What's new

Classic TV/DVD Wish List for '06 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, all...

Anyone else want more of the classics in '06? In this case, I'd say "classics" are any series that were originally aired between the mid 50's thru the '80's. Mine are in my signature.

[editorial] I'm constantly amazed that there are some of the youngsters out there that like some of the same series that we ('Boomers) grew up with...an example is my nephew (born in '80 which makes him a "Millenium" kid, I think that's the correct phrase for the '77-2000 kids). He likes the original "Dick Van Dyke" show....amazing!

Can't wait for TSoD's '06 prediction list. Keep that batting average awesome, Gord/Dave :D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would like to see Perry Mason and Get Smart get fast-tracked.

Also wanted: My Three Sons, Ironside, and the various crime dramas of the 70s (Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Mannix).

I would also like Universal to start putting out problem free DVDs so I can start buying their products with confidence. I've passed over several releases that I normally would have purchased because I just don't have time to watch an entire set soon after purchase to check for defects.

Steve

LCD22

Screenwriter
Let's see. I hope Warner Bros. releases "Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family" in season sets in '06. I also would like to see the 80s Canadian drama "Danger Bay". Fox, I hope, will finally bring "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" to DVD (in season sets). Then there's that tie-in with "I Dream of Jeannie"...

Speaking of Sony, they need to bring out "Father Knows Best". My mom loves that show. "Gidget", "The Flying Nun", and "The Donna Reed Show" would be nice too. Those are also her favorites that Sony owns.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Three of my biggest wants are Mission: Impossible, The Wild Wild West and Rawhide--all of which have been announced as strong rumors for 2006--so I guess I'm in luck!

Outside of that, I would really like to see the studios finish a few classics that they already started and have subsequently abandoned. Baretta and SWAT immediately come to mind.

Since your mom loves the show, is this currently airing somewhere or are you just referring to her memories of the show? I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since it aired on a local station way back in the '70s.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Same for me, especially M.I. Anything related to your last name and your wish for M.I.? :D (remember one of the main stars in that show? Last name was "Landau")

LCD22

Screenwriter

It had a limited run on TV Land for a certain amount of episodes. Their contract expired.

It used to be on The Family Channel. They also aired the reunion TV-movie.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, season sets of Welcome Back Kotter, The Adams Family, Get Smart, and continuations of shows started already such as Dragnet 1967.

I'm 24 years old, 25 in a couple of weeks. For those of you that are surprised what younger generations like, such as the Dick Van Dyke Show, keep in mind that a lot of us grew up with Nick at Nite, old episodes of Andy Griffith, the Jeffersons and Sanford and Son in Sindication and on superstation TBS among others...so with the amount of channels and the fact that sindication allows for older shows to be introduced to a new audience it shouldn't be that big of a shock.

Another classic I'd love to see get released is Fernwood Tonight/America Tonight.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I really, really, really want The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and - especially - Amos 'n Andy, probably the funniest show ever after The Honeymooners. I know the typical reasons for keeping this series under wraps, but they're all B.S. - get it out!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Though I hold out little to no hope for most of these:

WKRP in Cincinnati
CPO Sharkey
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
My Three Sons

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Within the time period specified, my biggest wants would be (in no particular order after WKRP):

WKRP
The High Chaparral
Larado
It's Garry Shandling's Show (if you include the whole '80s decade)
BJ and the Bear
Then Came Bronson (anybody else remember this one?!?)
Lou Grant
Medical Center
Get Smart
David Cassidy - Man Undercover
Newhart

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Yep, I remember that one :D

"My Three Sons" is one I'd like but only the later seasons. Same with "Leave it to Beaver". Not sure why, but with these two, I liked the later seasons best.

I see that USC signature line, George. All I can say is...Hook 'em, Horns :D Sorry, I'm a 'Horns fan. Should be a good game though.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Same here. I always thought My Three Sons was much more interesting after Katie (Tina Cole), Barbara (Beverly Garland) and Dodie (Dawn Lyn) were added to the cast and have always preferred the problems the teenage Cleaver brothers got into over the little kid troubles. For the same reason, I always preferred the last season or two of The Brady Bunch. They're just more interesting as teenagers. And while a lot of people hate cousin Oliver, I never had a problem with him.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
More and more classic/vintage TV is making it to DVD but still "missing in action" are THE FUGITIVE and ROUTE 66, two great dramas from the Sixties that I'd love to see again.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Watching the "Naked City" sets makes me pine that much more for "Route 66. It was a sister show of sorts to the former in that Stirling Silliphant and Howard Rodman contributed excellent scripts to the series (as well as being produced by Herbert B. Leonard?). Silliphant in particular was a superb writer, on par with Serling and Reginald Rose and while not omnipresent in NC, scripted at least 70 episodes for R-66. Like NC (and TZ), the series featured the greatest character actors of the medium.

As for my 2006 wish list--those shows that appear to be on the horizon or just beyond:

Time Tunnel (complete)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (Seasons 1 and 2 at least)
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Night Gallery (S2)
Daniel Boone (S1)
Naked City (expecting at least one more box set in '06)
Superman (S2 and S3?)

Releases I'd be thrilled by if announced:

The Green Hornet
Route 66
The Untouchables
12 O'Clock High
The Fugitive
The Invaders
Sea Hunt
The Loner
M-Squad
The Rebel
The Defenders

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Batman
The Green Hornet
The Addams Family
He and She
Car 54 Where Are You?
The Patty Duke Show

...to name just a few.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There are so many good ones finally coming that it's hard to even think about ones that haven't been named. I guess I'll say that I would like to see the other Warner westerns that aired alongside Cheyenne. But, I'm so amazed that that show is actually coming, that I'll be happy with it alone if the others don't make it out.

Another one I really want is Gomer, and I'm pretty sure that's coming next year.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I have several.

Rhoda (74-79)
Room 222 (69-74)
Love American Style (69-74)
The Rookies (72-76)
Mod Squad (68-73)
Maude (72-79)
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (76-77)
Cher (75-76)
Police Woman (74-78)
Welcome Back, Kotter (75-79)
The Six Million Dollar Man (73-78)
Vegas (78-81)
The Odd Couple (70-75)
The Bionic Woman (76-78)
Police Story (73-79)
The Hot L Baltimore (75)
One Day At A Time (75-84)
The Courtship of Eddie’s Father (69-72)
Eight Is Enough (77-81)
Marcus Welby, M.D. (69-76)
Lou Grant (77-82)
Chico & The Man (74-78)
Phyllis (75-77)
CHiPs (77-83)

I realize that a couple of these have been announced but it doesn't hurt to list them anyway.

I'd also like to see Charlies Angels, Starsky & Hutch, SWAT, and Baretta get finished in '06.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a huge fan of westerns and many of mine are of that genre...

Death Valley Days
The Deputy
How The West Was Won
Laredo
Lawman
The Rebel
Wagon Train (The Ward Bond years mainly, of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks