What's new

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Tagline: Evil Must Be Confronted.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery

Director: David Yates

Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Tom Felton, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Maggie Smith, Helena Bonham Carter, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Oldman, Jason Isaacs, Imelda Staunton, Matthew Lewis, Bonnie Wright, James Phelps, Oliver Phelps, Evanna Lynch, Richard Griffiths, Fiona Shaw, Robert Hardy, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters, David Thewlis, Natalia Tena, Harry Melling, David Bradley, Mark Williams, Katie Leung, Chris Rankin, Devon Murray, Alfred Enoch, Warwick Davis, Jamie Waylett, Josh Herdman, Shefali Chowdhury, Afshan Azad, Geraldine Somerville, Adrian Rawlins, Kathryn Hunter, George Harris, Peter Cartwright, Brigitte Millar, Sian Thomas, Apple Brook, William Melling, Jim McManus, Nick Shirm, Ryan Nelson, Sam Beazley, John Atterbury, Richard Leaf, Timothy Spall, Lauren Shotton, Nicholas Blane, Jason Boyd, Richard Macklin, Christopher Rithin, Tony Maudsley, Timothy Bateson, Jessica Hynes, Michael Wildman, Jason Piper, Arben Bajraktaraj, Peter Best, Richard Trinder, Richard Cubison, Tav MacDougall, Alec Hopkins, Robbie Jarvis, James Walters, Charles Hughes, James Utechin, James Payton, Lisa Wood, Cliff Lanning, Miles Jupp, Jamie Wolpert, Daisy Haggard, Nathan Clarke, David Heyman

Release: 2007-06-28

Runtime: 138

Plot: The rebellion begins! Lord Voldemort has returned, but the Ministry of Magic is doing everything it can to keep the wizarding world from knowing the truth – including appointing Ministry official Dolores Umbridge as the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts. When Umbridge refuses to teach practical defensive magic, Ron and Hermione convince Harry to secretly train a select group of students for the wizarding war that lies ahead. A terrifying showdown between good and evil awaits in this enthralling film version of the fifth novel in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Prepare for battle!

I know the movie begins production later this month or February. Just wondering if their is any idea of a release date?

On a side note. Daniel Radcliff has said he wants to do all of the HP movies.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Glad we got this thread going. I haven't read the book, though I intend to.

What is the anticipated release date?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
June 2007. It's my favorite Harry Potter book, and I have no doubts it'll be good. The director, David Yates, is new to features but is well-respected for quality British TV dramas. The writer, Michael Goldenberg, wrote the screenplay for Contact, and is working on some wonderful things, such as Where the Wild Things Are. Plus he wrote Peter Pan, a far too underrated and overlooked film.

The only casting news for far (other than the usual cast, the Trio and teachers), is Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge. We have to be careful with spoilers. I don't want to ruin anything for Chris. Other cast members should be announced within the next couple of weeks.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Steven Kloves isnt doing the screenplay for OOTF??

I didnt know that, anyone know why?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Schedule conflict I believe. He said he wants to come back for Half-Blood Prince though. He said he loved the book.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
It'll be a big year for Potter fans. The last book should be out right around that time as well I think.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Kloves wanted some time off with his family, but his kids didn't think much about him not doing it so now he's adapting Half Blood Prince. The upside is that the script should be ready a few months after principle on OOTP wraps so they can plow straight into shooting HBP and have principle wrapped on it before OOTP is released in June 2007. That could mean a November 2007 or 2008 release for OOTP.

In other news I believe JK Rowling said she'd begin writing book seven this month as well. :) So hopefully the book will be out summer 2007 also.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He was directing a different project for David Heyman. The plus side, as the previous Adam has mentioned, is that now they have two screenwriters working simultaneously which will hopefully keep things moving smoother so the kids aren't 30 by Movie 7.
Of all of the books so far, #5 probably has the most landmines as it doesn't have a central plot backbone like Goblet of Fire does. There's no real mystery to solve, and most of it is just a meandering character piece. All of those qualities make it probably my favorite of the books, but as it's the most literary it's also the least cinematic.
Still, I've heard nothing but good things about Goldenberg's Peter Pan screenplay, so I'm confident he'll be up to the task. The Goblet movie is a hell of a tough act to follow, however.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I loved those qualities too (and the book as a whole) but it's certainly one of the most polarizing of the books among readers. I suspect that might have also played into Kloves' decision not to adapt it.

