What's new

Do the new 1080P sets really resolve all that detail? (1 Viewer)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have stepped away from the display forums for a couple of years and man how things have changed quickly. Around 4 years ago I bought a 47" Panasonic HDTV RPTV and quickly fell in love with it. Around 2 years ago I bought a 34" Sony XBR Tube HDTV and also really loved it. Both sets I paid to have ISF calibrated to really take advantage of what they had to offer.

I remember 2 years ago people talking about how the 34" Sony could resolve more HDTV detail then any other set out there. Of course, it still couldn't show all the detail that HDTV has, and also since the screen is so small you would need to sit 3 feet away to notice it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the LCD RPTV's when they came out a couple of years ago. I liked their brightness and how they held up viewing at angles unlike my CRT RPTV, but they did not have the same image quality. Now I'm seeing all these set's the supposedly display 1080P resolution. My question is, is that the same as saying my set is displaying 1080i, when in reality it is something less then that? Do these sets really have the abilily to show all 1080 lines of resolution? I might be getting into the market again for a new set and was just curious what has changed. Thanks for the help!

John S

Senior HTF Member
A 1080p digital display will if it can be fed 1080p source. Most source is 720p or 1080i, in that case you would tehcnically correct that it isn't because it isn't be fed 1080p. I guess many 1080p displays do not support 1080p intput though.

but the display panel itself has the res needed to display 1080p. In CRT/Analog it works differently where the display uses the scan lines it really has to display what ever content can be sent to it.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some, actually many, 1080p TV sets compromise the incoming 1080i source material so you don't keep all 1080 lines of subject matter displayed crisply. For example when working with an odd field, scan line 2 is synthesized (interpolated) using the contents of scan lines 1 and 3 since there is no scan line 2 to work with. When the next (even) field comes in we have a real scan lines 2, 4, etc. but we don't have real scan lines 1 and 3 and have to do interpolation all over again.

For CRT's there is sometimes the added problem of the electron beam being too fat.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks