Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mac Screensaver question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 09:47 AM

so i finally got a mac, and, of course, i am loving it. anywho, i noticed the abstract "punch-drunk love" type screensaver, and i thought it would be a perfect menu on some personal dvds i am making for some friends.

would anyone happen to know how to make mac screensavers into movie files that could be used as a menu on iDVD?

i know it's a complicated question, but it would help me out a lot if someone out there could help me out.

thanks.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 07 2006 - 02:00 PM

Image files can be imported into both iDVD and iMovie. The screensaver images that come preinstalled in OS X are in the /Library/Desktop Pictures/ directory. When you import an image into iMovie, it actually creates a five second movie file of the still image that you can export to a QuickTime file.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted January 08 2006 - 04:21 PM

yeah, but would it be able to do the animation that it does for the screen saver? or would i have to customize the animation myself with the still images?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 08 2006 - 05:17 PM

Not sure what animation you're referring to. If you are talking about the gentle zooming in and out and moving about the screen that Apple refers to as the "Ken Burns Effect" the answer is yes, you can do it. When you are in iMovie select "iMovie HD Help" from the Help menu and type in "Ken Burns Effect"