What's new

KOJAK --- Season Two on DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Anyone know if and when Universal has plans to duplicate and release this set?

It's been almost a year since the first season came out, and there are 4 more years to go! Have home video sales been that poor for one of the most popular police drama series ever filmed?

I remember in one of the episodes when a witness that Kojak questions refers to him as a "Greek bowling ball"! :D

The 2nd season, by the way, introduced an improved version of the original theme music, and it's that new orchestration which this series is most famous for.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
sorry, Jeff. hope i don't kill this thread the way i did the Night Gallery one ;)- but i gotta say, a season 2 of Kojak is right up there with NG S2 for me.
i had a real blast witht he first set and am chomping at the bit for more Kojak. its a little disheartening to see how quickly things like A-Team and Magnum are coming out, and having ayear or more go by without an announcement or clue about these others.
i'm am surprised that Kojak doesn't seem to be as popular as even Columbo.

i do understand that the 80s properties are more popular because they make up the primary nostalgia period for the demographic that buys the most dvd product in general.
i think most of the 70s stuff (Columbo exceptd apparently) is just an unfortunate orphan to a point because the fans are just outside of the demographic pale (though still in a slightly better position than older fans for 60s and 50s material). and it is only going to get worse as the years advance and people start getting nostalgic for the 90s.

i'm really ticked at Universal for their quality control (i have to go to BB today to see about a replacement Rockford disc) which hurts because they have some of my most favorite properties.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't agree that this necessarily works in decades, Paul. It's a matter of who enjoys what and sometimes when the nostalgia factor holds.

Night Gallery never had that much of a following. Other than the presense and involvement of Rod Serling, it wasn't The Twilight Zone and although was sometimes very entertaining in its own right could never achieve the creative excellence of Twilight Zone. Serling himself was disappointed with his reduced role in the lster series.

Anthology series generally don't have the kind of respect of a show with continuing characters, although I can and do enjoy both.

Sometimes you can catch an interview with a rapper saying how when he grew up in the streets and getting arrested on a few occasions, that KOJAK was his isspiration for staying on the straight and narrow.

Lt. Theo Kojak was as much an 1970s inspirational (yet fictional) TV character) on today's culture as Al Pacino was in the 1980s playing Tony Montana in the movie Scarface. Granted that these men were on opposite sides of the law, they were always fascinating to watch.

Somebody at the USA Network had a fondless for Kojak, or else they wouldn't have revived the character over a year ago (played by Ving Rhames). It was a big mistake and even bigger failure, but at least that goes to show that everything old can be new again.

Even The Rockford Files coming out on DVD last month makes you wonder if Universal will put out any of the TV reunion movies from the 1990s.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i forgot that the Ving Rhames remake came out last year (duh! why else would the series have had a release). i thought for sure the series would still be popular and would sell well for what it was (a 30 year old show), but i never saw any figures to know.
but here it is a year later and we still haven't heard a peep about a follow up, so i can only speculate that sales were medicore or less so- otherwise Universal would have probably had a second set out by now.

you're right about Night Galley. its more than just the fact that its a '70s show' that is holding it back.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Don't forget that Telly Savalas returned to the role that he created with 2 Kojak TV movies in the mid 1980s.

Then in 1989-1990, he did 6 two hour episodes for the ABC Mystery Movie. So including the Rhames version, there hasn't been a decade without KOJAK!

So listen to Telly.....Call Player's Club today! ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Kojak on DVD didn't sell as well as hoped, I've heard. I'm not holding my breath for more seasons of it from Universal. Toss it in the pile with Night Gallery and Airwolf. :frowning:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think maybe the classic KOJAK didn't sell because the USA Network series bombed. Not coincidentally, they both came out at the same time....a year ago this month.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
So why would Kojak have done better in Region 2 than it did here? That is really disappointing because I was looking forward to Season 2 coming out here.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That's one possible reason. I think Universal also hurt themselves a bit in two ways:

(1) they released a ton of 60s and 70s shows in 2005. Only well heeled consumers could afford to buy them all. For example, McCloud, McMillan, and Columbo all got released on the same day. Many of these shows appeal to the same fan base, but chances are consumers had to pick out a couple to buy leaving others on the shelf

(2) many DVD enthusiasts will not buy Universal product due to all the reported problems with their discs. I've passed on many of their releases (ones I'd normally buy) simply because I don't have time to check out 30 episodes for errors right after purchase nor do I have confidence in their product that it will work 6 months from now.

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, as I've said many times I've purchased plenty of Universal TV collections (such as Alfred Hitckcock Presents, 3 sets of Columbo, Kojak, The Rockford Files) and I never had a technical problem with the discs themselves. So I will continue to buy my favorite series as they're released. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am very happy I resisted getting the R2 release all these years. This now means that "McCloud" is the only one of the "Universal 11" releases of classic TV shows not to get a second release in R1 all these years later.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

I am very happy I resisted getting the R2 release all these years. This now means that "McCloud" is the only one of the "Universal 11" releases of classic TV shows not to get a second release in R1 all these years later.

What about Baretta?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That title pre-dates the Universal 11 of 2004-2005 which is what I was thinking of. "Baretta" and "Battlestar Galactica" (along with a couple "Best Of" Incredible Hulk sets) were the only titles released by Universal under what I believe was older management pre-2004. Then 2004 was when they announced with fanfare a new commitment to putting out their classic library starting with "Night Gallery" and "Columbo" in Summer 2004, followed by the other titles that followed in 2005.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
It will be most interesting to compare the quality of the tape masters Shout! get with the crap masters Mediumrare got.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
All right, everybody listen up. The Powers That Be have finally decided to bestow upon our grateful community the second season of shows featuring that handsome, rakish, dapper crime fighter we all love so much. IT'S OUR JOB TO MAKE SURE IT'S DONE RIGHT!

Crocker! Make sure all the transfers are pristine, nice, shiny, pretty pictures like the ones on Season One, and not the raw sewage we saw on those cheap foreign knockoffs.

Saperstein! See that every episode is complete, uncut, unaltered, with proper subtitles.

Stavros! Let's get a few commentaries on this set. And see what you can do about getting that pilot episode on there too. Oh, and take Rizzo with you... he never does ANYTHING around here!

All right, that's it, now get to work. And let's get this thing done right. I want THREE CHERRIES, BABY!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Originally Posted by Berkshires

All right, everybody listen up. The Powers That Be have finally decided to bestow upon our grateful community the second season of shows featuring that handsome, rakish, dapper crime fighter we all love so much. IT'S OUR JOB TO MAKE SURE IT'S DONE RIGHT!

Crocker! Make sure all the transfers are pristine, nice, shiny, pretty pictures like the ones on Season One, and not the raw sewage we saw on those cheap foreign knockoffs.

Saperstein! See that every episode is complete, uncut, unaltered, with proper subtitles.

Stavros! Let's get a few commentaries on this set. And see what you can do about getting that pilot episode on there too. Oh, and take Rizzo with you... he never does ANYTHING around here!

All right, that's it, now get to work. And let's get this thing done right. I want THREE CHERRIES, BABY!

Wonderful post!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The pilot movie seems a natural, considering that Shout! did the same thing with the Dragnet pilot movie on S2 of that show (after Universal had neglected to do so on their S1 release).

cliff mac

Insider
You'll see the pilot at some point, but it's not on the second season set.

They are all new masters too.

Originally Posted by Jack P

The pilot movie seems a natural, considering that Shout! did the same thing with the Dragnet pilot movie on S2 of that show (after Universal had neglected to do so on their S1 release).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks