What's new

SVS subs versus any other brand (1 Viewer)

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
I HAVE ONLY BEEN ON THIS WEBSITE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND I CAN'T GET OVER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SVS SUBS. FOR THE SAME PRICE WILL AN SVS SUB OUTPERFORM A DEF TEC SUPER CUBE REFERENCE SUB? THIS IS THE BEST SUB THAT I CAN GET AROUND WHERE I LIVE. I HAVEN'T SEEN AN SVS SUB TESTED IN ANY HI-FI MAGAZINE SO I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. MY ROOM IS ONLY ABOUT 25' X 20', AND I KNOW THAT EITHER BRAND WILL WORK FINE, BUT I LIKE TO FEEL MY BASS.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
STOP YELLING.

This is a pretty incendiary posting topic, BTW.

I will say that SVS is an excellent value, and you're not really going to get the same value in the retail market unless you are looking at Paradigm subs in Canada at Canadian prices. There are other internet brands or DIY options that can compete (or in the case of DIY beat) in value of SVS subs.

I have not seen measurements on the def-tech cube, but I would be very surprised if it competed with SVS, HSU or similar in terms of value and performance.

Jacob C

Second Unit
OK, cuts the caps. I personally refuse to read anything in all caps. Its rude and if you want to be taken seriously take 1/10th of a second and turn caps off. If you are too lazy to type normally do it in all lower case. It is much easier to read and you will get more replies.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Stephen, unless you're wanting to put in an infinite baffle sub, SVS is the way to go, IMHO. Just get the best SVS you can afford and you'll be happy :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

It seems like you are starting to get into audio. Don't believe all of the reviews you read. The publishers of a magazine will more-than-likely, never write a bad review of a product. Most reviews of products read more like a promotional review of the item, because they don't get very critical.

Use good judgement when reading the reviews - and, take most of them with a grain of salt.

Finally, I don't know too much about the super cube sub that you mentioned. I've heard it briefly in a show-room with music. My ears liked what it heard, and when it comes to music, it seemed like quite a good performer. However, movies, is where it would really need to perform to see how it could stand up to many other subs.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
To answer your question, yes, an equal price SVS will best the Super Cube. However, there are other good subs around that will also best the Super Cube.

What is your budget limit and size limitations and we can make SVS and other recommendations.

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
O.K. Sorry . I didn't know people were so case sensitive. I'm new to forums in general. Won't happen again. For price, I'm willing to go up to $1500-$1800. I guess I bring up the Super Cubes because they are quite small, 12x12x12 or around there,and I like the idea of hearing it and not seeing it. You are right, being new to any type of forum, I get most of my info from magazines, although I try not to believe most of the hype.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

As others had mentioned, all uppercase is the Internet equivalent of shouting or yelling. Not sure when that was first put into practice, but I've been online since 1994 and I remember that custom existing even back then.

In addition, all uppercase is harder on the eyes.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
basically a sub that uses another very very large space (usually a room) as it's enclosure. So you'd have the drivers installed in a wall or ceiling or floor, and the adjacent room space (attic, basement, whatever) is the enclosure, and acts kind of like an infinitely huge enclosure space.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
no, they just sound like boomy messy small subs, i.e. they don't sound particularly good, IMO. It's very very difficult to make a very small sub perform very well, and it makes the design necessarily very expensive to pull off, and sunfire doesn't really pull it off. In any case, in terms of value, unless you really are forced to have a small sub, much better going with a sub that doesn't try to get around physics with brute force, it's a lot cheaper and easier to do. Which is why large subs like SVS, HSU and DIY sonotube type designs, and IB subs are so cheap and excellent, because they don't worry themselves as much with WAF, and just attain the performance in the easiest ways possible.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sunfire subs have received excellent reviews and measure flat. Why any particular listener would characterize all Sunfire subs as boomy messy small subs is curious. Except perhaps since they measure flat to below 20Hz, with room gain, the perception of boominess

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
What would be the benefits/non-benefits of having a cylinder as opposed to having a cube as an enclosure other than a smaller footprint.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
If you are looking to spend over $1,500 then you have A LOT of options. I would go out to as many local HT shops and do a lot of auditioning with movies and music you would normaly listen to. Look up the info and measurement on those subs you liked on-line and then compare them with "internet brands" like Hsu or SVS. I would not just see that a lot of people on this forum use SVS so you should get that too. This is a very pro SVS forum (and rightfully so) but there are a lot of other FANTASTIC subs out there.

As for people around here bieng "case sensitive".......you DO NOT need to apologize. If anything Jacob C needs to offer you an apology after this statement.......:

I would take that as being a lot more rude then a recent new member using caps lock........he must have gotten coal in his stocking ;).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

The same reason pressurized cans are cylindrical, with flat surfaces pressure will deform those to rounded shapes, and fighting this by having heavy and rigid materials makes building box subs either more expensive to do right, or not done right the cabinet deforms and adds to distortion. the cylinder shape need to be super-rigid and reinforced because it's already in it's naturally "deformed" shape (much like a pressurized can) so as long as the material isn't elastic, it's a lot cheaper to make a cylindrical shape than a heavily reinforced box shape.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Give SVS a call and talk to Ron there. He will give you the straight scoop on any sub. They run tests on most all of the competition. If something fits your situation better than what they have he will be more than honest and tell you but its hard to beat an SVS sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks