Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Help me choose a projector

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   RobV

RobV

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 12:25 PM

Hello,
I just got rid of a Sony VPL-W400Q projector, Could anyone tell me of another projector that is of equal quality for around $2300.00. I have a room that is 20' by 15' and I can control all of the light.
Thank You..

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Pete B.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 04:30 PM

Rob,
Go here and read all the threads on the NEC LT-150. Supposedly best thing since sliced bread within your price range.

http://www.avsforum....ne=2&LastLogin=

When your ready to buy, support the forum by purchasing here:
http://www.hometheat....ML/007856.html

[Edited last by Pete B. on August 09, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   John-D

John-D

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 02:56 AM

Rob,

When you say you 'got rid' of the SONY, were u dissatisfied or was it malfunctioning in anyway?

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

The things we own, end up owning us

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   RobV

RobV

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 04:07 AM

Everything was fine with the Sony but had problems with the dealer. Ended up having to send it back I had no choice.
I Just found another one but wanted to find out about the NEC540 or the NEC LTC155. Thank You for Reply.

Both The NEC and the Sony I found Are brand new out of the box For the same price W/WARR.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 10:34 AM

There's a pretty good comparison of the two NEC projectors you mention at Projector Central .

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 04:50 PM

In your budget you can't go past the LT150. I've owned/tried almost a dozen LCD and DLP projectors in the past year and a half and the LT150 is the best.

There is also a mod being developed that will make it even better, more than doubling the already good contrast.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Toys

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted August 11 2001 - 10:48 PM

Steve:

What does the mod consist of? Do you have to have the projector itself modified or is this something that is an add on?

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 02:22 AM

Parker, there is info about the modifications in this AVS thread:
Thumper has performed his magic on an LT150!
The mod is apparently similar to what is described in this thread . In addition, there are people who are currently trying to use the computer input on the LT150 to further customize its performance (gamma adjustment in particular). See this thread .

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   RobV

RobV

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 05:32 AM

Thank's for all the Info. You put ne on the right tack.

Rob..

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 08:54 AM

I used to have a Thumper modded Plus UP1100 and it was a big improvement. If a similar gain can be had with the LT150 and a Dillard style calibration done it will be killer.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Toys

[Edited last by Stephen Dodds on August 12, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   MichaelHL

MichaelHL

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 05:04 PM

I am just looking at getting a new TV but would rather get the projector to use. How are you hookin it up to your DVD player? Will prograssive DVD be ok with it? And sorry for being ignorant, but what does HTPC mean? THanks for the help, I am kinda new to this but picking up and enjoying it greatly. Can;t wait to get the new equipment.

------------------
Michael

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Pete B.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 12 2001 - 07:25 PM

Michael,
Progressive vs. interlaced is the recommended way to go for the best quality on this projector. HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer.

Pete

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   MichaelHL

MichaelHL

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 07:12 AM

Thank you pete, That is what I thought but was not sure. I am looking at using a Sony 9000ES or a Panasonic RP91 player for it. I am going to put it firing toward a Dalite screen from the back of the room. But I am going to make it portable hopefully to where I can take it with me when I do presentations off my laptop. I have an extra computer but do not know if I want to hook it up to the projector for a HTPC. I think the picture would be much better with the player then the computer anyway. Any thoughts on this? The only part about making it portable is having to reset all the adjustments each time when I take it with me or is there something I can do about this? I kinda need it for both though. Any suggestions or idea on this and the best way to do it? Thanks for the help.

Michael

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Pete B.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 02:52 PM

Michael,
Not owning either a projector or HTPC, I would probably be the wrong individual to give you answers to your questions. I've been reading these forums regularly for sometime now debating on whether to go FPTV or WS RPTV so I've become slightly educated on the pros & cons of both & also recommended hardware choices for DVD, HDTV & analog playback. I suggest you hit the LCD & HTPC forums at http://www.avsforums.com for a lot more detailed info. It's amazing how much you'll learn just going through some of the posted threads! Good luck!

Pete

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 03:08 PM

Michael, an HTPC will almost always outperform a standalone dvd player when hooked up to an XGA or higher resolution projector. This is because the dvd image needs to be scaled to the native resolution of the projector. The scaling performed by a well-built HTPC is usually much better than the scaling performed by the projector itself.
As for settings, there is usually a menu option on most projectors to reset all settings to factory defaults. Beyond this, I would recommend you just write down what settings should be what. It shouldn't take more than a minute to set everything the way you want.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 12:37 AM

I saw a demo of the Plus HE-3100 "Piano" home theater projector at INFOCOMM:
http://www.plus-america.com

It's a DLP light engine unit based on TI's new Widescreen Component chip set, the 480P 848 x 480 res. They wouldn't divulge pricing, but said it will be very affordable, FWIW.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

[Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on August 14, 2001 at 07:58 AM]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users