-

Photo
- - - - -

$314 for the Toshiba HD-DVD Player?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 10:14 AM

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=629952

Talk about a price war! Will the PS3 be available at that price?

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 12:22 PM

That price turned out to be a mistake on BBs part. The price was corrected to $499US pretty quick . The ones who ordered are still debating whether BB will honor the price. My guess is they won't, since they don't have to.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 01:59 PM

Yeah too good to be true.

Hopefully though players will start coming down in price fast like DVD did.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 09:30 AM

$499 is MSRP. Street price tend to be around 60%-70% of MSRP. Therefore, although it's been corrected back to the MSRP, chances are the players will be streeting at approximately $300-$350

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,640 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 10:12 AM

I payed more for my first SD-player, a Toshiba too, back in 1997.

Cees

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 10:14 AM

As mentioned on a different thread, I paid around US$200-ish for Panasonic DVD-A100 in March 1997.

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 10:25 AM

Wow, that's a great price. I paid $260 for my Tosh SD2109 in October '99.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 11:05 AM

Why wouldn't Best Buy honor the price, if the orders went through while that price was posted?

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted January 16 2006 - 12:50 PM

There terms of service state they are not responsible for pricing errors and will correct when noticed.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 04:20 AM

That was still about $114 too much. If these formats are going to compete with DVD, they've got to be $200 or lower, IMO.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 04:23 AM

It's not supposed to compete with SD DVD yet. Right now they are battling agains each other (BD vs HD DVD), when one format won, only then they will compete with SD DVD.

Heck, DVD competed with VHS and their intro price was around $500 (MSRP) vs Hi-fi VHS's $100 tag.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,347 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 17 2006 - 05:02 AM

I paid £420 ($740) for my first dvd player, multiregion JVC, back in 1999, six cheaper dvd players later and that first one remains the worst and least reliable to date.

Hopefully when I eventually make the leap from Standard-DVD to Ultra Definition-DVD, sometime in 2019, players will be at a decent affordable price. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 06:32 AM

I paid about 300 for my first player Pioneer DVD 414 and still going strong. It comes down a little more I just might get my feet wet.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
It's not supposed to compete with SD DVD yet.

I hear you, I'm aware that the tactic is currently to aim only for the high end enthusiasts and the early adopters.

However, that tactic has been a failure in recent years (the failure of SACD and DVDA). It may be that today, they need to aim at general audiences.

I cast my vote in that direction, if it means I can get a $200 BluRay player by Xmas!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Pioneer's Andy Parsons: We'll certainly be looking to introduce lower priced models as quickly as is warranted by market demand. As we were saying before, I think it really comes down to getting the early adopter market satisfied on the performance side, and then as the market matures, people who are a bit further down on the consumer pyramid will be addressed. As you go deeper and deeper into the market, that's when price becomes more important. When that time comes, we'll definitely be ready with product that's priced accordingly. But I think right now, with the format launch, we're really targeting this to the the early adopters - the videophiles - with the right price to performance ratio for that market. The idea - as it seems HD-DVD is trying to do - of trying to accelerate demand by lowering price right from Day One seems a little bit out of sync. I don't think the early adopters are most focused on price. They're focused on performance.

Quote:
AP: Yeah, we had no trouble selling our laserdisc/DVD combination players when they were $1295. When they first came out, the DVL-700 and the DVL-90, we had trouble keeping those in stock, even though there were cheaper DVD players on the market. I think Sony said that their $1000 player outsold their $500 players by a healthy margin, simply because the $1000 player had the quality and performance features and cache that the early adopters wanted. So I think if you look at how this whole market takes off, and the way that early adopters behave - and we've had a lot of experience in this at Pioneer - that's the reason that we thought that our first Blu-ray player would be a good product to put in our Elite category.

Seems to make sense. The other thing I was wondering is how Toshiba expects to get manufacturing support when they are driving the price down. At $500 they have the appearance of making a razor thin margin if they are making any profit at all. Where's your incentive to make a player for HD-DVD if it's being marketed as a bargain basement product?

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 12:16 PM

Quote:
But I think right now, with the format launch, we're really targeting this to the the early adopters - the videophiles - with the right price to performance ratio for that market. The idea - as it seems HD-DVD is trying to do - of trying to accelerate demand by lowering price right from Day One seems a little bit out of sync.

Out of synch on purpose! I hate to say it but the BluRay crowd is essentially saying they're willing to blow the first year. I hope that their plan to neglect regular consumers works.

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 12:59 PM

Will,

that's not the whole blu-ray crowd...just Pioneer talking there. They've always aimed "hi end" first-off and then dropped prices. Sony typically does the same thing, though their more affordable gear isn't as far behind.

I'm more of the mind that it makes sense to give the rich videophiles their $$$ option while at the same time giving the videophiles-on-a-buget *their* option so they don't have to wait a year or two to dive into the format. Hopefully the PS3 will be the "poor man's BD player" near the format's launch with other more affordable players not too far after.

Quote:
At $500 they have the appearance of making a razor thin margin if they are making any profit at all.

Toshiba is LOSING money on the gear. They are willing to sacrifice and lose a lot of $$$ on the hardware side to try to gain ground on the format adoption. Sony will also lose money on their PS3.

But as someone else in another thread said...it's like giving out free crack to people on the street. You lose money in that action...but once their addicted they come back for more and more. If either camp can establish their format for long-term viability, they stand to make much more in royalties and margins off of disc sales than they'll lose initically during the launch on gear. At least that's what they are hoping!!!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 08:23 PM

Toshiba benefits from an agreement with Microsoft to jointly develop its DVD player.

Need I say more? Oh yeah: maybe it isn't Toshiba who'll eat the loss on their player.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 08:57 PM

What financial agreement are you refering to? MS are helping implement iHD (the interactive layer for menus and more on HD DVD), and are also planning on having an HD DVD add on drive for X360. I'm unclear how either of these arrangements will add much profit to the Toshiba kitty.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 10:24 PM

Microsoft, Toshiba to jointly develop HD DVD players

Rob, I didn't say a 'financial' agreement. I said a joint development agreement. But then again, you can't develop anything without cash, now can you? And Toshiba's financial situation is not too healthy, what with the competition they get on LCD and the CES launch delay.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow