Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any Well-Recorded Train Documentaries or Films Suitable For a 12 Year Old?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 02:44 PM

I am setting up a system for someone, and their son is very into trains. We put on a few of his DVD's about trains, but they were not very good in both picture and sound quality.

Does anyone know of any movies or documentaries with very good picture and sound quality that deal with trains?

Thanks for any replies...
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#2 of 5 CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 05:09 PM

The Johnny Cash 'Riding The Rails' dvd is a good documentary...It was shot on 16mm, so I'm not sure its as clear and pristine as your looking for though.

#3 of 5 Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 08:52 PM

James,

This DVD is pretty cool. The Great Alaska Train Adventure.

http://www.amazon.co....s=dvd&v=glance

I haven't watched it in a while, so can't remember if the quality is top notch. But as I remember it didn't suck either. If you read all the Amazon reviews most people highly recommend the quality of the DVD. I actually rode on this train back in 1998 and what a ride; the scenery is spectacular!

I would recommend.

Rick
Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing? -Sam Goldwyn.

#4 of 5 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 11:02 PM

This may be stretching things too far and it's not much use unless you can play R2 discs, but the British Film Institute has done a couple of excellent DVD compilations of films commissioned by British Rail about British railways (obviously!) during the 1930s through to the early 60s. Some of these films involved famous directors and writers, and they are well worth seeing by anyone with an interest in film. The following link will guide you to one of these, and you should be able to easily find others on the same site:

http://play.com/play....=57&g=72&pa=sr

In addition, there are lots of Brit DVDs about trains - I don't know what it's like over in the USA, but in the UK, an interest in trains (particularly steam trains) tends to be a preserve of middle aged men and there is a strong niche market for stuff about trains. I would imagine that most of the DVDs are child-friendly in that it's unlikely there will be swearing, gratuitous sex and violence, etc. With Brit DVDs, you can generally rely on the certification - anything marked U or PG is likely to be safe. If you look at the Play.com site, then the search function should produce a wide variety of titles for you. However, they will of course be R2.

#5 of 5 Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted January 04 2006 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for good information, Andrew.