What's new

NIGHT GALLERY Seasons 2 and 3? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Anyone know if Universal is still planning to release the remaining seasons of Night Gallery on DVD? I remember reading that the second season was tentatively scheduled for late 2005, but obviously that hasn't happened. I hope Universal hasn't given up on it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
sorry i can't provide any info, but i just wanted to chime in and say how much i would like to see further releases of this show as well- especially season 2.
can't help but thinking it will be a while, if ever, before we see another release as Universal seemed to do everything in its power to scuttle sales and interest in the first season
foremost being a prohibitively higher than average MSRP -especially given that it had nothing in the way of bonus material beyond a handful of poorly chosen, weakly representative episodes from the later seasons,

to compound that, they alienated the shows fanbase by dismissing overtures from fans turned pros in the industry who would have gladly worked to make the release a more substantial, comprehensive package, and they also handled the backlash from the non-remastering issue poorly- further driving away potential sales from what would be blind buyers.

no clue, and no care.

FWIW, the a/v quality of Night Gallery i find greatly superior to recent releases like Night Stalker and Rockford Files. it may not have been as good as it could be, but it looks much fresher and crisper than either of the other two.
of course, the other two cost me about $20 less retail each.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Did Universal can the idea of releasing S2 altogether? There used to be a tidbit or two of information on nightgallery.net, now info about the S1 release and future releases has all but vanished from this website.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Universal was not pleased with sales of season one. No surprise, since so many boycotted it due to the poor reviews of the set's quality.

Claude North

Second Unit
Turns out the set wasn't really all that bad after all. Granted, it didn't reach new heights of TV-on-DVD greatness, but it was hardly the disaster that it was rumored to be. Too bad so many were scared off.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If memory serves, wasn't most of the pre-release hysteria generated from a single person who ran a NIGHT GALLERY site who was upset that all new transfers weren't done and thus concluded that what was going to be released would naturally look bad? This person posted on various message boards warning people against a product he himself had never seen.

Sometimes I think people have unrealistic expectations at the quality than can/should be expected from older material. Not everything is going to get a million dollar restoration.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, this is Night Gallery.....they're supposed to be scared! :D

I can't understand why the disc release of this show wouldn't be of pristine quality, when The Mystery Channel's are in excellent condition. Like most Universal series from the 1970s on, it doesn't need remastering.

Is Mystery Channel still playing Rod Serling's Night Gallery to death 6 evenings a week?? I haven't subscribed to the Encore package in a couple of years, but if they are just record them onto DVR-R discs -- complete, uncut, and in LP speed you can get 4 to a disc (nine shows if they're half hour episodes from the final season).

You don't need to spend extra money on pre-recorded sets, if they have no extras.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

The Encore contract expired. I did record them but why on earth would anyone use inferior quality LP speed? That went out with $20 blank video tapes 25 years ago. At 30 cents a disc, I think I can afford to record at SP. Besides, Encore is so compressed as it is that LP results in massive artifacts in the picture.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The marketing department was shown how much better the show could have looked with a little work. Dismissing that is not
the way to win over fans since they are going to purchase the majority of sets. try to e-mail them about it and you get nothing. Apparently they have also screwed up the Alfred Hitchcock season set as well.

Universal is starting to get a reputation. First you have the problem with DVD-18s. It's obvious when they do the transfers, they don't do even the minimal work that others do. What is the result? Out of numerous tv releases, the very few classic shows have gone to a second release. Columbo, Emergency, and Leave It to Beaver are the only ones
so far.

Compare Universal's work with other studios like Paramount and Warner. Paramount has done excellent work with shows like The Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes, and Andy Griffith Show. warner did a excellent job with Gilligan's Island. The picture quality is excellent and some extras have been done. Universal offers no extras and picture quality is
mediocre.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Although I have some reservations over the S1 box art work and the use of the J. Goldsmith composed obnoxiosly loud Universal logo at the beginning of each episode, overall I was satisfied with the transfer quality and would purchase S2 and S3 if done in like manner. I do hope Universal gives it another go with a S2 release, because this is where NG really hit it's stride with the sheer number of great quality episodes including "Cool Air", "Camera Obscura", "A Question of Fear", "The Messiah on Mott Street", Silent Snow, Secret Snow" and my personal favorite, "Midnight Never Ends".

Jon Baker

Second Unit
The best and most memorable episodes were those of seasons 2 & 3. I don't think season 3 was a full run so it could easily be included in a seasons 2 & 3 set. I'm not sure what fans were complaining about as I thought the a/v was good. I was much happier with the a/v on NG than I was with that on the 80's Twilight Zone, and those managed to get a season 2/3 set.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

Personally I'd rather see Season 2 released separately, then they could wrap season 3 up with Sixth Sense and release those as a pair as both are relatively short. Granted Sixth Sense isn't anywhere near as good as Night Gallery but it would be nice to see it out there (particularly in full length episodes not the hacked abortions shown in syndication).

Jeff#

Screenwriter
There's no reason whatsoever to release the 3rd season of Night Gallery along with Gary Collins' unrelated The Sixth Sense series. Universal made that mistake when they syndicated them together to local station in 1970s syndication just to have "X" number of episodes, and that will never happen again. It was misleading to retitle The Sixth Sense as "Rod Serling's Night Gallery". And besides....6th Sense was a lame show.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
No it wasn't, it had the almighty Gary Collins, one of the best and most underrated American actors ever. I want to see it, I want "Born Free" too.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I e-mailed Universal and they replied that they have no plans to release Seasons 2 & 3. That's a shame because it really is one of the better shows. I have to admit though that the 1st season was a little overpriced and so I opted for a used set when I bought it. At least Hitchcock Presents is getting a Season 2 in October...but we'll see how long that lasts!

Hopefully people are still e-mailing them on this!

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I had that sinking feeling about the remaining two seasons when I first discovered that some later episodes were tacked on to season one as a "bonus". No commitment towards S2-3 is a rather stupid (but hardly atypical) move from Universal. At one point there were over 2000 signatures on a petition requesting further releases for NG. I doubt that "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" has the same level of fandom that this series carries. I just now checked nightgallery.net and there's not even a glimmer of hope for further releases. In fact there's less information posted than what this site had posted prior.

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Season one of Night Gallery is being released in the UK on 16th October. For those with region-free players, there's always the possibility that seasons 2 and 3 might be released over here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks