What's new

Alternative to Sygate firewall (1 Viewer)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Now that all Sygate personal firewall products have been discontinued due to the Symantec buyout what is the best alternative? I am assuming it is Kerio.

Quick update: I was looking for Kerio and they have also been bought out by Sunbelt Software.

Thanks

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Norton bought Sygate? Oh, that sucks on so many levels. I loved Sygate Personal Firewall, a great alternative not only to Norton but to the bloated Zone Alarm, a resource hog in all versions and one that made you buy the commercial edition to get features that Sysgate provided for free.

Next the bastards will buy AVG. :) Speaking of which, their professional Anti-Virus software does include a firewall. If you're looking for freeware/shareware, Fileseclab's Personal Firewall has gotten good reviews at Download.com. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I guess I will now that I need an alternative to Sygate. (I've also been using the built-in XP Firewall, which is not bad, but I tend to be a suspenders-and-belt kinda guy with PC security.)

Regards,

Joe

StevenFC

Second Unit
Ah shit, that's just great. Hmm...what do you think the chances are that Symantec will offer a free version of their "new" firewall? I guess it's just a pipe dream to think that these small companies will last forever. The only people that will survive aside from the large companies are those who aren't in it for the money, and do it for the love of helping others. I have no doubt Joe that AVG is next. Sygate and AVG are the two products I use btw. Guess maybe I should give in and become an ignorant lemming like most other computer users.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Personally, if you're only goal is to keep out worms and hackers -- not to control outbound traffic or too much inbound customization (e.g. VPN, remote access, etc) -- the XP firewall will do what you need. I have yet to hear of anyone hacking the XP firewall -- one company actually setup a contest at one point where they put up a "honeypot" with nothing but a patched XP system using the XP firewall and let people hack away. The contest got shut down, but nobody could do it. I'm sure it's possible, but I doubt anyone going for your personal home files is going to care enough or be good enough to get through it.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Why not just keep using Sygate?

Sure, there are no new versions coming out, but the last version released was plenty good enough to keep using for the forseeable future.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have decided to add a router and like Kimmo says keep Sygate running or move to the XP version.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
do a search for Look N Stop firewall. i highly recommend it. Its easily useable and highly configurable. but its just easier to use a router and you wont be using excess resources with a router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks