What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller...Bueller...Edition (1 Viewer)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: Bueller…Bueller… Edition

Studio: Paramount Home Video
Year: 2006 (1986 Release)
Rated: PG-13
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 enhanced for 16x9 displays
Audio: English DD 5.1/ 2.0 Surround; French 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: English; Spanish
Time: 102 minutes
Disc Format: DVD-9
Case Style: Keep case

Everyone needs a day off, and in some cases, you must go to excessive lengths to achieve this goal. In Ferris Bueller’s case, and ours too, that means you must sometimes lie to The Man. I know I am not the only one who pulled a fake sick while growing up (quite a few times, actually) because there was just something better to do, even if it was nothing. It was just better than being at school, or now, at work. I also enjoyed several ditch days during school knowing the rest of those poor suckers were sitting in Mr. Zoble’s fourth period algebra class.

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”, or as this new edition by Paramount is called, the “Bueller…Bueller…Edition”, director John Hughes has Ferris Bueller (played by Matthew Broderick) guide us on his day of relaxation and play. Accompanying Ferris is his girlfriend, Sloane (the yummy Mia Sara, she of white boots and arching eyebrow) and his best friend Cameron (Alan Ruck). Ferris decides to pull a fake illness and he convinces his parents he is too sick to go to school. They agree and proceed to work. Ferris begins his day by explaining to us (by breaking the “4th wall”) the need for leisure and how he shall achieve it. He introduces us to his partners in crime and the adventure begins.

The trio is being chased by their principal, Ed Rooney, who has been outwitted by Ferris on eight previous occasions. Rooney goes to great lengths to catch the absent teen, and he has roadblocks put in his way at every turn, specifically by the Bueller household and its dog (I wonder if this was the spark of an idea for Hughes to write “Home Alone”). There are also numerous close calls to add to the tension, each of which Ferris takes in stride. Ferris and his friends take in all Chicago has to offer: a Cubs game, the Sears Tower and a parade down Michigan Avenue. “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is one of the best movies to highlight Chicago. As the story continues, Cameron must come to terms with his relationship with his father and Ferris must get home before his parents and antagonistic sister (Jennifer Grey).

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” has the fortune of having an exceptional cast. Each actor was perfectly chosen for their roles, and I can’t imagine Anthony Michael Hall or Emilo Estevez in Ferris’s sweater vest. Ruck and Jones turn in career defining roles, and it has always been my opinion they are the best parts of this movie. Ben Stein’s role, while providing a new American catch phrase, has always been blown out of proportion for what it actually is in this picture. Regardless, it contributes a vital part to the magic and durability of the picture over the past nineteen years.

Video:
The anamorphically enhanced 2.35: 1 disc exhibits a very pleasing color pallet with rich and accurate flesh tones and settings. I even noticed some stage make up on the close ups of the actors. Blacks are deep enough, but there is noticeable loss of detail in the shadows. Edge enhancement was barely noticeable. Detail was overall very good, but there are a few scenes where the picture looks a little murky in the background.
EDIT: I was able to obtain the original release and compare the two pictures. The original release has noticeable film dirt that is not present in this new release. The new version is also darker than the original, and the issues I noted about the loss of details in the blacks was decreased in the original release. Fine detail shows a minor improvement in the new release. In terms of picture quality, I found myself preferring the original release since I did not feel the need to mess with brightness levels of my display.

Audio:
This release features a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack that puts most of the soundtrack in the fronts. Voices are clear and accurate. Once the music soundtrack kicks in, the soundstage really opens up the fronts and uses the back for ambient effects. LFE effects were present, but minimal. I noticed a few ADR lines, but that is to be expected.
EDIT: This appears to be the same DD 5.1 track as the original release.

Bonus Features:
The bonus features are improved for this re-release. Missing is a director’s commentary that was on the original release, so there is still some reason to hold on to your original disc. I also wondered where the theatrical trailer was since this is perhaps the most common “extra” on DVD’s.

Getting the Class Together – The Cast of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (27:44): Cast and crew members talk about the origins of the picture, it’s production and its impact. However, the only Hughes and Mia Sara interviews are from 1986.

The Making of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (15:27): Fascinating information about the Ferrari and its various stunts, plus the parade scene and various others.

Who is Ferris Bueller? (9:11): Hughes and various cast members explains the character of Ferris, specifically and in general, in interviews from the 80’s and now.

The World According to Ben Stein (10:44): In an effort to further enforce the “Bueller…Bueller” line and the name of this edition, we are given a more in depth interview with Stein about the picture and his career. Stein also provides some very insightful comments about Ferris and the picture. Who knew Stein co-wrote Nixon’s resignation speech?

Vintage Ferris Bueller: The Lost Tapes (10:12):From the set, Broderick, Ruck, Jones and Sara interview each other, goof off, and talk about their characters. Also included is a behind the scenes version of a deleted scene (find out where the pancreas line came from).

Class Album Publicity photos.

Conclusions:
“You’re still here? It’s over. Go home. Go.”

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that they dropped the John Hughes commentary-I remember it being quite good. Basically, it sounds like a couple of new extras, and the first nominee for the Stupidest DVD Subtitle of 2006.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Thanks for the review Pat. For those of us who own the original DVD release, is there any reason to get this new version?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Lame that they dropped the director's commentary. Stupid, even. And I find the new practice of themed edition names absolutely abhorrent.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have mixed feelings for waiting these past few years for an SE and now find it's missing the first edition's commentary. I really enjoyed this movie but not enough to buy 2 different releases, so it's the new edition with improved picture for me.

I'll second that... an icky name for an equally icky movie.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It seems VERY common nowadays that when a new SE is released, SOMETHING is almost always left off. No trailer on the "Titanic" SE, (heck, no 4th disc here in R1 even!) "The Warriors" with ONLY the option of watching the new comic book framed version,
and commentaries not carried over etc...
Makes me wonder if it isn't deliberate. You keep the old copy and don't sell it used so there are less old copies floating around in the used bins and people who never owned it will now SEE the new version in stores and might pick it up instead of just picking up an older copy real cheap.

Just a thought.....

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Love this movie.

Extras sound okay. Will want to get this, but no big immediate rush...

The not-carried-over commentary by Hughes on the old disc was really enjoyable, though- I won't get rid of it.

Nice job with the reviews, PatWahlquist. And your home theatre set-up(s) look good. 'Hi' to Brooke...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, though I won't double dip on this unless it turns out to have improved picture quality.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I already have the first release and it's served me well. Great picture and the Hughes commentary.

The next time I'll buy Ferris Bueller's Day Off it will be in HD.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I can only suspect that the trailer was again left off because it liberally uses The Beatles' cover of "Twist and Shout" and the video division didn't want to pay for it.

I'm wondering if Hughes and Paramount had a falling out recently over DVD reissues of the movies they own of his...it certainly seems plausible, what with no new interview footage and even his old commentary being dropped. Wasn't a similarly expanded edition of PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES talked of and then cancelled?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
How do you know this has improved PQ? Pat wasn't able to compare with the older version. Is there a comparison elsewhere??

BTW, nice job on the reviews, Pat. Congrats on the new "gig". :) My best to you & Brooke.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Dave, I've actually had similar thoughts as well about taking used DVDs out of the cheap secondary market. I believe I actually made a post about it in another thread. The only flaw is that often you can pick up bargain bin titles, like the old version of Ferris at a B&M for a very similar price, or even cheaper than at a store that sells DVDs used.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

From DVDTalk

"The 2.35.1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfer on this release is nice and sharp. Color reproduction is strong, the reds look very good without any bleeding problems, and the black levels are rich and deep and don't pixelate or break up at all. There aren't any issues in terms of serious print damage to report, simply some fine grain evident in a few scenes, and a lot of the muddiness and the mpeg compression artifacts that were present on the first DVD release have been eliminated."

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this version as I finally had to break down and pick up the non-anamorphic version. Off to eBay it is!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Based on the bonus features, I normally wouldn't double-dip on something like this, but my sister's been dying to have a copy of Ferris Bueller so I can give her my old copy (I've played the commentary once and don't intend to again).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks