Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Classic TV/DVD Wish List for '06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#21 of 64 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:26 PM

I have a number, I grew up in the 80's and early 90's so my tastes are more from then, and from slightly before. The Donna Reed Show ('58 to '66) - usually not into the golden era sitcoms but I grew up with this one on Nick Maude ('72 to '78) - announced as forthcoming, but all one needs to do is look at the fellow Sony property just below this, which was mentioned over a year ago One Day At A Time ('75 to '84) - a great longrunning classic, come out already Alice ('76 to '85) - season sets ONLY The Facts Of Life ('79 to '88) - surprised not a peep has come out considering it's high placing on TSOD Simon And Simon ('81 to '88) - with the success of Magnum and Murder She Wrote on DVD, how much more need we wait? Kate And Allie ('84 to '89) - heard probable rumors about spring 2006, but I'll hold off until final confirmation Ally McBeal ('97 to '02) - okay, this is way too new for "classic", but I'll throw it in for good measure. Not currently in reruns any longer and the dramedy genre has only gotten bigger since this show ended, I want to revisit it on DVD, at least the first four seasons, last year was a nightmare.

#22 of 64 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 05:20 PM

I'm not asking anything of Universal Studios Home Entertainment (despite their excellent tv series library) and they can just go jump in the lake for all I care.

They're a bunch of inept, blundering idiots (I know some have a similar opinion of myself which is alright I can take it) that is so richly deserved and I wouldn't trust anything this company makes available on DVD.

Universal should have its DVD distribution and manufacturing license permanently revoked! I hope that you Universal execs out there are reading this message post too.

Pertaining specifically to 2006 I've heard one source say (with absolute certainty) that THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) is due to be released on DVD sometime next year...which isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility as it is (still) a popular (and well regarded) tv series.

Is Warner Brothers Home Entertainment holding out on us with this (advance) information? If true how about letting everybody in on the (momentous) secret people?!

I only mention it just to see if this does indeed comes to pass!

Jeff T.

#23 of 64 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'd argue that Warner is worse than Universal. Yea, the DVD-18's are controversial and all, but at least Universal releases season sets, Warner will treat you like garbage if you aren't Friends or Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air

#24 of 64 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 07:49 PM

Many shows, but I'll only list the realistic ones: Get Smart, Odd Couple, The Fugitive, The Invaders, Route 66, He and She, Gidget, Hawaii Five-O, Man from UNCLE, The Untouchables, Burns and Allen, Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, Flying Nun, Science Fiction Theatre, Thriller. I think most of these would do fairly well.

#25 of 64 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,659 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 06:08 AM

Universal... first, straighten out your DVD-18 mess, then release: (Boris Karloff's) THRILLER: SEASON 1 M-SQUAD: SEASON 1 ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S SUSPICION THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR: SEASON 1 DRAGNET (1950s version): SEASON 1 ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 2 DRAGNET 1968 LEAVE IT TO BEAVER: SEASON 2 Paramount: THE FUGITIVE: SEASON 1 THE INVADERS: SEASON 1 THE WESTERNER CORONET BLUE THE UNTOUCHABLES: SEASON 1 THE WILD, WILD WEST: SEASON 2 Sony/MGM: THE ADDAMS FAMILY: SEASON 1 ROUTE 66: SEASON 1 JOHNNY SOKKO & HIS FLYING ROBOT Warner: MAVERICK: SEASON 1 THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968 Hanna-Barbera) Fox: WKRP: SEASON 1 (wishful thinking, I know) BATMAN (1966): SEASON 1 (ditto) LAND OF THE GIANTS: SEASON 1 BUS STOP Other series: WAY OUT T.H.E. CAT THE BLUE LIGHT SPACE GIANTS ULTRAMAN (1966) ULTRA SEVEN GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE HOPPITY HOOPER More ERNIE KOVACS More TIME FOR BEANY More BEANY & CECIL

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#26 of 64 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 06:41 AM

St Elsewhere, now that Hill Street Blues is coming.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#27 of 64 OFFLINE   StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 06:49 AM

All Eighties and earlier: Bronx Zoo, The Call to Glory Eight Is Enough Family Family Ties Flipper Harris and Company It's Garry Shandling's Show Jackson 5ive, The James at 15 One Day at a Time Palmerstown, U.S.A. Righteous Apples, The Room 222 Ropers, The Square Pegs St. Elsewhere Three's a Crowd Up and Coming Welcome Back, Kotter Whiz Kids Year in the Life, A

#28 of 64 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 08:31 AM

what's the St. Elsewhere holdup? Denzel has had a phenomenal film career and is still A-list, and even Howie Mandel is experiencing something of a comeback because of "Deal Or No Deal". This could be a successful DVD commodity

#29 of 64 OFFLINE   Joe*R

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 10:32 AM

I'm hoping for the Love Boat and Hawaii Five-0.

#30 of 64 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,295 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 03:48 AM

2006 definately is starting off in Jan/Feb with a bacg. My hopes is that we'll see more classic Western's I've gotten into Have Gun Will Travel and Wanted Dead or Alive and I hope those continue, but I just started getting the Rifleman and that's a heck of a series, I hope Wagon Train, Bonanza, Big Valley, Wild Wild West, Gunsmoke, Rawhide and more get released. I also hope we'll get the Odd Couple this year, maybe Get Smart, I dream of Jeannie, more Green Acres. On the Drama Action Front, how about Six Million $$$ Man, Mission Impossible Animation will bring the Animated Trek and Pink Panther, how about more Looney Tunes. Getting Time Tunnel, VTTBOTS, and Hill Street Blues rocks Should Be a Good altohough expensive year. However I am finding I am buying less and less movies and mostly only buy TV On DVD as we move toward the HD Era.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#31 of 64 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 04:07 AM

Uh, one word, FOX, which a lot of people here think is so wonderful because they apparently do a good job with shows that are brand new. Their classic release schedule leaves a lot to be desired, although at least it seems to be getting better. So you may see this one soon I imagine.

#32 of 64 OFFLINE   bobPON

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 03:13 PM

I'd like to see the following: 77 Sunset Strip Hawaiian Eye Surfside Six Bourbon Street Beat Laredo Sea Hunt Honey West More Black Sheep Squadron Adventures in Paradise Mannix The Invaders Flipper The Rebel Spenser Route 66 12 O'clock High Daniel Boone Simon and Simon Cimarron Strip

#33 of 64 OFFLINE   Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 06:57 PM

I would love to see the Fugitive and the Odd Couple released in the coming year!

#34 of 64 OFFLINE   BradleyK

BradleyK

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 29 2005 - 08:03 PM

Facts of Life One Day at a Time Scarecrow & Mrs. King

#35 of 64 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 08:20 AM

I almost copied Brian's list!!

"Well, I have several.

Rhoda (74-79)
The Rookies (72-76)
Police Woman (74-78)
The Six Million Dollar Man (73-78)
Vegas (78-81)
The Bionic Woman (76-78)
Police Story (73-79)
One day At A Time (75-84)
Lou Grant (77-82)
Phyllis (75-77)
CHiPs (77-83)

I'd also like to see Charlies Angels, Starsky & Hutch, SWAT, and Baretta get finished in '06. "

Brian,
I thought that this was my post for a minute!
There are only a few shows you had listed which I'm not familiar with.
Here are a few extras from my list:

The Ropers
Three's A Crowd
Simon & Simon
WKRP (I'd pay good money for this!)
The Incredible Hulk
The Fall Guy

That'd just about do it. I'd probably have to re-finance my house if/when all of these came out..

Posted Image
Dan T.

#36 of 64 OFFLINE   Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 10:16 AM

Or Gilmore Girls, The West Wing, Nip/Tuck, Dallas, Lois & Clark, The Flash, The Adventures of Superman, or The Dukes of Hazzard (and that's just off the top of my head)...Posted Image
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#37 of 64 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 02:03 PM

Which for those of us who are looking for shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s, other than Superman, doesn't do us a heck of a lot of good.

#38 of 64 OFFLINE   Tom.W

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 06:21 PM

Underscoring three previously mentioned shows, each representing very different genres, but similar in that they were beautifically photographed and deserving of dvd releases for several reasons: Thriller Sea Hunt Route 66 In addition I would like to someday see: One Step Beyond (professionally done in season sets) Dr. Kildare The Defenders The Millionaire Everglades Ripcord Dennis the Menace The Law and Mr. JOnes Hawaiian Eye Surfside 6 77 Sunset Strip The Roaring Twenties Checkmate Bourbon Street Beat and many others like this.

#39 of 64 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 31 2005 - 12:41 PM

What's My Line season sets Match Game and Hollywood Squares compilations -- the funniest game shows ever! (They were daily shows, so it'd be pretty hard to do season sets.)

#40 of 64 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted December 31 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'll only mention the shows I really want up till the early 90s... Benson Blossom Facts of Life - (this needs to be released on DVD, ASAP!) Family Matters Family Ties - (unless there are some sort of legal issues holding this show back, the fact that it isn't yet available on DVD is asinine) Good Morning, Miss Bliss - (us Saved by the Bell fans need these episodes to truly make our collections complete) Head of the Class The Hogan Family - (Oh, how I miss this show! Best. Theme Song. Ever.) It's Your Move - (I really wish one of the small DVD companies would release all 18 episodes in one set. This show has a bit of a cult following with those who remember it, and I know of new Jason Bateman fans who are interested in seeing the show. It ran on NBC from 1984-1985. It starred Jason Bateman and David Garrison a.k.a. Steve Rhodes from Married with Children. It was also created by the two guys who would later create Married with Children.) Just the Ten of Us - (Hopefully this will be released along with some of the Growing Pains sets) Mr. Belvedere - (Great 80s sitcom that hasn't been seen in years. I'm hoping Fox or Anchor Bay release it in 2006) My Two Dads Out of this World - (I'm hoping to see this possibly in 2006 now that Universal is starting to release their 80s sitcoms on DVD) Perfect Strangers - (In SEASON sets!) Salute Your Shorts - (ideal for the Nick Rewind collection) Silver Spoons - (possibly my most-wanted 80s sitcom on DVD) Small Wonder - (another show from my childhood that I really miss. I bet sales for this series would be better than many people think. I'm hoping Fox, Anchor Bay or maybe Shout! get around to releasing it in 2006) Step by Step - (in SEASON sets!) Valerie - (see The Hogan Family) Webster The Wonder Years