Very heartened to hear Michael Goldenberg's involvement. I, too, though Peter Pan was rather unappreciated.

I'm a bit more nervous about Yates since I'm not familiar with his work but I was also initially hesitant about Newell and I thought he did an even better job than Cuaron so I'm ready to trust their instincts here.

I said it in the Box Office thread, but after the stellar GoF returns, I won't be surprised in the slightest to see this moved to November 2007.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that Cuaron returns to direct either film #6 or 7. Azkaban is my favorite of the series and I really appreciated the style he brought to the series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Cuarón could be good for Six since I think his relentless pacing actually suits that material. I thought he dropped the ball in a few key ways on POA, though. Like Kevin, I think Newell did an even better job than Cuarón.
I think more than anything, I'd hope they keep trying new people as the series goes along to keep it fresh. Heyman has been very good about "casting" directors that are bold and creative enough to have recognizable cinematic fingerprints but which respect the work enough not to domineer it. As long as that trend continues, I think Harry will be in good shape.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
At least the following two things are key to a successful adaptation: 1- Casting/performance of Dolores Umbridge, and 2- A director/cinematopher team that will succeed in conveying the oppressive and paranoid atmosphere of the book.

--
H

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
So, like, what are the rules for the thread? I'm tired of trying to post in Potter threads and have people who aren't reading the books start screaming. Is this a thread that assumes we haven't read past Book5, or that assumes we haven't even read Book5, or what?

PS: start reading

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Holadem,
Well they got #1 right. Imelda Staunton will get it. I've yet to be worried about casting in the HP films. They always seem to get it right.

Book 5 was my least favorite. A lot of that had to do with the ending of Book 4. I thought it changed everything, and yet when I got back, just like a sitcom, I was stuck with a similar plot, similar subplots, and a rather poor villain for most of the book. For me, it felt like she was treading water, waiting to get to book 6. A reread would probably cure a lot of that for me. That said, she nailed the angry teenage boy angle...not easy to write at all, and she did it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
was pretty cool, but the relevation at the end was kinda like, "That's it?" I do agree with you that it seems to be pure setup mostly for book 6, which has the impact expected.

Jason

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I just hope they remember that Fred and George [my favorite secondary characters] really get to strut their stuff in this one, as far as causing trouble.

The fireworks scene, after Dumbledore leaves temporarily, is one of my all time favorites of the antics of the Weasley twins.

As for the angst angle that some people are talking about, well, who here DID NOT go through that as a teenager? I think that is what appeals to Daniel Radcliffe for the role, the chance to challenge himself as a performer and maybe take the chance that he will NOT be likable.

If Harry were always the goody two shoes, who never got angry, had girl troubles or anything else, he would not be the character that many Potter fans like so well. I personally like the character BECAUSE he is flawed, and taking his lumps as he is learning.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

A mod can clarify but since this a Harry Potter discussion about an unreleased film then I believe the standard rules apply- anything releated OotP or later books must be specifically spoiler marked.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, HPATOOTP is by far the weakest book in the series so far. I think it could be trimmed by about a third without any real loss. Hopefully a stern pruning job such as was done with Goblet will be done with Phoenix.

Um, Adam, that's what the books are like - they get bleaker as the series progresses.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Emotionally. But that doesn't mean the world has to LOOK monotonously grey and dreary for the remainder of the films. Surely, even in Scotland the sun shines occassionally.
In fact using a bright and sunny look as an ironic contrast to the world of danger would be a much more interesting choice; almost a visual metaphor for Fudge's smiles and self-delusion as evil slowly gains strength.

(I won't go into more detail about OOTP until an admin clarifies the rules for this thread. I would suggest, however, that it is quite difficult to discuss the particulars without atleast dipping into the plot of the book the movie is based upon.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks