Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer with digital input and remote?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Ma

Robert Ma

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted January 08 2006 - 08:45 AM

I want a better listening system for my mp3’s on my computer. Looking around I found the Logitech Z-5500 and Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 systems that have a feature I need. Basically the system controllers take in a digital input and there is even a remote control on the Z-5500 system.

Here’s the thing. I have a pair of old Epicure model 5 bookshelfs (over 15 years old!) that I’m in love with for music. They have a rich and full sound that just kills all the current satellite speaker systems out there. I currently have these fed off my Creative Inspire 5.1 computer sub (LOL) for a very respectable sound but this is just temporary.

In a perfect world I would buy a sub or a satellite system that has these options:

•Adjustable Cross-over to the bookshelf’s or at least no higher than 80hz. I bet most are at 120. I may consider 100hz but I think 80 would be the sweet spot with my speakers.
•Digital input
•Be somewhat compact (no receivers, etc)
•Remote Control for volume (last on the specs)

I know this is a pipe dream but the Logitech Z-5500 comes close. I wonder what it’s cross is set at. I bet 120 which is a deal breaker. Are there any home theater subs that might fit the specs?

If I can’t find something, I have a spare pre-amp in the closet (Marantz AV-550) that I could use and pick up an amp and sub but this doesn’t satisfy the compact area. I don’t want my computer work area cluttered with audio gear. I plan on hanging a pair of shelves up for the speakers.

Another alternative I am thinking about is seeing how the Denon S-101 sounds. It’s pricey and by the looks of the speakers I highly doubt it would satisfy my ears with music. This system will be my main music listening area, CD's, MP3's, etc.

All opinions welcomed.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 09 2006 - 04:46 AM

What do you mean by digital input? There are no subs with a digital input, AFAIK. Few subs come with remotes. It's a nice feature, but also usually an added cost, which is why it is much less common.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted January 09 2006 - 06:07 AM

Ask and you shall receive. Subwoofers with DSP and remotes.

http://www.vanns.com....ures/549544904

http://www.vanns.com....ails/549388546