Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shield - Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 20 2005 - 02:11 PM

I know what happened with season 8 of Stargate, and I'm a little worried about this new Shield season. They're different studios (aren't they?), so I would hope there's no danger of the 1.5 hour Shield ep being cut down. I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure?

#2 of 40 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,460 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 26 2005 - 05:48 AM

According to TV Shows On DVD's review, it's the full 65 minutes (minus the commercials Posted Image).

http://www.tvshowson....ReleaseID=5150

#3 of 40 Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 08:23 AM

Good.

I had to raise hell at Walmart this morning to get a copy. Bastards didn't have anything new on the shelves, and they tried to tell me DVD releases are only on Tuesdays. I pointed out a sign advertising Dark Water on "December 26th" in big bold letters, and I told them I knew damn well that wasn't the only title out today. So after about a half hour of pissing around, including paging a manager to price match Best Buy ($39.99), I got it. I was pissed when it rang up like $46 at first. Walmart.com only says $41.88.

#4 of 40 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 09:45 AM

That episode is also in widescreen.

Wait until you see what's in store for season 5. Forest Whitaker KICKS ASS!

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 40 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 02:24 AM

One anomaly on my set...

...Disc 4 (the final ep of the season and extras) came in a "double" slimline case -- meaning that the case had two slots for discs (one on each side of the case)

Of course, there was only one disc. I don't know why this happened exactly.

The only thing I can thing of is that since this case was the one with the security anti-theft bar that maybe they ran out of the others or something???

Otherwise, it looks to be a decent set.

Season 4 had a lot of promise with the addition of Glenn Close. I really liked her character.

I thought it was a fairly decent season. I really got tired of the Aceveda subplot -- the "cringe" factor went a bit too far.

If you watch disc 4, you'll notice a promo for season 5. It says something to the effect of "this is the beginning of the end."

I don't know if that means this is the end of the show or not, but if it is I am looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up.

In my opinion, Season 2 ranks as the best of "The Shield" seasons.

Still though, an excellent show overall.

It should get nominated for the Emmy for Best Dramatic Series and CCH Pounder should win for her role of Claudette Whims.

Like it or not, the show is like watching a train wreck. Bad situations...bad things happening...but it really is one of the most compelling shows on television.

#6 of 40 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:01 AM

I can't get F/X because my cable system doesn't carry it. Thus, the DVD's are my first opportunity to watch S4.

I had conflicting feelings about S4. I agree that Glenn Close was a great addition to the cast, and so was Anthony Anderson. The acting was pretty good, but the writing itself had issues for me at times. There were too many times when I felt people should have behaved differently than they did.

The event that puts Shane under the thumb could have easily been explained by Shane by reporting exactly what happened.

I'm referring to killing the girl

I also felt Vic went way too far in trying to cover up for Shane. It got to the point where I felt Shane could go to a maternity ward, pick up a baby, hold a gun to his head, and shoot him, and Vic would say, "We have to cover for Shane."

I also started to get the feeling the show has to many kingpins in the same area. There's usually a limited number of organized crime elements (gangs, mafia, etc.) that operate in a given territory. In the 4 years we've been watching, it wouldn't change drastically. People come and go, but the overall organizations are usually rather static.

Anyway, interesting to watch as always. I still have part of disc3 and all of disc 4 left to go, so we'll see how it ends up.

sad knowing that Close won't be back. I'll miss her.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#7 of 40 Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 05:48 AM

Are they ever going to release the goddamn theme on CD? 4 very succesful seasons and a 5th on the way, but the theme hasn't been released anywhere. Plenty of other hit shows have hit songs as themes and they're on plenty of albums. It's pissing me off I had to rip the Shield theme (Vivian Romero - "Just Another Day"?) from the DVD and loop what little was there.

#8 of 40 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 07:21 AM

Joe:

You can purchase it on iTunes...

#9 of 40 BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
Are they ever going to release the goddamn theme on CD?

The show soundtrack came out back in May. The theme is on there.

#10 of 40 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 10:54 AM

I got this yesterday as a Christmas present.

I saw season 4 when it was running back in spring. Anthony Anderson and Glenn Close were both very good additions to the cast IMHO, I absolutely loved the change in power and dynamic with Vic when Close assumed power. Anthony Anderson was also great as gangster, so good in fact that I now have problems seeing him in other roles than the role I grew accustomed to him having on the show.

IMHO Seasons 1 & 4 were some of the best of The Shield,with seasons 2&3 both having some stand out moments. Season 5 looks very good as well and the addition of Forrest Whittaker will be positive. Season 5, I think, will set us up for the eventual end of the show which will probably be season 6. The Shield has always been signed as a five season show so it is very possible that this could be the last season though.Posted Image
-Keith-       

#11 of 40 JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:07 PM

the rumor is that the fifth season will be the last. With the sudden addition of 8 episodes to this season, it seems like they're going to try and end it.

