What's new

American adaptations of Japanese films prior to "The Magnificent Seven"? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the clunky subject line, but here's the question: what - if any - Japanese films were remade for American audiences before 1960's The Magnificent Seven? I'm reviewing the new Mag 7 DVD and I'm curious to know if it was a pioneer in this area. I can't think of anything before it - Godzilla doesn't count, IMO - but I'd not be surprised to learn I'm forgetting something...

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
It looks like Magnificent Seven was the first out of the gate, at least for films. I found some info on a Broadway play starring Rod Steiger that was published in '59 that was an adaptation of Rashomon. Also Sidney Lumet directed a teleplay in 1960 of the Rashomon adaptation starring Ricardo Montalban. This was also made again into a film starring Paul Newman called in The Outrage in '64 though it might have been different than the play. But the Lumet directed teleplay was aired in December of 1960 and The Magnificent Seven came out in October of that year. I'd be interested to know if you find any additional information on earlier adaptations of Japanese films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks