What's new

Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Carole Lombard DVD sets on April 4th (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
From DVDAnswers:

Title: 3 Glamour Collections
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 4th April 2006
SRP: $26.98 Each

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced three new Glamour Collections for Marlene Dietrich, Mae West and Carole Lombard titles. Each two-disc set will include five films, with the exception of the Carole Lombard set - which will include six. The Marlene Dietrich Collection will include Morocco, Blonde Venus, The Devil Is a Woman, Flame of New Orleans and Golden Earrings. The Mae West package will include Night After Night, I`m No Angel, Goin` To Town, Go West Young Man and My Little Chickadee. Lastly, the Carole Lombard set will include Man of the World, We`re Not Dressing, Hands Across the Table, Love Before Breakfast, The Princess Comes Across and True Confession. Each film will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. The only extra material will be some trailers. You'll be able to own each Glamour Collection from the 4th April, priced at around $26.98 a pop

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
these would be great bargins if they played properly.

looking forward to picking up the Lombard set, but i'm a little disappointed to still not see Claudette Colberts films collected yet. a 'glamour' promotion would have been the ideal time to do it.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Not only a Colbert Collection is neeed, also a Barbara Stanwyck oe.

I'll pick all the 3 collections, and I am very satisfied with the movie selections. Here hoping they will release volume 2.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its nice the Universal is finally diving into the Paramount films of the 1930's and 1940's.

I would love for them to do some director sets for Lubitsch.
DeMille, Sturges, and Wilder .

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From DVD Times:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Glamour Collection, a series of box-sets containing multiple features starring one of three leading ladies from the early years of cinema.

Available from 4th April 2006 priced at $26.98 SRP are:

Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection - This two-disc set (2xDVD18) includes 6 films: Man of the World, We’re Not Dressing, Hands Across the Table, Love Before Breakfast, The Princess Comes Across and True Confession. All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono and optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. A Theatrical Trailer is present for We’re Not Dressing.

Mae West: The Glamour Collection - This two-disc set (1xDVD14, 1xDVD9) includes 5 films: Night After Night, I’m No Angel, Goin’ To Town, Go West Young Man and My Little Chickadee. All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono and optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. A Theatrical Trailer is present for 3 of the 5 features (1, 2 and 5).

Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection - This two-disc set (1xDVD18, 1xDVD5) includes 5 films (4 on the DVD18, 1 on the DVD5): Morocco, Blonde Venus, The Devil is a Woman, Flame of New Orleans and Golden Earrings. All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono and optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. A Theatrical Trailer is present for 2 of the 5 features (first and last).

Good that they've forewarned us of the DVD 18s - they have been providing problems for some. But that issue aside, fabulous news...

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
With dvd-18's, I'm going to wait until some reviews come in before I jump onto any of these. The Lombard set interests me the most. Heck, I haven't seen "Love Before Breakfast" since a late-show back in the 1970s. And, "Man of the World?" Can't recall that one at all. Must be one of those early Paramounts. I'd almost want to bet that William Powell is in it.

I haven't bought any of the Universal sets because of their recent (or not, depending on how long your memory is) track record with quality. I also don't care much for their packaging; I prefer individual movies in individual cases, if at all possible. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying the Harold Lloyd set. I believe the HL set was New Line (?), but why can't Warner's just own every classic movie ever made? :D

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I can't wait for the Lombard movies. I really want Colbert too!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
More outlay - What with the up-coming Warner Classic Musical box sets, the Fox Musicals and now these must have gems, where does one get the money to afford them all.
Still, it is great news and no doubt I'll find a way.

How about some early classic Bing Crosby.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This is why I had to laugh at all the votes Universal got for worst studio of the year. They're doing a lot more with their classics than MGM, Columbia and Fox.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
:eek:
That is sort of the way i feel about this at the moment, and then reading that it was dvd-18 i can see where this is going. I can see it in all of the responses already, this is something that we all want but are concerned as to what we will really get. Six films on two disc, not even the PD companies do that , i think we should expect more form one of the major studios, sad point is if it sales bad they wont take the chance of releasing classic titles

I know that right now these are not going to be blind buys for me. And i agree that Uni is at the moment at least taking the effort to release of of its classic catalog titles, agreed more than MGM, Columbia and Fox.

What i am surprised at is that they haven't learned from their past releases, and of course we have another "series" to deal with as well. Ok WB has the "Signature Collection's" and the "Two -Disc Special Editions'"; Fox has "Studio Classics" Columbia has pretty much done away with its classic, and now that Sony is in charge don't know what to expect from MGM.

What i am driving at is that UNI has released, "Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection"; then there is the "Legacy Series" . Those were great sets, and also the Marx Brothers "Silver Screen Collection" If package space is the problem go with slim cases in a box like you have done with some of the TV sets, decent artwork on the outside, and then make the art department use the one sheets for the dvdcoverart, it works!

Take a look at that UNI, and i see a Mae West "Silver Screen Collection" or as a companion to WC Fields Collection: separate disc for each movie.

Marlene Dietrich: The Masterpiece Collection(all owned)

Carole Lombard: The Masterpiece Collection(all owned)

Claudette Colbert: The Masterpiece Collection(all owned)

Barbara Stanwyck: The Masterpiece Collection(all owned)

In these various sets i could see some "Legacy Series " releases, "Double Indemnity" , its just that maybe if they took the time as always to remaster and do what is above right tell me they could make this a great year for fans of classics. For that alone would be pretty comparable to Davis / Crawford/ Astair/Rodgers/ all we can do is hope they delay and do this right.

ted:r

Second Unit
I must say I'm ecstatic over the Dietrich set. 3 von Sternbergs! I thought Christmas had passed...

And yes, while I understand concerns about DVD-18s and Universal in general, if this is the only way we'll get these movies, then so be it. Yes, I'd love Criterion versions of all the films I love that are not currently available on DVD. But I'd rather have a DVD-18 Version than no version at all.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I've been waiting impatiently for the von Sternbergs too; I knew it was too much to hope that they'd be done in a first-class manner, i.e. one film per DVD, and mastered from the glorious UCLA restorations. THE SCARLET EMPRESS, my all-time favorite film, is SO disappointing in its current Criterion release.

Universal released a larger number of Dietrich titles, inexplicably only in France, in December. The "missing" von Sternbergs are present in that collection, other than SHANGHAI EXPRESS, which seems to have been pulled at the last minute. I've already ordered these from Amazon France, but I'm glad to see that Universal is releasing at least some of them domestically.

I'm simply amazed that SHE DONE HIM WRONG isn't in the Mae West collection, yet MY LITTLE CHICKADEE repeats its appearance from the Fields collection. Let's hope for Volume Two.

Very pleased about the more obscure Carole Lombard titles. Now let's hope for more Lubitsch, DeMille, Colbert, Fields, and so many other untapped goodies!

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Don't ask me why, but the Mae West set already available from Universal in England has a different (and, I think, much better) lineup. That set includes She Done Him Wrong (1933), I'm No Angel (1933), Belle of the Nineties (1934), Klondike Annie (1934), My Little Chickadee (1940), and The Heat's On (1943).

movies and fun: www.inthebalcony.com

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
US set $26.98 srp; UK set (at current conversion rates) around $88 rrp. The packaging and presentation is vastly different (and the R2 is simply impractical), but better line-up or no, that's the one big reason I've been holding out for R1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks