What's new

Two Things That I Think Are Priced Unreasonably (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
1) Razor blades. I use Mach 3 disposables. Why they cost a bit over a buck each I can't figure out because they're cranking them out faster than can be imagined. It's not like their little circuits. Drop the price already.

2) Bottled water. I really don't understand why bottled water costs as much as it does. It's not beer or soda. There's pretty minimal advertising and the pagaging isn't much to brag about. QC isn't all that much either considering you've got to do the same QC and a hell of a lot more for beverages.

I guess there's a lot of other things that just don't seem reasonably priced to me considering what they're made of or how they're made. Anybody else has things they think are just overpriced?

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
1 - Batteries (I've switched almost exclusively to rechargables due to the expense of disposables)

2 - Printer ink cartridges (a full replacement set sometimes cost more than the printer itself)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Premium priced 2-Disc "Deluxe" editions of DVD where some studios set an MSRP of $10 more than the one disc version for a disc of some extras.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

We were just having this conversation literally 5 minutes ago here at work, while I was filling up my Dasani bottle at the filtered water machine and joking that I needed to make some more bottled water.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Penn & Teller did a segment on bottled water. One manufacturer was filling their bottles with a small town's water supply. Basically, tap water! :)

As for razor blades, I wouldn't know. I have a beard. The only disadvantage? I look like an escaped convict on my passport photo! :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

The water conglomerate Bisleri takes the well water from Chateaugay, NY (shat-oh-Gee if your French Shad-ah-gay if your from Chatauegay) and sells it all over the country using an assortment of brand names.

So upstate NY may have a sucky night-life, but we get pricey bottled water on tap! :D

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I agree with all the above.
I'll add Starbucks or any coffe joint.
Milk at a resturant.
Maui Jim and Oakley sunglasses.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I have a friend that used to work at Coke Bottling (or whatever the official name is). Anyway, he said it's actually cheaper to make soda than water. I know that sounds crazy, but he says they use the same tap water for Coke and Desani, but the mineral packet they put in the Desani is more expensive than the syrup for the Coke.

I still think it's nuts to pay that much for bottled water, but just thought I'd add that piece of information.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I'll second all of those..with an emphasis on Milk at a restaurant. What the hell? Its like $3 for a small glass and no refills!

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

See, now this is the reason I will NEVER drink Dasani. It's not like it's spring water, or anything. No, it's tap water with a mineral packet in it. Ew.

Oh, and might I add to the list, books. Specifically, hard cover books. Way to expensive if you ask me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"So upstate NY may have a sucky night-life, but we get pricey bottled water on tap!"

My girlfriend lives on a mountain right off the Taconic in Fishkill NY and has artesian well water.
Its very celan and tates better than most bottled water Ive had. I save $ on bottled water by just filling up at her house.

My pick would be homes.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Homes. Yes.

$431,000 median price for a home where I am.

And for that you get two bedrooms in only a marginally decent neighborhood at best.

:thumbsdown:

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Yeh for gentrification! Around here, $400+K buys you a 12x50 row home in a trash-strewn, anti-parking, homeless convention of a neighborhood! Suckers!

Hard back books are ridiculously overpriced. So are $7 paperbacks. When I used to work in bookstores, we had to tear the covers off of returns, return the covers and TRASH THE BOOK ITSELF. Insane. Thank goodness for used bookstores and for The Baltimore Bookthing. Never pay full price for a book! NEVER!

Cheese. Cheese is also overpriced, as far as I'm concerned.

MC

Colton

Supporting Actor
The #1 over-priced item ...

APPETIZERS! Go to any resturant and appetizers cost just as much as a regular meal. Why bother? Appetizers should be half of what a normal meal would cost and sometimes they bring it out about the same time your main course comes. Seven bucks for fried cheese sticks? No way! It's outrageous! I'm mad just thinking about it! :angry: :thumbsdown:

- Colton

Hunter P

Screenwriter

This is how the printer companies make their money. Sell the printer at cost or for a loss so that you are locked into a specific cartridge for refills. This is why printer cartridges are not standardized.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Thats a good one Colton. I would say Gasoline, but I don't want to start that whole thing up again...

For me personally, diapers seem over priced, but that could just be me.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Cable TV - $50 for basic? I get 30 more channels if I just hook up a tv with a tuner to the cable, than if I pay for the lowest package.

Broadband - It's been 6 years now since broadband went mainstream and it costs more than when it debuted! And back then there weren't any caps on the pipe.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
How does that old quote go?

Something like, "Everything is worth exactly what you pay for it."

So, is razor blades (or whatever) are considered over priced, then don't buy them. If one is willing to pay for them, then that is what they are worth.

But what the heck do I know...I am no economist.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
As for printer cartridges, my brother and I always go with recycled. In fact, there is a company that has little kiosks set up in many of the local malls here in Washington State that will fill empties for about 10 bucks for a black ink, and 15-20 for color.

As for me, expense gripes -

1. Movie tickets - unless it is a movie my brothers and I REALLY want to see [we're sci fi/adventure/fantasy fans] we usually wait until the silly thing is on DVD.

2. Movie theater concessions - I worked at a theater when I was 19, and I know for a fact that that is where the theaters make their money, since the studios take most of the box office receipts. I mean, 5 bucks for a candy bar you can get at a regular store for $1.99 or less? Why not just beg moviegoers to bring in their own snacks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks