What's new

Shows you bought but were disappointed (1 Viewer)

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
You decided not to by anymore

1.Lost in Space-Only bought season 1
2.Magyver- Bought Season 1 & 2 only
3.Silk Stalkings- Bought Season 1 only
4.Moonlighting-(seasons 1&2 one set)
5.Charlies Angels Season 1 & 2 (will not buy anymore)
6.Remmington Steele Season 1 only
7.CSI Miami-Season 1 & 2 only

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I've never done any blind buys with TV-on-DVD but The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and Jetsons first season sets were more than enough for me...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think Steve meant shows that maybe he loved when he was younger and bought the DVD's for old times sake and after watching a few episodes, realized he didn't still like them the way he used to. All but one of those shows are from over a decade ago, and most of those besides MacGyver weren't always shown in reruns in the time since.

However, with CSI Miami maybe he likes the show on television, but then watching it on DVD, he realized while he enjoys it, it's not enough to want to own. I am that way with a number of shows, like Six Feet Under for instance (even though if they come out with a box set like they did with S&TC and charge relatively respectable prices for it at Best Buy/Target, I might budge).... OR maybe he bought CSI Miami due to word of mouth and didn't like it. I dunno, was just assuming.

Jim_Chamberlin

Auditioning
I've only made one blind-buy, and it hasn't shipped yet, so we'll see. :) For those of you responding, I think it would be nice if you would offer a reason for why you didn't like it (just didn't interest you, problems with dvd, etc). I'd be curious to hear about this sort of thing...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
So far:

- Lost In Space - only have Season 1. I found, for me, that it didn't "stand up vs time" to me. Loved it as a kid but it's a little too "campy" for me, I guess. Still, I admit it's a cool Irwin Allen series.
- Charlie's Angels. Was only planning on getting S1 & 2 from the outset. Not a disappointment, but I wasn't interested in this series beyond S2.
- NYPD Blue: Have S1 & 2; on the fence about getting S3. Won't get any further seasons. (same as Charlie's Angels; wasn't planning on getting it beyond possibly S3 from the outset). Loved S1 (David Caruso's was made for "John Kelly" in my opinion. Big loss to that series when he left although Jimmy Smits was probably the best "replacement" actor for that slot), S2 still held up good for me.

(not sure if this is what this thread is supposed to be...hopefully, this post is what Steve was looking for...)

I'll slip in an "opposite" vote and say that I bought the A-Team on a complete blind-buy having never seen any of this series during it's initial run. I love this series :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have one purchase that sorta qualifies- Firefly. Since I had heard that Firefly was nearly the best thing ever created by the hand of man, I guess I couldn't help but be let down by it. By no means is it a bad show but it didn't seem like anything that great to me.

And keep in mind that 'dissapointment' is kind of a strong word since it didn't stop me from getting (and enjoying) Serenity.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I guess the big one for me is Wiseguy. I bought the first two volumes because I never saw the first season.

Shows like Moonlighting, I see myself giving up on after the first few seasons. No reason to relive the horror of it's final seasons.

There are a lot of shows that I am kind of stalled on and will probably pick up more when money allows.

Some of those are...

Dick Van Dyke Show (have the first 2 seasons)
Homicide: Life of the Street (again first two seasons)
Cheers (seasons 1-5)
Seinfeld (seasons 1 and 2)
Curb Your Enthusiam (first three seasons)

Some, I may just give up on. For instance with Cheers, I may just stick with the Sam and Diane years.

I will probably quit All in the Family when Mike and Gloria leave.

I have yet to pick up NYPD Blue, but would like to get the first few seasons of that as well. Maybe when season 3 comes out there will be deals on seasons 1 and 2.

Too much money and too little time.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Oh and TravisR. You gave up on Firefly after season one but still enjoyed Serenity? Well, you ain't missing much... cuz that's all there is!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I am coming into Moonlighting a virgin to the show and I love seasons 1 and 2, but I already have vowed to myself to leave off with season 3 because just hearing others words on the last two seasons gives me enough reason to avoid those for life.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Bob Newhart Show - Season 1

I don't think I've watched more than the first disc as I didn't really find it funny.

24 - Season 1

It was great to start with, but as it went on the characters and situations became so ridiculous and maddening, that I found myself yelling at the stupidity on the screen more than enjoying myself.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Problem with 24 and I stupidly bought all 4 set (however 2 were at a ridiculously Priced 19.99) is that you committed to watching the whole season when you start watching it. It's not like Green Acres that I can watch an ep when the whim hits me. A fact which may lead me to art with my 24 sets soon.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

This has been my problem with TNG... I've seen each episode at least 10 times each (well maybe not Shades of Grey :D), which is quite a bit more than just about any other series except the Golden Girls, but if TNG was priced like GG is I'd already have every season. I got more caught up with purchasing DS9, my favorite of the Trek series. That was a bitch scraping together $100 every other month but I did it and got every one of the Best Buy bonus discs.

Highlander is another that suffers from 'when I get to it'. I wasn't as impressed with S1 as I thought I would be, even though I did enjoy it quite a bit. The locations and guest stars like Joan Jett and Roland Gift were a definite plus and I loved the character played by Werner Stocker, who sadly died.

Charmed seems to be the only series I've started buying that after the first season (and checking out subsequent seasons on TV while waiting for S2 to come out) I've decided to not purchase any more of. The show became too repetitious for my tastes and the S1 finale had a nice sense of arc closure.

The West Wing is a different story. I stopped after S2 due to the death of my favorite character and other story problems.

There are series like Frasier and The Simpsons that I don't plan on completing, like West Wing, because the shows lost their way (imho, of course).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bought Andromeda S1, didn't much care for it, but was sort of sucked in by the cliffhanger finale. So, I bought S2, didn't much care for it, and am done with the series.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I feel the same way, but I am staying with it through season 4. The show was still okay after Shannen left, but season 4 had a great season finale and arcs were closed and to me, it ends there because season 5 onward is nothing worth revisiting.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Larry Sanders Show -- I enjoyed it, but one season was enough for me. I am NOT disappointed that the rest of the series will never see the light of day, as I wouldn't have bought any more, anyway.

Seinfeld -- Sitcoms don't really do it for me, but I bought the first volume anyway for historical value. I'll not buy any more.

Oz -- Loved the first season, found S2 to be contrived and ridiculous.

Xena: Princess Warrior (S1) -- A blind buy that I just hated. Way too campy for me.

Lois & Clark -- I've always been a fan of the Superman saga since I was a little kid. Bought this on sale as a blind buy, and it was a chore to get through.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Gotta agree with you about Lois and Clark. I also picked up the first season and it may be the last.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks