Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

installing Wainscoting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MarcCh

MarcCh

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 06:38 AM

Has anyone considered installing Wainscoting in their home theater?? Is it difficult to install??

thanks in advance

Marc

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 02:37 AM

Hi Marc,

Wainscoting is just paneling, and as such you can install it the same way. Adhesive and/or paneling nails. I do not have it in my home theater, but do have it in one of my hallways. It does look nice and does not have to be painted, of course you can paint it if the desire strikes.

Gods Love
chris

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark R O

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 07:06 PM

Marc,
Careful now! It starts with wainscoting or baseboard, next thing you know you are deep into crown moulding!
The main issue I stumbled over a few years ago on my first crown/trim project was angle of the cuts. Your miter saw may be perfectly set, the most care taken but when you put it on the wall, there is a 1/4 " gap between two pieces. AAAArgh. Finally learned that walls are almost never straight, corners never 90 degrees, floors and ceilings never parallel.
I urge you to go to Home Depot or such and pick up a tool called the True Angle. Looks like two rulers held with a thumbscrew at one end. It is a mandatory tool in my view for correct measurements. Be sure to get the associated book with conversion charts, step by step tasks and pictures. For more info check out www.compoundmiter.com Best of luck!
The aim of life is to live and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   hgerman

hgerman

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted April 27 2007 - 01:40 PM

Wainscoting would be a nice look for a home theater since it blends technology with tradition.