Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI input/output on AV Receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen DeMarco

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 11:08 AM

I am wondering why you would run an HDMI wire from, say, your DVD player, to a receiver with HDMI input, then output that to a HDTV. I thought that you get a cleaner picture by running it from any HDMI source strait to the HDTV. I also thought that there would be a better upconverter or deinterlacer in the t.v. than in the receiver. Even if there is not, why would you spend twice the money to run two HDMI wires for output/input to the receiver then again to the HDTV?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
I also thought that there would be a better upconverter or deinterlacer in the t.v. than in the receiver. Even if there is not, why would you spend twice the money to run two HDMI wires for output/input to the receiver then again to the HDTV?

I have the Denon AVR-4306 with 3 HDMI Inputs, and I am very glad I have it. DirecTV HD TiVo, HDMI DVD Player, and space for the PlayStation 3 whenever that comes out. Also, if your source material is already sent to the receiver at the desired resolution, it doesn't matter what kind of upconverter/deinterlacer is in your receiver or your television.

It's not "twice" the money, either, if you have more than one device. It's only one extra cable. Convenience is worth the extra money to some people, myself included.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 03:48 PM

If you only have a single HDMI source to route to the TV then there's no reason. The reason is to be able to switch between several HDMI sources if your TV has only one DVI/HDMI input.
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 03:34 AM

Short answer: Many people only have one HDMI / DVI input on their display and more than one HDMI device they want to hook up to it.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Craig Morris

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:01 AM

I think some newer receivers and pre-amps convert everything to HDMI. Therefore you could connect your VCR and Laserdisc or anything else you have to your receiver/pre-pro and have just the one output to the display/tv.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Ham

Robert Ham

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:01 PM

The YAMAHA RX-V2600 will take Analog inputs and convert them to 1080i and output that on the HDMI output jack that ten feeds your HDTV set. Nice feature and works great! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image