What's new

'Drunk Boy' brought to you by Applebee's (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is truly amazing. If I was the boy's mother, I'd be suing for a lot more than $75,000 for making my 5 YO drunk. From the NY Post:

"Now the boy's mom, Cynthia Pereles, is suing the chain eatery and a downtown franchise for serving her son, Seth, a Long Island Iced Tea — a walloping cocktail of white rum, gin, vodka, triple sec, coke and sweet-and-sour mix.

Pareles, 33, said Seth, who'd been pestering the waiter, gagged when he took the first swig of his "juice" while he ate dinner with two cousins.

"I thought he was just being a pain in the neck," Pareles said. "He sipped it again and said 'Uch, uch. That's nasty.' "

As her child's behavior became erratic, Pareles said, she eventually took a sip and tasted alcohol.

Pereles said she confronted the staff about the drink, and that the manager admitted the restaurant somehow gave Seth the cocktail.

"He was laughing uncontrollably, his eyes were glazed, and he started licking the wicker bread basket," Pereles said. "He was not Seth . . . He said, 'Mom, I can't listen to you because of that nasty drink.' "

The panicked mother, who says she never even lets her son drink soda, left the restaurant. On the street, Seth "was hollering, yelling people's names, laughing hysterically and bending over."

A police officer approached and advised her to fill out a report and call an ambulance. As a precaution, Seth was strapped into a stretcher and taken to Beth Israel Medical Center. "He crashed in the ambulance. He was so tired," Pereles said.
"

Let's hope, for the child's sake, that his mom isn't another Anna Ayala. Either way, someone is getting locked up, most likely the server. BTW, the Long Island Iced Tea was served in a child's beverage cup:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if it was in a normal glass, the server could say it was just a mixup. anyone who poured or mixed a (strong) drink in a child's cup will get a stiff punishment.

CJ

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Ayala is the woman who claimed to have a found a human finger in her Wendy's chilli.

She also has a history of other frivolous/fraudulent lawsuits.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
75K seems low to me. I understand they fired the waiter who served the drink intentionally.

Also, the manager made her pay the tab for dinner.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't get this mentality. Why is 75K too low?

I would be happy with the firing of the employee (I would settle for NO less), reimboursement of all expenses associated with this matter (diner, hospital and legal fees if it comes to that). And perhaps a little something on top to buy a nice gift for the kid, or a complimentary diner ticket (which any half decent manager would have offered).

Making money over such matters is obscene, but that's just me. It is a widely accepted behavior in this country.

In any case, next time my daughter says something tastes nasty, I will definitely pay closer attention.

--
H

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking scam. If...and I mean if it was done by the employee of the restaurant, intentionally or not, at minimum there should be legal charges of serving to a minor before any talk of civil restitution.

Puhleeeeez! That's a little too convenient that the child supposedly referred specifically to the drink regarding his own behavior. I'm not buying it. And "Uch...this tastes nasty." doesn't warrant a sip from the mom right from the start? Just how much of this drink did the mom let him choke down before she decided to check into it?

Insect in the salad...finger in the chili...booze in the kiddie cup. It's all sounding the same to me. Any bets that the mother has a history of claims like this?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Yeah, a child's health was endangered, and that's an opportunity to make money? :thumbsdown:

What Holadem suggested should be fine, assuming this isn't a scam.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
That's what the mom claims. There's no word at this point on any official statements from Applebee's or anyone other than the mother. If the manager actually said that, Applebee's corporate will have his/her head for compromising their position before the truth could be established.

If it's truly Applebee's/the employee's fault and it was intentional then charges should definitely be filed. But unless there is an allergy and/or medical complications involved, then 75K is excessive.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
The server was most likely part of the scam.

Another part of the story that doesn't add up:

If the kid says it tastes nasty, he isn't going to sit there and drink the whole thing. Kids are notorious for refusing to eat/drink bad tasting things. And a couple sips is not going to account for the behaviour described in the article.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
reading the recent posts, that's exactly what i was thinking. the server took the kid's cup, ordered the drink, and poured it in. and another thing that doesnt add up for me. she said the manager admitted to the restaurant serving the drink, but still made her pay for the meal? either someone is lying, or i'm totally wrong about what i think a manager would do in that situation.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks