2300 vertical lines or more.

It would certainly not be a loss to skip the format with those ugly DRM/HDMI, half-defined and other bad specs (to the studio's hearts' content) and get decent 1040p DVDs only.

It would not be a loss to be able to choose HD software, knowing it was authored in the one and only worldwide approved format.

Yes, we can make a difference: vote with your wallets, don't buy crap (even if part of the product is sweet).

Cees

#13 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 07:21 PM

Possibly.

Or else: they hate you with a vengeance and curse your memory daily for letting the beginning of those additional privacy intruding, performance and equipment crippling, cumulative expenses generating, not-easy-or-impossible-to-turn-back practises pass without a fight.

Unlike we did with DivX.

Cees

#14 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 13 2006 - 07:34 AM

David,

Quote:
I personally would rather own a 1080P hard-copy media of a film with "draconian copy protection" than none at all
Fine, and you're entitled to that personal feeling, of course.

But I, for one, do not rather own that.

Cees

#15 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 13 2006 - 07:51 AM

But, David, that's no fun at all!

Cees

#16 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 06:07 AM

What makes it worse: even if the studios don't "use" some of those evil specs, someone else might.

I get tired of those people stating that the studios "won't do" this or that. When any idiot could possibly produce a DVD that (either immediately or in time) "revokes" my player when I, or one of my housemates, or someone I temporarily lend my player to would be lured to playing it (and don't even try to tell me no such person exists on earth), the player is unsuited for use in a home.

And for "revokes" read any other damage or altered specs.

Cees

#17 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 08:16 AM

Christopher:

(1) Some I did see coming, some others certainly not.

(2) No, I'm not ready to expand my concessions in any serious quantity. What the amount of concession would have to do with the amount of quality, is beyond me, BTW.

(3) What opened my eyes was the almost criminal rootkit disaster. It made me realize that the morals of the studios might be something to watch carefully. I more or less trusted Sony before that.

(4) Even if you see some evil coming doesn't mean you have to like it, let alone accept it.

(5) I find it perfectly acceptable if studios protect their artistic property. But not at an inacceptable expense of my freedom and privacy.

(6) I don't force anything upon them: I simply won't buy what I find too expensive (costs + concessions), weighing the attractiveness of the product against my expenses to obtain it.

Cees

#18 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
You, on the other hand, assumed that everything would be mostly OK, so when something occurred which made you question that, you came around 180 degrees and started to demand back concessions you had made when you adopted DVD -- along the lines of the Spanish proverb about the converted Moor who eats pork three times a day.
No, now you're misrepresenting my opinion. Most of the "concessions" I'm rejecting have never been accepted by me in the past. Your funny construction that they "are mostly the same as on DVD" isn't true in the first place. We're talking about consequences of the new DRM schemes having far more serious impact - the whole being much closer to the point of rejection in my decision space. Posted Image

Quote:
More generally, the ethics and morals of record and movie studios have never seemed exactly lily-white to me.
Fine, so you basically agree with me then. (I do suppose that you don't find them more innocent because you, of all people, realized it earlier?)

Cees

#19 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 11:34 AM

No your impression is right, what you think you are to believe is wrong.
However, I repeat, most of the concessions I'm rejecting I never accepted in the past.

(Oh, and now you're at it: believe it or not, there are some prisonable offenses in the US that are not so in my country. Posted Image )

Cees

#20 of 451 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, and now you're at it: believe it or not, there are some prisonable offenses in the US that are not so in my country.
Ripping off copies of copyrighted material is not an imprisonable offence in the Netherlands?
Although I didn't say that, no I don't think it is.
Perhaps, under certain circumstances you would get fined, I don't know.
Of course organisations cannot sell material copyrighted by someone else and the punishment may depend on the severity of the "offense".

Also, I don't think that something like the DMA will ever become a law here during my lifetime. And why do you think the European Union forced Microsoft to separate their Windows Media Player from their OS? We want to be able to implement our "own" versions of DRM, not necessarily the US types (or perhaps even not at all).

Cees

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow