Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Police Woman The Complete First Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,614 posts

Posted January 04 2006 - 10:09 AM

GO UNDERCOVER WITH ANGIE DICKINSON

POLICE WOMAN:
THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Available March 7 in a Five-Disc Set with Special Features Including Commentaries with Angie Dickinson

Culver City, CA (January 2, 2006) – Go undercover with Angie Dickinson when Police Woman: The Complete First Season debuts on DVD March 7. Featuring all 23 episodes, the five-disc set includes the 2-hour pilot episode and commentaries on select episodes with Angie Dickinson. The DVD will be available for $49.95 SLP from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Police Woman was a pioneering television series that dared to explore topics not often dealt with up to that point. Sergeant Suzanne “Pepper” Anderson (Dickinson) is an undercover agent for the Criminal Conspiracy Unit of the Los Angeles Police Department who goes where few of her colleagues on the force dare to go. With the support of Lieutenant Bill Crowley (Earl Holliman) and her team consisting of Detective Joe Styles (Ed Bernard) and Detective Pete Royster (Charles Dierkop), Pepper poses as everything from a prostitute to a gangster’s girlfriend, and though her challenging assignments require her to be tough and brassy to survive, Pepper’s sincerity and compassion always shine through.

An instant hit, Police Woman was a spin-off of the popular series Police Story (1973-1977) and inspired a string of strong female-oriented crime series, including Charlie’s Angels and Cagney & Lacey. It also made Angie Dickinson an international star and television icon. While well known for her role as “Feathers” opposite John Wayne in Howard Hawk’s Rio Bravo (1959) and as Frank Sinatra’s wife in the original Ocean’s 11 (1960), Dickinson really made her mark once she turned to series television. Dickinson received a Golden Globe for “Best TV Actress – Drama” in 1975, plus she received three more Golden Globe nominations and three Emmy nominations. Dickinson placed third in TV Guide’s 2002 survey of the “50 Sexiest TV Stars of All Time.”

Guest stars the first season include Larry Hagman (TV’s “Dallas”); Philip Michael Thomas (TV’s “Miami Vice”); gymnast Cathy Rigby; Rhonda Fleming (Out of the Past, 1947); Bob Crane (TV’s “Hogan’s Heroes”); Della Reese (TV’s “Touched by an Angel”); singer Smokey Robinson; William Shatner (TV’s “Star Trek”); Rory Calhoun (How to Marry a Millionaire); Robert Vaughn (TV’s “The Man From Uncle”); and Pat Morita (The Karate Kid).

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:

· Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
· Full Screen Presentations
· Audio: English
· Audio Commentary on Select Episodes with Angie Dickinson
· Bonus Previews
· Closed Captions

Police Woman: The Complete First Season episodes include:

The Gamble (2-Hour Pilot)
The End Game
The Beautiful Die Young
Warning to All Wives
Seven Eleven
Anatomy of Two Rapes
It's Only a Game
Fish
Flowers of Evil
The Stalking of Joey Marr
Requiem for a Bored Wife
Smack
Cradle Robbers
Shoefly Days
Target Black
Sidewinder
Blast
No Place to Hide
Nothing Left to Lose
The Company
Ice
Bloody Nose
The Loner

Police Woman: The Complete First Season has a run time of approximately 1021 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 13514
UPC Code: 0-43396-13514-7
Order Date: 2/2/06
SLP: $49.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett*H

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted January 04 2006 - 11:24 PM

I will definitely be picking this set up!

It will be great to hear Angie Dickinson's commentaries.

I can remember really getting into this show when it was originally broadcast 'cause my dad (who was a policeman) loved it.

Looks like a super release!

#3 of 14 ONLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 12:43 AM

I haven't seen this discussed here at all. Anyone else picked this up, yet? I think Sony did an excellent job with this release. The packaging is really nice. Lots of great publicity stills of Angie Dickinson on the outside AND inside of each and every one of the 3 dvd cases. The menu design is great, too, as it starts off in moving motion. But, best of all, there are SEVEN(!) commentaries from Angie and Earl Holliman. And its really been enjoyable to listen to them reminisce and sometimes go off on tangents and disagree over trivial facts. For example, there was one funny moment when they were arguing over whether actor Mark Harmon ever played quarterback for USC, UCLA or CSI-- or was it his dad? I hope it sells well so Sony will release more sets.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   TimT

TimT

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 03:29 AM

I hope it sells well too, but I have serious concerns there. I went to my local Walmart and my local Target to price it on the week of release. To my dismay, neither store had even one copy. Granted, I'm in a small market (Owensboro, KY population 55,000), but we usually get a few copies on week of release. I hope this was an isolated incident and not some Walmart and Target strategy that includes a lack of support on their part for anything but the biggest releases. Anybody know anything about a recent shift in support from Walmart and Target towards less big name releases?

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Anybody know anything about a recent shift in support from Walmart and Target towards less big name releases?

That's exactly what is happening. They are only stocking titles they feel will sell consistently -- which means at least a for a few weeks -- and hopefully longer. How they determine what will sell -- who knows.

If these stores were only going to sell a few copies (per store), it wouldn't be worth it to handle the title. They set up their DVD departments differently than, say, Best Buy, for example. Target, for example, doesn't price each item -- they have a dedicated shelf space with a printed title sign with the price. It wouldn't be worth it to (take a title like PW:S1) create an inventory SKU, re-arrange the display, and print signage for an item they expect to sell just a few copies of. Then when it's sold out, they need to re-arrange the display to cover the "empty" space.

My local Targets didn't even stock Columbo beyond the first season -- so I didn't expect them to stock PW.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
I can remember really getting into this show when it was originally broadcast 'cause my dad (who was a policeman) loved it.

I think it's fair to say that due to Ms. Dickinson's legs, many of our dads who were not policemen were also into this show.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 04:44 AM

I finished watching the entire set last night. What a fun show! I only saw a few episodes when it originally aired. In the 70's my family watched mostly ABC and since this show was on NBC I rarely caught it.

Anyway, does anyone know if all of the episodes are uncut? I didn't notice any spots where there were bad cuts. I can usually spot where things have been cut. I will say however, that there is a deleted scene from one episode in the opening credits. It's the scene where Pepper is in the pink dress with the brunette shag wig. In the opening credits, Pepper is standing up after her talk with Antonio Fargas however, in the actual episode that bit of the scene wasn't shown. After getting the information she needed from Fargas, Pepper turns to her left and the scene cuts to something else.

Also, in the opening previews for the episode Sidewinder, there is a scene of Pepper in the brunette shag wig talking to a man in a bar and he says to her, "I know a motel that plays X-rated movies all day and all night (or somethingn like that)." and Pepper replies, "Whatever turns you on." However, in the actual scene from the episode, the X-rated movies line is totally cut. The man makes a toast or says cheers and Pepper then says, "What ever turns you on." Which makes no sense at all. So, I'm wondering if the X-rated line was cut before broadcast? It just seems odd that the line appears in the opening previews but not in the actual episode. Does anyone have any clues to this?

Other than that, the show looks great. I had a really good time watching this show. The sound is a little on the low side but I've come to expect that from 70's TV shows. I really recomend this set. Pepper Anderson was really something to see. Love her very 70's apartment and her very, very 70's wardrobe. For me, this is what makes watchign 70's shows fun. The clothes, the hair, the home interiors and the cheesy dialogue (Freeze Turkey!). Hours of fun on Police Woman and the show was really good for its time.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 05:14 AM

I found it at Fry's in the western movie section! Indeed, even the price sticker on the front had it listed a western. Posted Image

#9 of 14 ONLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted March 18 2006 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
I finished watching the entire set last night. What a fun show! I only saw a few episodes when it originally aired. In the 70's my family watched mostly ABC and since this show was on NBC I rarely caught it.

I don't remember watching this show at all when it first aired. I did a little researching on this show and I found out why: it originally aired at 10pm during its 4 year run. I was only 8 years old during its first year, so I always had to go to bed early because it was a school night. I don't remember watching this in syndication, either. It was hardly the type of show they would air during the afterschool hours because , watching it now, its really violent--lots of shootouts, and rapes. Angie Dickinson is sooo hot in this. She's got a killer body. On her commentary, she said she saw Chris Rock on the Jay Leno show, and he told a joke about how his dad used to watch PW because "Angie Dickinson doesn't wear panties."

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 07:22 PM

Quote:
Anybody know anything about a recent shift in support from Walmart and Target towards less big name releases?

Quote:
That's exactly what is happening. They are only stocking titles they feel will sell consistently -- which means at least a for a few weeks -- and hopefully longer. How they determine what will sell -- who knows.

Odd thing, everytime I walk into WalMart, they have Seasons 1&2 of Knight Rider. Nearly 2 months after Season 3 is released, still no Season 3 in any of their stores here. Same with The Adventures of Superman, I see Season 1 at every store, no Season 2. And now this week, I see Season 3 of Bewitched and Season 5 of 21 Jump Street, yet no Season 1 of I Dream Of Jeannie. Thank God for Amazon.com!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 23 2009 - 08:42 AM

I really wish they'd release the remaining three seasons of POLICE WOMAN. I may have to re-watch season 1 again... but it may make me mad knowing the best one could do for the remaining seasons are bootlegs.

I am sure SONY will release some more TV shows soon that they will not finish.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 09:03 AM

I would like more seasons of this too

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted November 13 2011 - 01:15 AM

www.tvshowsondvd.com posted the cover for Season 2. I think that Shout Factory did a superb job as far as the front the cover is concerned. To me it looks great.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 08 2012 - 01:33 AM

Got my copy of Season 2 of Police Woman and it is so far a great set! Worth the wait of has it been 6 years?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow