What's new

Ultraviolet (merged) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Three years ago, Dimension dumped a little action film in theaters called Equilibrium. A little B-action film, it still boasted a great cast, interesting premise, and unbelievable action scenes.

The director has moved on to Ultraviolet, which looked like a much weaker premise with a much weaker cast (granted). But he took the one truly special thing in Equilibrium and ramped it up. In a big way.

If you like action, then this trailer will...well, you'll see.
Rather impressed

At least they are selling the film right. I expect audiences will see this trailer before Underworld: Evolution and be rather unimpressed with the action in the film they paid to see. I imagine this'll make more on opening day than Equilibrium made in it's, uhhhh, two days in theaters :) I doubt it's going to win Oscars, but there is no way I am missing this one the big screen.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually looked up the cast, and it doesn't look too bad. Certainly, there isn't that much "name" appeal, but most of the ones I'm familiar with are pretty decent B level talent. For example, I thought Nick Chinlund was one of the better things about "The Chronicles Of Riddick", and William Fichtner has been interesting in the stuff I've seen him in.

I like Milla's look. The long hair suits her well here.

As for the trailer, I have some problems with it. I'm not exactly hot about the Domino-esk voiceover. The CGI looks cheap, but that is to be expected.

In any case, I'm looking forward to it, if at the very least because Wimmer seems to know how to film action and it will be fun on that level.

Jason

Kain_C

Screenwriter
One thing IS certain; Milla is one sexy thing.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It looks like the same low budget generic future most B-movies have. But Wimmer has some interesting ideas, and he can really, really, really shoot creative action scenes. I agree about the voiceover and the CG, but that's not why I linked it :) It's all about the action with this film. Anything else is a bonus.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'll definitely catch this on the big screen. I enjoyed Equilibrium very much, and the action in this seems similar. Plus, Mila is not bad to look at. :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I learned about Equilibrium via DVD, so I'll probably check this out in the theater.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I don't buy it. I just watched the trailer, and I don't buy Milla Jovovich kicking everyones ass. She looks out of place. Is it just me?

Now, replace her with Kill Bill's Uma Thurman, The Matrix's Carrie-Anne Moss, Aliens' Sigourney Weaver, Terminator II's Linda Hamilton, etc. and then you'll have a more convincing leading lady in an action movie.

However, from what I've read so far, most people seem to be putting their faith in the Director's past accomplishment with Equilibrium, rather than in Jovovich's fighting credibility?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jovovich has played an action heroine MORE than Sigourney, Hamilton, and Thurman (Moss has her beat). And I never agreed about Uma Thurman...KB was fun, but not relevatory.

Why would I care about the actor in an action film? He made Bale look like a champ. Bale had NEVER played an action hero (filmed before Reign of Fire), but played one convincingly enough to be cast as The Batman. Jovovich was in some mediocre movies, but Resident Evil I and II, The Fifth Element, The Messenger (sort of) shows she can do OK action with mediocre directors.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Her action performance was rather unconvincing to me. I was never convinced that she was a ass-kicking heroine ANYWHERE near the same level as the others you mentioned. She isn't used to action movies, and it showed greatly in Kill Bill, although I still enjoyed the movies. Milla has her beat, no doubt.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I never saw Resident Evil I, but did see Resident Evil II and The Fifth Element and I thought that Milla was pretty convincing as an action hero in those films.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I read a review of the film from a test screening. The person was impressed by the action scenes, but he thought the dialogue was bad.

I loved Wimmer's previous film and I have been waiting for this for over a year.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this movie based on a mini-series or British tv show from a few years ago?

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Chuck,

What's up man, haven't chatted with you in a while. I hope you had a great holiday. I also hope you and everyone on the forum are having a great new year so far.

1.) Thanks for the link to the trailer, I couldn't hear the sound, but for a trailer like Ultraviolet I don't think sound is as important as the video portion.

2.)I don't have a problem with Milla Jovovich in action films. While I wouldn't put her in the same category as Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, or Carrie-Ann Moss, she isn't bad at all. As a matter of fact it seems like Milla and Kate Beckinsale are running neck and neck for the action woman title.

3.) I agree with you on the whole Uma/Kill Bill situation. For a man who claims that he loves the b-rated martial arts films, I could never understand why Tarantino didn't cast Cynthia Rothrock or Michelle Yeoh as Beatrice Kiddo (the Bride).

4.)In my opinion Ultraviolet already has one thing going for it; at least the female lead isn't dressed in black leather, that look is really played out.

5.) I was one of the few people fortunate enough to catch Equilibrium in the theaters. With that in mind, I must say that Kurt Wimmer does know how to stage good action sequences. As a matter of fact, I wish Kurt Wimmer would have worked with Bale on Batman Begins, at least with the fighting sequences. That Keysi fighting style that Christopher Nolan brought to the silver screen is bulls#*t.

Anyway Chuck, just had to get a Batman Begins rant in, just a quick one. Look forward to your reply and I'll definitely be catching Ultraviolet in the theaters.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Been looking forward to this one ever since the early word came out. I loves the Milla, and Wimmer's Equilibirum is one tasty sci-fi stew.

But I'm NOT happy with the PG-13 that Sony had to have. Grrr.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
A friend just showed me the trailer on Friday, and showed it to me because of Equilibrium.

One word: OMG! :D

Wow, go Wimmer! Equilibrium is one of the best unrecognized films ever, and that the same guy has another project is just awesome. Can't wait; I'm more excited for this than Underworld Evolution; which itself already looks pretty good.

This looks better.

And objecting to Milla is silly; she's been doing action female since Fifth Element, before the chicks doing it these days have been.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm interested in this enough that I had to start compling info for an article on the movie for my web site. I have been waiting for ultraviolet for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks