What's new

Question about hooking up a new refrigerator... (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I just moved into a brand new house (new construction). I had ordered a new fridge, which just arrived. I'll mention there is a simple Culligan water filter installed under the sink, along with a goose neck faucet for drinking water. I see blue hose running from the Culligan system. In the spot where the refrigerator goes, there is a blue hose coming out of the floor (is this from the Culligan filter?), but there is also a water spout there in the wall. Which do I use for my refrigerator - one or both? My refrigerator has a water purification system built in for the water and ice dispensers. If that blue hose is coming from the Culligan purifier, would I still want to use that hose and essentially "doubly purify" the water/ice in the refrigerator. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

i don't know man. should only have on hose. and that is simply to get the water into the fridge. once inside, it gets purified unless you have purifier on the line before it hits the fridge
larry

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
You certainly don't need both. If you can verify that the blue hose is from the Culligan filter and it's compatible with the fitting on the back of the fridge, I'd go with that.

If it's not, then you'll need to go to Home Depot and get a spout to 1/4" fitting, then run a copper line from that to the fridge. You should only need a compression nut and a sleeve to connect to the fridge water connection. At least that's how my LG worked.

In my case, I had to tap the cold water pipe and put in one of those self piercing valves. Hooked up 1/4" copper pipe, ran it through my base cabinets to the fridge. Then a compression nut and sleeve connection as noted above.

Be careful about not over torquing the nut/sleeve to the fridge. Torque it just enough so that water doesn't come out of the nut.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Depends on what your codes require. Copper is more durable and less prone to bursting. I don't think copper is required here in CA so flexible tubing was an option. However, I opted for copper so I don't have to worry as much about a flood. More piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks