What's new

refurbished 4805's? Pros- Cons? (1 Viewer)

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
I look at these things on E-bay and I just don't know what to make of them. Does anyone out there have any expirience with one? How extensive is their "re-manufacturing" and what kinds of problems did most of the units have to get them returned initially? How big of a roll of the dice do you think this is? Obviously the prices seem pretty low, and that may be why I'm feeling cautious. What am I missing here? This is the conversation that's going on in my head:

Me: Oooh! That's cheap! I really want one of those babies!
Me: Wait a minute, if the deal is so great how come everybody and their little brother doesn't get one this way?
Me: Dude, it's from the MANUFACTURER! They probably went over this thing even better than the ones going out the door new!
Me: Well, maybe, but then why is the warranty any shorter?
Me: I don't know, let's hit the Forum.
Me: Yes, let's.

So here I am. Any pros or cons to aquiring a PJ this way are greatly appreciated.
Matt

John S

Senior HTF Member
Jim Mcc, some of the projetcors on ebay are from Infocus themselves. I'd feel pretty confident about them direct from the manufacturer.

But, I purchased mine straight from the Infocus store. Seems they actually run better deals on the stor site than on ebay in all honesty.

I went for the refurb SP5000 and at only 10 days with it, exremely heavily used as my only display inmy living room, I have to say at this point, it is going to work out very well for me.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
i think the warranty is shorter because they want to differentiate the refurb product from the new product

you have to ask whether the extra 300 bucks is worth it for a longer warranty ? (90 days vs 2 years) lamps is 90 days on both new and refurb

many people over at avs forum were buying these on black friday deals for 500-600 bucks

they were fairly unanimous in their satisfaction with their purchase

most people were saying that they got what looked like a brand new projector with 0 hours on the bulb

don't forget that with electronics, most problems happen within the first 90 days

if i were going to do it, i would certainly feel confident using the infocus ebay store

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
I guess 90 days really isn't too bad. I plan to have at least several hundred hours clocked in the first couple weeks or so anyway. So I'll probably find out if something is screwy pretty quickly. I'll ponder this a little longer and then find where I think my best deal is coming from. (Unless there are any horror stories out there!)

Users who are viewing this thread