Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

XM Satellite to debut two portable players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image
XM Satellite to debut two portable players

NEW YORK (Reuters) - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (Nasdaq:XMSR - news) said it plans to debut on Wednesday a pair of portable, hand held radio receivers that will also store your own digital songs.
ADVERTISEMENT
[0]

The two devices, called the Helix and the Inno, and manufactured by Samsung Electronics (005930.KS) and Pioneer Electronics respectively, will store and play MP3 files and those encoded using Windows Media software.

Both will sell for $399.99 in the first quarter of this year.

XM, the top U.S. satellite operator, aims to expand its product line amid competition among technology companies including Apple Computer Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL - news), Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) and Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT - news) to provide more portable media.

Cellphone manufacturer Motorola on Tuesday said it planned to launch a subscription radio service, called iRadio, that will offer over 400 channels including some commercial free music and talk shows from radio company Clear Channel Communications Inc. (NYSE:CCU - news) this year.

XM's two players, part of its XM2Go line, will let users bookmark songs that can be purchased online from its joint venture service with
Napster.

Pioneer Electronics USA is a division of Pioneer Corp. (6773.T

http://news.yahoo.co....xmsatellite_dc

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted January 04 2006 - 01:20 AM

Those look pretty cool! Makes me wish I didn't get an iPod now.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Al_S

Al_S

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted January 05 2006 - 03:12 AM

Oh sure, after I buy the MyFi.Posted Image

The MyFi was much cheaper though. I'm using it on my train ride to and from work and it works pretty well. Not the best fidelity but tolerable.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Len Cheong

Len Cheong

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 12:16 AM

Is the reception ok while on the train? Do you need the accessory antenna?
len cheong