What's new

Do/Did You Watch More Movies With FP (1 Viewer)

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Since I got my new FP, it seems like I watch more movies than ever before. Something about a BIG screen that ties in with big sound to make it all come together. Anyone else?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I find myself watching more HDTV than I used to. I don't think it is possible for me to watch more movies than I always have. :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Since I got my FP I'm either viewing DVD's or HD cable. And I'm definitely viewing and purchasing many movies that I wouldn't have otherwise. In many cases the movies that I'm purchasing are the ones that I never got to see on a big screen in a theater. Movies like "Around the World in 80 Days" (Original), "Ben-Hur", "The Ten Commandments", "2001", "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". These movies seem brand new when viewed on a FP system. Mix in all the (more current) movies and I'm definitely viewing more movies now!

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I knew it wasn't just me. And, I seem to be buying dvd's all the time now. I get real good deals on pre-viewed movies at my local Movie Gallery. Buy 2 and get 2 free. Been buying more popcorn lately too. :D

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
absolutely

prediction: in 15 years everyone will have at least 2 sets, an fp for movies and one or more 32-42 inch tv's for non- movie type stuff like evercise dvd's, news, and so on.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I had to pull out Deliverance and watch it.

I agree it is mostly the old stuff that really seems to get me excited. Like see'n it for the first time.

It seemed more graphic and disturbing than I ever remembered it on any of my old displays.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I guess that some of us are about 21 years ahead of our time. In my case that's probably good for in 15 years I'll probably be back on Pablum.

:laugh: :laugh:

If you check out my HT site in the link below you'll see how it looked until about a month ago. Now there is a 1080p set in place of the retired Pioneer Elite. I haven't updated my site with all the new equipment yet because I'm still waiting for a working HP MD5880n to be delivered. When I'm done, the Runco will be the least capable display that I use regularly (I have a plasma upstairs.) That's a sobering thought.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I have a 53" Sony 4:3 built into the wall. I use it for local broadcast and regular TV viewing. But when I want to watch a movie on DVD, I pull down the screen and get a big picture. I've got updated pics in my homepage that shows the tv makeover.
Robert. Nice setup. Looks like your upgrades were major ones. WOW

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
robert, nice ht setup

i have a 750 sq ft condo

if i knock down the bedroom wall and get rid of my bedroom and living room furniture i might be able to do something like it

i wonder if that would be going a little overboard?

naaah....

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I decided a while back that in preparation for all the new stuff coming out (Blu-ray, HD DVD, etc.) that it was prudent to upgrade to sets that took a digital input. This would avoid any potential copy protection resolution inhibition. My Runco already had DVI (HDCP compliant) so that wasn't a problem (I don't use the audio aspect of HDMI in the front projector so that wasn't an issue. Besides the HDMI implementations keep adding to the HDMI audio capabilities and I didn't want to play that game). The new plasma (37" Panasonic) has HDMI and the HP 1080p has HDMI inputs which accept a native 1080p input so I should be set for quite some time.

I also added some other goodies (all thanks to what I saw at CEDIA). This includes a Velodyne SMS-1 (Digital subwoofer management system with auto room equalization) and a DVD0 IScan VP30 (HD scaler/hub with an "any resolution in, any resolution out" capability all the way up to and including 1080p.)

Now if I can only get the darn HP replacement to arrive for the dead set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks