• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,938 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 08:48 AM

"Alright sweethearts, you heard the man and you know the drill! Assholes and elbows! Hudson, come here...COME HEREPosted Image"

All-Time Edition started by Jordan.

2004 Edition started by me, but went haywire. Should have focused on 2004 movies.

I am sure we'll get it right this time Posted Image What defines the WOW! moment? Well, that's up to you. For me, it is spectacle with purpose, overwhelming emotional content, something that shifts your paradigm, or just something ridiculously cool. It's essentially the moments that stick with you long after you've seen the film.

So, onto 2005. No more than three per film, even Kong, which boasted more than that for me.

War of the Worlds - Spielberg keeps the film tight and focused, but the initial attack is pretty amazing.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - More than one Posted Image I really felt Lucas regained his footing with this film as a straight up director. There were numerous skilled shots or sequences, some effects intense, and some carried just by the actors:
- Padme's Ruminations (thank the immortal John Williams for this), I consider this one of the top two or three scenes in all 6 films, one of the best sequences of the year
- Anakin alone on Mustafar with his single tear
- The ending sequence was another stupendous collection of moments...great bits strung together thematically and tying into Episode IV cleanly and emotionally

Batman Begins - I was shocked by how colossally great this film was. Direction, script, acting, cinematography.
- The death of the Waynes in Crime Alley
- Bruce's first night as Batman...felt like Alien, which is exactly right
- Batmobile chase (best use of subwoofers in a long time)

The Constant Gardener - quite a few scenes for the visuals, but specifically:
- the ending (when his brother-in-law is giving the eulogy)
- the reuniting of Justin and Tessa (even if only in his mind)
- at Tessa's funeral, when Kioko brings the card, walking miles and miles to be at her funeral...I lost it, one of the most powerful scenes of the year for me

Constantine - Odd inclusion, and solely for the Tilda Swinton scenes

Unleashed - When the flashback of his mother playing the piano near the end puts it all in perspective

KING KONG - A special case for me, as there were sequences that are already nestled warmly near the top of in my "greatest scenes ever" list, and more than one. And more than five. But three was my rule (for me, others can add tons):
- Kong/V-Rex fight immediately became the most exhilarating action sequence in years. As spectacle goes...flawless and over the top, but breathtaking.
- Kong's capture and Ann's reaction to the entire event
- Saying goodbye to Kong was absolutely devastating for me, incredibly shot, acted, and animated

If I was allowed to add more, and I'm not, I would have included the Skull Island sunset, and sunrise on the Empire State Building. But I'm not Posted Image

Please share yours!
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#2 of 27 Cory S.

Cory S.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 09:53 AM

I missed the 2004 Edition when it hit, so I have to chime this time. This is a brilliant idea, Chuck.

WOW moments of 2005:

War of the Worlds
- The Ferry Boat Attack Sequence: Scared the hell out of me.
- The Mini-Van One-take scene: I'm still trying to figure out how much of it was in camera and how much was digital matte paintings. Anyone have a clue?

Munich
- The Hotel Bedroom Bombing Scene: Jolted me right out of my chair. Truly terrifying
- The Final Scene/Final Shot: No words.
- Telephone Conversation Scene: A heartbreaking scene that should land Eric Bana an Oscar nomination.

Lord of War
- The Opening Credits: Awesome sequence. Got me into the film right away.

Batman Begins
- The Tumbler Chase: The title speaks for itself. The best car chase I've ever seen, bar none.
- Backup: Batman signals his backup and they come in full force. We end the scene with Batman jumping down, cape extended, engulfed by the night creatures and moves on. Perfection.
- I'm Batman: In my opinion, 10 times better than Keaton's verison.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

-Priori Incantatem: Harry and Voldemort Duel. Emotional, filled with drama, and visually stunning. Great moment that sets the stage for the rest of the series.

Finally, Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

-Padme's Ruminations: The most important, emotional, and poignant scene in the history of Star Wars. Period. End of the discussion. Pure, visual storytelling. And as Chuck stated above, thank God for the genius that is John Williams.

-Vader on Mustafar: Lucas's tone poem as he states on the commentary. This is the moment in the film that truly represents the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. Again, visual storytelling at its best.

-Duel of the Fates/Battle of the Heroes: Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. Yoda vs. Sidious. The music of John Williams. The perfection of the editing. The visuals. The drama. The emotion. The action. 'Nuff said.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#3 of 27 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 10:15 AM

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

To the great moments mentioned above, I'd like to add:

WAR! - My favorite opening sequence of all six films. The way the camera follows our two heroes as the war rages around them is just jaw-dropping.

Order 66 - This sequence has made me cry each time I've seen the film.

King Kong

Sunrise at the Empire State Building - When Ann says "Beautiful", she not only describes the sunrise, but the scene itself.

Serenity

Wash's Final Flight - "I'm a leaf in the wind, watch how I..." and then he's gone. Classic Joss Whedon. You're laughing one moment, then you're shocked the next and soon after you want to cry.

Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#4 of 27 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• PipPipPip
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 29 2005 - 10:34 AM

WOW moments?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 27 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 10:37 AM

War of the Worlds
The sight of the tripods all together after the ferry attack.

ROTS
The speed of the saber fights on Mustafar.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 27 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted December 29 2005 - 11:18 AM

For me...

War of the Worlds Visual effects have truly reached a point where, in the hands of a skilled filmmaker, can truly knocked your socks off! The emergence of the Tripods and their following attack is one of this years definite highlights.

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith I was wowed by Anakin's hatred and the extent to which he used it, from the moment he was given the name by Sidious, Vader began to saturate his soul and that feeling was palpable.

Padme' confronts Anakin on Mustafar. "You were with HIM! You brought him here to kill me!" Love it! Posted Image

Anakin's and Obi-Wan's duel. It was infused by so much raw emotion that it works on just about every level, both spectacular and sad as we watch the misguided Anakin try to destroy his friend and master and his ultimate failure.

Anakin's imolation. From his heart wrenching cries of agony and his line "I hate you!!!", this is one of my favorite scenes in any of the SW films.

Yoda *VS* Sidious in the senate chamber. I get off on that whole sequence, especially when Sidious is gleefully lobbing pods at Yoda like they were frisbees and Yoda swiftly jumping to avoid them.

And finally, Vader's augmentation. This was it, THE moment I had waited for for years, Anakin being locked inside his prison, his body deformed and twisted, his mind and soul fragmented. When that droid was lowering that familiar black steel faceplate into position, locks it down and we hear that first breath, I was almost beside myself with giddiness. Posted Image

Land of the Dead The scene where the zombies were emerging from the river sent chills up my spine.

The Fog As in "WOW! Did that suck!" Posted Image

Sin City The entire freakin' film was a WOW moment! Posted Image

I'm finally seeing King Kong this weekend and I already know that it will make this list. Posted Image

Batman Begins The best damn Batman movie ever! I wanted a Tumbler for Christmas, I didn't get one, though. Posted Image

And lastly, not specifically the films themselves, but I have to mention Red Eye and Wedding Crashers, what wowed me about those films you ask? It was the gorgeous Rachel McAdams! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 27 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Batman Begins - I was shocked by how colossally great this film was

I'll second that.

Others off the top of my head:

ROTS-Anakin force choking Padme, and then the first moment of the duel as Williams "Battle of the Heroes" theme kicks in

The revelation of Darth Sideous and the duel with Mace

Order 66

The death of Padme and the creation of Vader

The emotional final montage of images and sound

KING KONG-The first meeting with the natives
The T-Rex battle
The first shot of the planes arriving at the ESB
The look of 1933 New York, especially the recreation of the legendary Mayfair Theater(with the giant billboard for Fritz Lang's M)

#8 of 27 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 12:04 PM

A few more...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Foreign Visitors Arrive - The shot of the ship rising from the water was just too cool.

Batman Begins

"He left his calling card" - I don't think anyone at my midnight showing was expecting a Joker reference. Everyone went wild when Gordon gave the card to Batman, myself included.

King Kong (Yes, again. Posted Image)

T-Rex Fight - The whole sequence was amazing, but the big "Wow!" moment for me was when Kong chomped off the last dino's tongue and then broke its jaw. That was so unexpected and brutal. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was awesome! Posted Image
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#9 of 27 Justin_S

Justin_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 12:05 PM

Here are a few.

Munich
- The larger than expected explosion in the next door hotel room. Brilliant editing and use of sound here, a truly jawdropping sequence.
- The disturbing assassination of the Dutch woman via pop guns.
- The performances in general, so damn good. Bana would win the Oscar if the awards were about more than popularity.

The Devil's Rejects
- The scene where Sheriff Wydell is driving the captured rejects back to their house. A very surreal moment of pure madness.
- When Wydell is maniacally stalking Baby.
- The magnificent ending with Freebird played over it. Hell, any of the many montages in the film set to songs that fit perfectly.

A History of Violence
- The quiet, well done opening of the film with the two killers at the motel.
- The stairwell sequence. An intense display of the emotional effect everything has had on this family.
- The brutal conflict in the front yard.

Grizzly Man
- The scene where the bear looks like he's going to swat Treadwell.
- The scene where he flips out and demands rain.
- The Letterman scene. It has a profound sense of eeriness to it knowing what we know. I'm pissed that this was edited out of the DVD version.

War of the Worlds
- The emergence of the first tripod.
- The three tripods coming over the hill during the ferry scene.
- The Tripod rising out of the water right by the ferry.

Land of the Dead
- The commercial for Fiddler's Green. Very unsettling in a unique way.
- The zombies ignoring the fireworks to attack the people instead. A real "oh shit!" moment.

Syriana
- The assassination of the Prince and his family. This really hit me hard, as the Prince and Clooney's character were both very likable.

Wolf Creek
- The wonderful sky shot of the Wolf Creek meteor crater.

#10 of 27 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• PipPipPip
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 29 2005 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
Kong/V-Rex fight immediately became the most exhilarating action sequence in years.

Quote:
The T-Rex battle

Quote:
T-Rex Fight - The whole sequence was amazing,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#11 of 27 Adam_S

Adam_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 01:02 PM

king of the year

Kong versus the T Rexs, WOW!

And

Kong's eyes, holy shit how'd they do that?

other:

High shot of Anakin entering Jedi Temple in Revenge of the Sith

"Do I look like a cop to you!!!" in Batman Begins

"This is blood for blood and by the gallons. The good ol' days, the bad ol' days the all or nothing days, THEY'RE BACK!" from Sin City

First tableau in Mrs. Henderson Presents

Statue of Liberty in Mrs. Henderson Presents

Lucy enters Narnia in Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

The beavers Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Aslan and Edmund in Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

"Please don't run, we're very tired and would prefer to kill you quickly" from Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Christmas Eve dinner The Family Stone

"No, no. You don't get it. This isn't good cop, bad cop. This is fag and New Yorker" in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Dion Beebe's cinematography in Memoirs of a Geisha

Entrance of Durmstrang to the Great Hall Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Mad Eye Moody's first lesson Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Millions

Tom Cruise goes after Tim Robbins in the backroom in War of the Worlds

Angelina Jolie's weapon stash in Mr and Mrs Smith

#12 of 27 Nick C.

Nick C.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 01:07 PM

Since Chuck mentioned the definition of "Wow" is far-reaching, a couple of mine were (while trying to choose choice words to prevent any potential spoilers):

"Grizzly Man": Herzog interviews Treadwill's former flame and listens to the lens-capped recording.

"Brokeback Mountain":
-Last meeting on the river/lake side, where Jack summarizes their relationship and his vent-up anger over the years.
-Alma witnessing Ennis and Jack greeting each other for the first time in 4 years after Brokeback.
-Ennis eating pie in diner, breaking heart of woman who fell in love with him.
-Ennis finding shirts in Jack's closet crevice.
-"Jack, I swear..."

"Syriana":
-Bob Barnes chases down Prince Nassir's motorcade, seconds too late.
-Prince Nassir agreeing to additional contract for Bryan Woodman's (Damon) "other son" during their first meeting on the sand dunes.
-Prince Nassir charismatically declaring his dreams for his country to Woodman, then his counselors/advisors.
-Hug between father and converted-Islamic-fundamentalist son.
-Jimmy Dalton's tirade to Bennet Holiday on the merits of corruption.

"Crash":
-Matt Dillon's cop rescues Thandie Newton's crash victim.
-Thandie Newton's harassed wife confronts Terrence Howard's helpless husband and witness
-The confrontation between Arab shopkeeper and the object of his vengance, the locksmith, with gun in hand and children at play.

"Jarhead":
-Swofford ordered to play bugle...bugle-less
-Swofford ordered to replace feces container because colonel/superior didn't want to walk across camp for his morning defecation.
-Swofford and platoon's final release, firing M-16s into the smoke-filled sky

"Lord of War": Opening lifecycle-of-a-bullet sequence

"Pride & Prejudice":
-Darcy professing his love for Elizabeth in the rain, only to be rejected on every count
-Jane trying to hide hurt feelings to Elizabeth after not being contacted by Bingley for months, minutes later followed by suppressed joy on Jane's face as he returns to profess his love

"The Squid and the Whale":
-Closing sequence where Walt runs from hospital to Museum of Natural History.
-Walt referring to "The Metamorphosis" as "Kafka-esque", Walt and Bernard taking turns labeling novels as minor works by Dickens and Fitzgerald.
-Walt defending his cover of Pink Floyd, who wrote the song was mere "technicality"

"Capote":
-Capote visits and lies to the murderers at their hanging.
-Harper (Catherine Keener) forcing Capote to take the final phone call, then confronting him about his "intentions"

"The Interpreter":
-Bus explosion
-Penn's federal agent realizing something's amiss at Silvia's apartment, races across street, followed by gun battle.

"Hustle & Flow":
-Djay finds his first hook during recording session with help of one of his prostitutes.
-Djay explains to Nola of his dreams of escaping the thug-life

"Sin City":
-Hartigan rescues Nancy from Yellow Bastard
-Prostitutes take out goons, notably the sword-welding and samurai-star throwing Miho

"The Island": Our surprise when we first discover the real fate of the island-lottery winners when one winner and pregant woman are...harvested.
later Pooh...

#13 of 27 Kain_C

Kain_C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 03:40 PM

Lots of moments from ROTS. I watched it again recently and enjoyed it more.

I'd like to add the part immediately after Palpatine is attacked. He's all messed up and he puts that hood up, and there he is...THE Emperor. And his eyes are glowing eerily...just wow.

Also, when Palpatine declares his intention to reorganize the Republic "into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society." That scene is so powerful and frighteningly relevant.

I also like the small parts, like the Force fanfare when R2 shoots that buzzdroid off Anakin's ship.

And the ending...I can't describe how wonderful and powerful it is to me. It was actually pretty simple which was a shock, and it showed me that Lucas did in fact change for the better. I got very sad that it was the last Star Wars film ever...so far.

Cinderella Man - The wow moment was at the end when I realized just how great a film this was, which surprised the hell out of me!

#14 of 27 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,829 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 29 2005 - 04:58 PM

The moment penguins started to die in "March of the Penguins"

I looked around at all the kids and thought "Whoa! I didn't realize this was going to happen!"

Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#15 of 27 Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 05:41 PM

Besides the ones mentioned from "King Kong", "War of the Worlds" & "Sith":

- The Lion's Roar in "Kung Fu Hustle"

- The first shot of the chocolate river and the Augustus Gloop song from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

- Aslans return from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
"It's not HBO ... it's just regular ass TV." - Chappelle

#16 of 27 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 21,769 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 06:42 PM

The final shot in Caché (impossible to explain unless you've seen the film, and a spoiler if you haven't).

Just about any conversation between Perry and Truman in Capote.

The bike ride that turns into an illustrated map in Little Manhattan.

Almost any scene with Jeff Daniels in The Squid and the Whale.

Felicity Huffman's two full-frontal scenes in Transamerica (not the best scenes in the movie, but the most startling).

Just about every scene with Melissa Leo in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

The hymn-singing scene in Junebug.

The scene in Keane where he babysits Amy Ryan's daughter.

The conclusion of The Dying Gaul.

The initial "encounter" with the coach in Mysterious Skin.

The bicycle ride in Lila Says.

The scene in the hotel room after the divorce has been finalized in 5x2.

The recital at the end of Look at Me (if you've seen the film, you'll know the moment I mean).

The conclusion of My Summer of Love.

The traffic accident near the beginning of Cronicas.

Almost any scene from the kidnapping in Secuestro Express.

Kevin Pollak channeling Christopher Walken in The Aristocrats.

The ending of Hustle and Flow (the last scene with D-Jay).

The conclusion of Kontroll.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 27 Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 04:27 AM

The flaming train from War of the Worlds

#18 of 27 JohnRice

JohnRice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 10:43 AM

I'll pass on the visual "Wows" and go for the single biggest phychological "Wow" I had this year.

The Upside of Anger: "Sometimes you just don't have all the facts." The scene following that line had my head spinning and the wheels turning full speed. I don't expect it to have quite that profound an effect on many others, but it should.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#19 of 27 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 12:34 PM

Im just going to say whatever has been said re:

Sith, War of Worlds, Goblet and Kong.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#20 of 27 ThomasC

ThomasC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 01:52 PM

None of the big films (ROTS, WOTW, Batman, King Kong, etc.) had any "WOW!" moments for me. The only "WOW!" moments I've felt were during Pride & Prejudice. It had so many beautiful shots, and it's my favorite film of the year so far.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow