Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paradigm Studio 100s vs. Paradigm Monitor 11s?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Slade

Slade

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 06:21 PM

I think these would be comparable models in their respective lines. I listened to the Studios and really liked them. Are they worth the premium over the Monitor 11s? (I haven't heard the Monitors.)

The Studios were $2200/pair. (Anyone know how much the Monitors 11s are?)

Thanks.

#2 of 14 AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 07:08 PM

The monitor 11s were right around 1k when I bought mine a few years ago....not sure what they are now. As for whether the studios are worth the extra money, beign that those are what I upgraded to I'd say definitely yes. How big is your room?
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#3 of 14 Slade

Slade

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 01:46 AM

My room is about 25x25, with a vaulted ceiling that is about 12 feet at it's peak. It also opens into a small dining room.

Thanks.

#4 of 14 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 02:03 AM

HI,

I own a set of Studio 100 V2 and have a similar room. The speakers sound awesome in thsi environmnet.

Not sure about the comparison so won't comment.

I would personally suggest going with the studio line as they are excellent speakers. I am not sure if the v3 was an improvement over v2 but I understand the 3's are lighter so maybe they don't have as much bass...

Anyway, if price is an issue, buy a set used from e-bay or audiogon. I would think people that have bought these spekers will not have abused them terribly : ) and that you can get a set for a good price.

Regards,

Dave

#5 of 14 Slade

Slade

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 02:13 AM

The 100s had good bass when I listened to them. I'm planning to get them first and add a sub in a few months. That's why the bass performance of the 100s were appealing to me, instead of the 40s.

Of course, I guess I could go with the 40s and a sub right off the bat. I'll probably go back and listen to several setups.

#6 of 14 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 04:29 AM

The Studio 100's are a significant step up compared to the Monitor 11's. There really isn't much of a comparision to be made, IMO.
Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#7 of 14 BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 04:48 AM

As far as filling the room with sound and bass, either will be fine. The difference is in the quality of the sound. Anything in the Studio line sounds much better.
The only way to safely double your money is to fold it over once and place it back in your pocket.

http://www.cube17576.com

#8 of 14 AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 08:21 AM

Yep, that is a nice sized room.....if you can swing 'em, go for the 100s. Very well-built, look great, sound great, wonderful value.....hard to go wrong Posted Image

Updated Equipment List

#9 of 14 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,906 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 09:18 AM

If you can afford the 100s, I definitely think you should go for it.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#10 of 14 mackie

mackie

Supporting Actor

• 568 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
The 100s had good bass when I listened to them. I'm planning to get them first and add a sub in a few months. That's why the bass performance of the 100s were appealing to me, instead of the 40s.

If music is your primary concern, the 100s will be great, but if you want to get the best performance with the special effects of movies you need a sub. The 100s have good bass, but they will not touch the bass performance of a good sub.

If $2200 is your budget, I'd personally go with studio 20s or 40s and get a Hsu or SVS sub. If you haven't watched an action movie with one of these subs, you don't know what you're missing, and these will blend beautifully with the 20s or 40s. Just my .02.

#11 of 14 Slade

Slade

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the good comments.

By the way, I guess I didn't state my whole plan. I want the 100s for the fronts. I'm still planning to get a sub (or subs) in several months, it would just be stretching the budget for now.

I'm tentatively thinking about this:

(2) Studio 100s for fronts
(2) Studio CC-570 for center
(2) ADP-470s for rears
(1) Marantz 8500 for the receiver

In several months, I would like to add:
(1) Servo-15 sub or (2) Seismic-12s
(2) ADP-470s for sides, or move the existing 470s to the sides and put Studio 40s in the rear
(1) 2-channel stereo amp, with at least 200 watts/channel

I would use the external amp to power the 100s and use the Marantz to power the rest of the speakers (sub has it's own amp).

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for re-thinking this?

Thanks again!

#12 of 14 AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 03:42 PM

Adding a nice 2-channel amp to the mains will really make a difference when you get around to it. The Marantz will be just fine, though.....a nice match for the 'digms. If you are really into HT, I'd probably take your sub budget and throw it at SVS instead of the Paradigm subs, though.....I know the higher end Paradigm subs are better than their entry level ones, but I can personally attest to the fact that SVS subs go VERY well with the 100s. I used to have an SVS PB12-ISD/2 with my 100s and that kicked so much you know what that it wasn't even funny.

That'll be a helluva nice system when you're done, bro !

Updated Equipment List

#13 of 14 ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 05:35 PM

I just got done doing a room for a guy that was 20x25. We put in 100's, a 570, and adp470's on the back wall. The room has no treatment yet, and we were getting no bass (without the sub). A Pio Elite 74tx is running a Rotel 1095. We hung some blankets up all around the walls and Walla! Bass.
Make sure your room is treated. The ADP's sound great along the back wall but need to be able to reflect their sound off of the surrounding walls.
We also used the Servo15(v2) and can tell you it is plenty for that size room. Feeling the floor shaking while walking around was pretty cool. Check out Ed Mullens review of that sub over at "Secrets". You should definetely think about adding an amp. Outlaw Audio has some great offerings that are well priced.

Where are you located Slade?

#14 of 14 Slade

Slade

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 07:09 PM

I'm putting all this in our living room. I don't know how I could treat the room. I can't put any kind of covering on the walls. Is there anything else that can be done to a room? It has carpeting.

Is it better to have one big sub or two smaller subs? (I suppose two large subs, such as the Servo-15, would be even better?) Is it common to have two subs?

I'm in GA, by the way.

Thanks.