What's new

Color of the home theater room? (1 Viewer)

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I was initially going to do my complete room in flat.
Remember, if anyone touches the walls, like kids, forget it.
This is what I did.

Rear and sides (satin) (easy to wipe off hand prints or if anyone spills something)
Front wall, sheetrock screen, ceiling tiles (flat)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Has anyone tried Ace Hardware's "Ace Sensations" paint?

If not, I may be the first. It is a flat latex that washes like a semigloss.

More info at; www.acesensations.com

I'm going with a two-tone scheme. Dark "chocolate" color on front and rear walls, and a lighter "latte" color on the side walls.

That's really impressive looking. My wife had no problem accomodating my want for a dark room, so we got a really dark (very dark) purple, paired with an almost black ceiling, and a rather dark gray carpet. Using flat for the paint. The theater isn't finished, but I really like the purple so far.

Alexander T

Auditioning
Not to hijack a thread, but I too am intrested about color for my theatre room.

Its actually a matter of me not being able to pick a color. I have a room with light blue carpet, light brown cabinets, and white shutters. My furniture is dark grey and seating black leather.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Im so all over the place lol. Unfortunately as well, the place is not mine so I am unable to replace carpet, and can not paint shutters or cabinets.

Here is the URL to a photo. Sorry i am unable to do a hyperlink, its my first post.

torres.whiteazn.com/room1.jpg

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Alexander T,

I'm no expert in the field of HT design or color, but I would suggest that no matter the color that you set upon, that you consider Ace's "Sensations" Flat Latex. I've just painted my home theater (under construction) two shades of brown (one like chocolate, the other is a lighter coffee color).

I've read where a dark, flat finish is preferred in home theaters to minimize reflected light.

EDIT - More details on the Scotchgard flat latex that washes as easily as a semi-gloss at; www.acesensations.com

Here are photos of my work in progress;

Left wall looking toward the rear wall

Center toward rear wall

Right wall looking toward the rear wall

When looking at color, I chose to go with something that m furniture would best blend with the walls in order to avoid anything reflecting in the display (depending on the type you have). In addition to that, I have read that darker colors behind and to the sides help accentuate contast and color.

In my case, since the room is not 100% dedicated to use as a home theater, I compromised with dark and yet warm colors.

Another good tip in color choice that my wife has taught me is to try and stay with something neutral. Neutral wall colors afford the greatest amount of flexibility when decorating, or should you decide to change decor, or furnishings in the future.

Regards,
Spence

Alexander T

Auditioning
Thank you so much for your suggestions. The two different browns look really good, and the rooms not even done yet!

I'm going to look into the ace flat paint in a dark red color i think.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Spence JT,

So you're saying that the Acesensations flat latex washes as well as a semi gloss or satin? If so, that would be excellent.

Don

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Well Don, that is what Ace is claiming.

I've seen the in store demo and have drawn on their demo board painted with the stuff using the supplied crayon & lipstick. It washed off and left no scuffs on the paint.

I have however, not ventured (nor do I intend to) the same demonstration on my newly painted walls. The product claims to be washable which is kind of like auto ensurance. When I've got a three year old running around, it is nice to know that there is some level of protection. :D

The paint is impregnated with "Scotchguard" and looks great once it is applied. More info on the product, along with a demo video clip, is at; www.acesensations.com

I only hope it works as advertised when the time comes that I need to clean something off of a wall.

Spence

Adger

Auditioning
Real Name
Olivia
Help needed. Trying to decide on paint color for our media room. We've chosen Theatre Red from SW , dark trim for tray ceiling and floor board , having a hard time selecting ceiling color. Any suggestions

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I haven't been able to look into Ace's "Sensations" Flat Latex details, but I have found that many paint brands have washable flat paints these days. We like to use Duron Velvet Flat paints and I believe even Behr has a Flat Enamel paint. While not quite as flat as typical flat paints the sheen is hardly noticed. It would be interesting to find out if this is just Ace's variation on what others have also done, or if this is truly something new.

I went with dark blue upper side and back walls, and ceiling. With dark burgundy patterned fabric over rigid fiberglass on the lower side and back walls. For the front I completely covered the wall with black speaker grill fabric covering more rigid fiberglass.

1500wattaction

Auditioning
Real Name
jack
I agree with knutJawstad. Choclate would look great! It also helps with the lighting as well. I recently redid my HT room and replaced the carpet with wood floors to help with spills. It works good for acoustics as well. I painted mine a dark red with black trim and I found some matching black with red piping home theater seating that really turns the room into the ultimate HT room. My neighbors are now trying to compete!

mgconnection

Auditioning
Real Name
MARK
HINT: to all who are painting with colors with a lot of pigment (reds, blue, green,brown, etc,etc

if you prime your wall first you will get the true color and not under tones. ask the dealer were you buy your paint if he can and the color to your primer base. most colors need two or three coats to cover the under tone color. this helps to get the true color that you pick and not a blue-green when the is subpossed to be blue

mgconnection home improvement and repair

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks