Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American adaptations of Japanese films prior to "The Magnificent Seven"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31 2005 - 05:37 AM

Sorry for the clunky subject line, but here's the question: what - if any - Japanese films were remade for American audiences before 1960's [i]The Magnificent Seven[i]? I'm reviewing the new Mag 7 DVD and I'm curious to know if it was a pioneer in this area. I can't think of anything before it - Godzilla doesn't count, IMO - but I'd not be surprised to learn I'm forgetting something...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 02:24 AM

It looks like Magnificent Seven was the first out of the gate, at least for films. I found some info on a Broadway play starring Rod Steiger that was published in '59 that was an adaptation of Rashomon. Also Sidney Lumet directed a teleplay in 1960 of the Rashomon adaptation starring Ricardo Montalban. This was also made again into a film starring Paul Newman called in The Outrage in '64 though it might have been different than the play. But the Lumet directed teleplay was aired in December of 1960 and The Magnificent Seven came out in October of that year. I'd be interested to know if you find any additional information on earlier adaptations of Japanese films.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,340 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the notes - glad someone finally chimed in for this thread. It was getting lonely! Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com