What's new

CRT- HD Choices (1 Viewer)

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, first time post, but long time reader. Judging the current HD market and from reading on-line reviews, I have narrowed the models down to three.

1. Sony KV-34HS420
2. Sony KV-30HS420
3. Toshiba 30HF85

Im leaning towards the two 30inchers because of price, im still hacking it out at college, but through my job, i might be able to score the floor model of the 34 inch sony. Is it a huge disadvantage to buy a floor model tv? Or am i better off just getting one of the 30 inch models.

Thanks

I wouldn't buy a floor model. The thing has probably been going in Vivid mode for many months 8+ hours per day. This places enormous stress on the tube, wearing it out much more rapidly.

The Sony models you list are very good, but I'd go with the Sony KD-30XS955 if you can afford it. The Super Fine Pitch technology is amazing...well worth the extra money. It's not only the best direct view CRT for that size, but the best picture of any set I have yet seen, but for the Sony Sony KD-34XS955. Super deep black levels, vibrant and natural colors, amazing clarity, just a fabulous picture overall. No LCD, Plasma, or DLP I have seen even comes close.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a good online retailer to find a good price on the KD-30XS955? If not im def leaning towards the lower end 30 inch sony.

I don't know of a particular online retailer that is selling it. The KD-30XS955 generally streets at about $1000. I paid $1050 with delivery. Another guy I know got his on sale at Best Buy for $899 a few months back; however, BB no longer carries the KD-30XS955 (at least in my area).

The KV-30HS420 is a very fine set that you can't go wrong with, but to me the Super Fine Pitch tube in the KD-30XS955 is more than worth an extra couple hundred. It also has a built in digital receiver that I believe the KV-30HS420 does not have.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
You can't do better than a Sony Super Fine Pitch TV (least until Toshiba's SED comes out)

Barring Sony's mega expensive units sold to the Broadcast industry (eg Cine Alta) I have yet to see a better consumer CRT TV than the Super Fine Pitch.

At 36" or below plasma and LCD pale by comparison

Oh and avoid demo models at all costs

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Did you order the 30XS955 then? I'm assuming you got it from JR? Arrive yet? I'm looking at getting my first HDTV, and this model is on the short list. (I'm also getting a 4805 or 5000 projector, but that's another story :))

I'd like to hear how it went.

Keith S

Grip
What about the KD-34XBR960N? I've been checking it out at Best Buy the last few times I've gone there. I look at RP's and LCD's and keep coming back to that Sony...it just looks great. Any one else's thoughts? It's a bit pricey though...$1899....cheaper and I'd probably be all over it.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I just put my order in today...didnt want to order while they were not in stock. The guy said end of next week prolly. 850 something or so was total cost so thats a pretty good deal. I hope the PQ is as good as reported, im buying this sight unseen

Keith S

Grip
Seems pretty much the same besides a few small things....well if I could get the KD-34XS955 for $850 I would!

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
i got the 30sx955, quick question dont really know where to post it...

that tv has the built in HDTV tuner, do i need an external antenna to pick up the HDTV Over the Air broadcasts?

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I ordered the XS955 yesterday morning from JR, $850 after shipping.

Hopefully the process will go well and I won't have to mess with returning it or anything. I've heard they don't ship things out real quick, which I can live with as long as it shows up in good condition.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
My 30XS955 came on Thursday. I'm very impressed, this being my first HDTV. Widescreen, HD sports are the coolest :D.

Now onto a front PJ...

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
mine comes tomorrow! cant freakin wait, i already have my HD cable box, and all the cables for the box and dvd player. I even bought the Avia disk. Is there anything else i need to be totally ready for the HD experience?

Erik_AND

Auditioning
This is my first post here as well, and im also jumping into the HD market for the first time. I just happen to be looking at the exact same model too, the Sony KV-30HS420. But after hearing about the Super Fine Pitch, I started looking into the KD, but it looks like nobody is stocking them in there stores. Did Sony just stop making them with Super Fine Pitch?

EDIT: Just to clarify, the KV-34HS420 DOES NOT feature Super Fine Pitch correct?

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Correct, it does not. You need to go for the XS955 or the XBR. When I bought my 34XBR910 2 years ago there was no XS955, so to get the Super Fine Pitch you had to go for the XBR. If I were doing it today, I would save some cash and go for the XS955.

My question is how far away will you be sitting from the set? It is only a 30" set, and you will hardly see any difference with the finer dot pitch if you sit far away. I sat nearly 8 feet away from my 34" and to be honest I could probably not see the difference either.

Erik_AND

Auditioning
It will probably be viewed from 7 feet away, and in reality, there isnt very much DTV in my area to take advantage of the SFP anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread