Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need some advice regarding clothes dryer!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick G

Patrick G

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 01:51 AM

I have a problem. Just bought a brand new house. However, 1 problem…

The utility room is right off of the garage, so there’s a door from the utility room directly to the garage. The room is similar to THIS where the door opens up into the room. The problem is, the area is not very deep, and when we put the dryer in place (a fairly new dryer), it protrudes past the door jam and prevents the door to the garage from being opened/closed. The dryer vent is against the wall, in the floor, directly behind the dryer. We just can’t get it close enough to the back wall to keep it from coming out past the door trim. What can be done about this? We just moved in 3 days ago, and we’ve got a 1-year warranty from the builder, but what would they be able to do? Reposition the door so it opens into the garage instead??? It would probably fit if they put the dryer vent in the wall, directly behind, but the heating/air unit is sitting outside, directly on the other side of that wall. And I’m assuming it’s bad to have a dryer vent exiting near an A/C unit. Any suggestions?
Patrick D. Gamet
Home Theater Nut & OAR Activist
patrick@gametnet.com

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Reposition the door so it opens into the garage instead???
I am not (by far) up on building codes, but can a door open into a garage? I don't think I've ever seen one that does. I would definitely check to see if doing so would violate a building code. Obviously the builder would know the answer to this.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted January 05 2006 - 02:15 AM

If all else fails, you could install a different type of door, perhaps a sliding door. If you do change the door to open into the garage (if allowed by code) then you may have a problem with access if your garage is not wide with a car in there and you will risk dinging your car!

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick G

Patrick G

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 02:20 AM

It's a deep garage. In fact, as soon as you step out into the garage, I've got a refrigerator sitting immediately to the left on the same wall as the door.
Patrick D. Gamet
patrick@gametnet.com

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 02:50 AM

dammit, I hate when they do that.
my (now) rental townhouse has a very shallow closet next to the kitchen for the W&D, so shallow that the units can't be more than 26.5" deep or the doors won't close, and every freaking W&D is extra huge capacity giant sized these days Posted Image

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 07:21 AM

A more expensive option, but one that might get round doing structural alterations would be to change driers. There are some models that don't need venting (we have one). Sorry, I can't remember the name of the type, but ours seems to work fine.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
There are some models that don't need venting (we have one).

Yeah, but those are those little Euro models. Sorry, we have real dryers in the US. Big honkin' ones that can dry 15 horseblankets at a time. They have outside vents so big; the whole neighborhood smells like Bounce. You know, rib eatin, hard riding, SUV driving, damn the ecology, knit a sweater from the lint trap every 3 loads Dryers.

Not to mention our washers. Mine gives off a suds pool bigger than the stuff that used to wash up from the Procter and Gamble plant at low tide. A tub the size of an oil drum, detergent dispenser like a 5 gallon bucket. We're talkin' Bobby Brady suds.

Too bad we can't fit em in our houses.:b

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 09:08 AM

Spoken like someone who only has to do his own laundry, and not that of the next generation as well.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 09:20 AM

Actually, Jeff is speaking like someone who lives in New England where winters clothing can be a bitch to do if it goes too long. I prefer summer laundry because shorts and t-shirts don't add up to as much. Posted Image

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
Spoken like someone who only has to do his own laundry, and not that of the next generation as well.

You thought I was being facetious? I was serious. I've seen those european "washers and dryers". I couldn't do my dish towels in those.

Quote:
Actually, Jeff is speaking like someone who lives in New England where winters clothing can be a bitch to do if it goes too long. I prefer summer laundry because shorts and t-shirts don't add up to as much.

Yup, I don't have to do it for the next generation, but the "layering" really adds up. Damn sweaters, damn Woolite, damn "lie flat to dry"...Damn, Damn, Damn!Posted Image

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 11:10 AM

You can open the door into the garage instead. You or the builder can do this. Pretty easy to change how the door opens. You can basically have it four different ways.

The builder might not budge as you had access to the blue prints and/or the house before you closed.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Patrick G

Patrick G

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 11:16 AM

Well, the owner of the building company called me today and told me we could do 1 of 2 things.

1. Keep the vent in the floor, but move it back into the wall, gaining about 1.5 - 2 inches.

2. Reposition the vent from the floor to the wall, and then move the a/c unit on the outside of the house about 10 feet, which would obviously require rewiring, etc.

I went with option 1, basically to be less of a pain in the a$$. I figure if they can get the dryer pushed back so it's not coming out past the door trim, I'd be happy.
Patrick D. Gamet
patrick@gametnet.com

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
I've seen those european "washers and dryers". I couldn't do my dish towels in those.

Jeff, I think you'll find that if you do your washing more than once every three months, the problem of not having enough room disappears. Posted Image

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
Jeff, I think you'll find that if you do your washing more than once every three months, the problem of not having enough room disappears.

Three times a week, 2 loads each time (plus my dish towelsPosted Image ).

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image @ Jeff

Man, I know all about adding layers of winter clothing but don't have this problem even with our minuscule (!) European machinery. Do you only wear those clothes for two hours between washes?

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
We're talkin' Bobby Brady suds.

Posted Image

#17 of 18 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted January 06 2006 - 10:25 AM

you only do the wash when you no longer have any clothes left to wearPosted Image

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 01:54 PM

Quote:
Do you only wear those clothes for two hours between washes?

I wash dress pants (5 pairs a week), shirts (7-8 a week + layered ones) and sweaters separately, colors and whites separately and jeans (3-4 pairs) by themselves. I also wash towels and linens by themselves, once a week. Count em' up.

Bryan X, I was wondering when someone would get that reference.Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow