Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

XM Questions for you experts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff O.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 09:41 AM

I have decided to go for XM and have a couple of questions. First, I have decided to get the SKYFI2 and would like to hook it up to my home receiver. What is the highest quality hookup? I was thinking maybe using the headphone out with a headphone jack to RCA adapter. Second, I was reading somewhere where someone said that the subscription is tied to the antenna. Is this true? What I was hoping to do was get a home and car kit and use the same receiver in both places, hoping that I would only need one subscription. However, if the subscription is tied to the antenna, I assume this wouldn't work.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 10:31 AM

No, the subscription is tied to the receiver.

As to the audio out, the line-out (headphone to RCA) should sound fine.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,072 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hi Jeff!

You made a great choice going with XM.

Welcome aboard!

First...good news! The subscription is not hooked
to the antenna. The subscription is hooked into the
receiver. Thus, you can use the SAME SkyFi unit in
both home and car and not pay any additional
subscription fees.

The highest quality hookup?

In the car, hardwired -- though that can be difficult
to do on your own and ONLY if your car receiver
has an AUX input in the rear of it. Most OEM units that
come with a car do not. If you bought a car receiver
in the past year or so it *might* have an AUX input.

Otherwise, you will have to FM modulate and the
sound quality is not near as good as you would get
hardwired.

For the home? Simply plug the RCA cables from the
HOME KIT into your favorite device.

There is an OPTICAL MODIFICATION for the SKyFi2
available for about $100 more or less that improves
direct connections between the SkyFi2 and receivers
with oiptical digital input.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff O.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 11:08 AM

Great, thats good news. Thanks for all of the help guys. I am really looking forward to it.

Ron, for the car, I just figured that I would try what you suggested first. It is an OEM unit that doesn't have any aux inputs as far as I know.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
In the car, hardwired -- though that can be difficult to do on your own and ONLY if your car receiver has an AUX input in the rear of it. Most OEM units that come with a car do not. If you bought a car receiver in the past year or so it *might* have an AUX input.

Otherwise, you will have to FM modulate and the sound quality is not near as good as you would get hardwired.

Actually, there is a third option. If you have a tape deck in your car, a tape adaptor would be a better option than FM modulation. There is also wired FM modulation, which hooks up to the FM antenna and is of better quality than the built in wireless FM of the SkiFi.

Jason

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,072 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 07:50 PM

I forgot about that Jason. Yes, that is a step
up from FM modulation.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff O.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted December 22 2005 - 02:23 AM

Thanks Jason, thats interesting. I have a tape deck in the car, but have never used one of those. I assumed the FM modulator would be just as good. I will keep that in mind. How does the wired FM modulation work? Do you have to plug it into the antenna jack on your radio? Can you still use the regular antenna?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 23 2005 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
Do you have to plug it into the antenna jack on your radio? Can you still use the regular antenna?

You plug the attenna jack into the device, then the device plugs into the antenna. It's essentially a pass-through.

Forum Nav Content I Follow