Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dual HD LCD TV / PC Monitor?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark:J

Mark:J

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hello, I'm new here, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this here. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get a HD LCD television that will be doubling as a computer monitor. I definitely want a 16:9 aspect ratio. The size range I was considering was around 20 inches, but am open to other strong recommendations. Also needs a analog connector for the PC, but would be great to have one with a DVI for future computer upgrades. Of course a factor is the quality of using it as television in a small bedroom, but it's also very important that the PC display quality/resolution is good (not just for videos, for text/web-browsing as well) since it will be used as a primary computer display.

Are there any particular models/manufacturers that stand out in overall combined television/PC display quality?

At this point it seems there's not much of a selection, the only one that stands out to me is Sony KLV-S19A10. Again, haven't really seen much, but I just don't want to make the mistake of getting one of known poor quality displays.

I really appreciate any input you guys can provide, thanks in advance!

/ mark /

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 06 2006 - 02:27 PM

This 27-inch Westinghouse was my first HDTV and was bought for exactly the same application - replacing both a 17" monitor and a 13" TV in my home office. I bought it because of the incredible price I got it for at Best Buy. (Currently on sale again for $854.99) I've been happy with its performance at both tasks, but I'm now going to be using it with my laptop in the master bedroom, while its 32" inch big brother moves into the spare badroom/office. (I got a great deal on the set and had a 10% off coupon, and the bigger scren lets me more comfortably watch DVDs while getting in my 20 minutes on the treadmill from the other side of the room. Posted Image)

Posted Image

For price and performance I haven't seen the equal of these sets, and Westinghouse is (surprisingly) one of the top suppliers of LCD panels in the U.S. I'm sure there are better sets in this size range out there, and there may even be cheaper ones, but I doubt there are sets as good or better for the money.

The video processing uses Faroudja circuitry. The black levels are perfectly adequate to my eye, since neither room is ever really completely dark. The sets feature a couple of component inputs, DVI and 15-pin VGA connectors, but not HDMI. The bottom mounted spakers help the sets fit into spaces that side-speaker models of the same size couldn't fit in, but they are not removable. The base, of course, is. I think I'm going to wall ount the 32" in the office, but the 27" will go on a table in the master bedroom. (Things are still in flux as I'm still in the middle of painting and having the floors redone, so the 32" is still in the box, the 27" in the bedroom and all the gear from the home office piled up in the dining room. This way I can paint while the ugly old carpet is still on the floor acting as a drop cloth.)

I've also heard very good things about the Olevia LCDs from Syntax, but have not seen them myself. CompUSA has sold some of these for very good prices. Radio Shack has also advertised an Olevia 26" for a very low price, but I'm told this is a different model than what CompUSA carries, and not quite as good. (RS also doesn't carry the set in stock. You can order off the web or have your local store order it for you, apparently. I believe that you save the shipping charge if you have the store special-order it for you and you pick it up.)

Hope this helps.

Joe

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark:J

Mark:J

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 02:49 AM

Thanks Joeseph, did see a couple of Westinghouse sets but I didn't know the quality/reliablity of them, thanks for the insight. Just an update on this, I went to J&R to take a look at the Sony S19A10 and word of warning to anyone looking at this TV, it's is NOT 16:9 like advertised on the major retailer sites -- it's actually 15:9. I noticed right away looking at another HD TV right next to it on the display, all HD sources will get cropped on the left and right of this television. I had the salesman get the remote to see if we could force a 16:9, and they only had 'zoom' type options, not the 'un-zoom' we would need to get a 16:9 signal on a 15:9 screen. The search continues...

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark R O

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 08:14 PM

Mark, I wanted a dual role monitor as well and after considerable research and tire kicking bought a 27 inch Olevia. One of majors had for $499 a current model (careful here, lot of places advertise older or lesser units). After setting it up and spinning a few DVDs, checking out my photos/videos and other computer programs, my wife and I spent the rest of the evening watching DTV and OTA HD programming using the TV's built in tuner. Early the next morning, I found myself back at the store buying the 32 inch that was on sale ($599) for the bedroom! The performance is IMHO on par with the top models from the big names and will embarass most anything you set next to them. The very few displays that I felt were comparable cost close to double the money. Both the monitor and the bedroom set are connected via HDMI. HD content and DVD's are outstanding, standard definition is ok. The computer looks great and I'm looking forward to my copy of Vista later this month. Haven't found a single thing with either tv to bitch about (well, maybe the remotes) and feel they are an exceptional value.
The aim of life is to live and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users