~jason
~Jason

#12 of 40 Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 06:09 PM

Something that really gets me upset is that they are still releasing the series in Full Screen!!! Come on, even CSI corrected their season 1 mistake, why not this show?

#13 of 40 JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 02:36 AM

the show's creator apparently WANT this show 1.33:1 as the ratio. It helps give it that claustrophobic feeling...
~Jason

#14 of 40 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 05:05 AM

Cha, Jay is correct; 1.33:1 is the intended aspect ratio. They shoot it that way, edit it that way, and broadcast it that way; releasing it in widescreen would be wrong.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 40 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 28 2005 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
Come on, even CSI corrected their season 1 mistake, why not this show?

They did? I remember a rumor that there was going to be a reissue in widescreen but don't recall ever actually seeing the set or even hearing the rumor confirmed.

Regards,

Joe

#16 of 40 Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 11:39 AM

I prefer the fullscreen releases. Even the single widescreen ep was only 1.78:1. What's the big deal? I prefer to see the show the same way it aired on tv, which was always fullscreen. If Jay & Gord are right, then complaining about this will only end up getting us those lame ass "letterboxed" releases like Evil Dead 2 and some other movies that were really 1.33:1 but were made leterboxed anyway. Someone should be fired/shot for doing that, btw.

If the 5th season really is the last, I hope they won't piss around with the DVD release. I mean, the whole season is already shot, right? Get the bloody DVDs pressed and released the week after the goddamn season finale then.

Also, that CD sucks. I picked up a copy and I'm very disappointed. I previewed all the tracks and none of the good songs I remember were even on there. I'd really like to know what that music was they used at the end of the pilot episode as they were getting ready to go on the raid. I think it was used more that once, but I wouldn't swear to it.

#17 of 40 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,460 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
I prefer the fullscreen releases. Even the single widescreen ep was only 1.78:1. What's the big deal? I prefer to see the show the same way it aired on tv, which was always fullscreen. If Jay & Gord are right, then complaining about this will only end up getting us those lame ass "letterboxed" releases like Evil Dead 2 and some other movies that were really 1.33:1 but were made leterboxed anyway.

The show was shot for the 1.33 aspect ratio. A 1.78 widescreen version exists for all the episodes (I believe it's used in other region's releases) and that has more info on the sides rather than matting off the top and bottom of the screen (a la The Evil Dead). As noted though, the 1.78 transfer is not what is meant to be seen. The R1 fullframe version is how the show should be seen (except for that one episodePosted Image).

Lost, 24 and many other shows are broadcast 1.33 (in SD) but they're meant to be seen at 1.78. So the way a show is broadcast means less than how it's intended to be shown.

#18 of 40 Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 01:38 PM

I know what widescreen is. thank you. What I meant was that with 1.78:1 down to 1.33:1, I don't think you're losing enough to be bitching about. If it were shot at 2.40:1 or something, then maybe I could understand people whining. Although, I would never choose 2.40:1 over a 1.33:1 release, quite simply because there's not even widescreen TVs that freakin wide! That just makes me sick, and it looks hideous on 4:3 tvs. The black bars take half the screen. Oh, "but you get to see more!" Well, you can't see the detail as good unless you're 2 inches from the screen, because there's less screen to look at even though there's more on it (i.e. it's shrunkin to fit on a screen that wide, hence the bars on top/bottom). Basicly, it's a zoomed out version of the wider picture rather than cutting the sides off in order to fit the screen properly. In some cases with 2.35:1 releases, you actually lose some of the top and bottom for real. See Terminator 2 (Super35 ), for example. I think Collateral was also made that way, which would explain why the top of Tom Cruise's head looks like it's cut off through most of the movie. It drove me nuts watching that one. If it weren't for Director's/Exentended Cuts of movies, I'd never buy/watch anything above 1.85:1

Anything aired in 1.33:1 should be released in 1.33:1 or both fullscreen and widescreen versions. In case you hadn't noticed, fullscreen still sells well because the average person without a fancy tv doesn't give a rats ass about how wide the picture is. They just want their screen filled.

#19 of 40 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,460 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 02:16 PM

Quote:
What I meant was that with 1.78:1 down to 1.33:1, I don't think you're losing enough to be bitching about.

If it's intended to be shown at 1.78, I think most people here would disagree with that statement.

#20 of 40 Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted December 28 2005 - 02:46 PM

Rhetorical question: If it's shot, edited and broadcast in 1.33:1 then why pray tell do all the behind the scenes shots of monitors (on the dvd extras) clearly show shots being framed for 1.78 but protected for 1.33? (yes I know it's for HD protection etc!) Posted Image

The show is quite obviously framed for widescreen (and quite brilliantly I might add) and edited and on-lined in widescreen (otherwise there wouldn't be a widescreen master in the first place). The 4:3 image is simply (centrally) extracted from this.

The show is clearly made for two aspect ratios. The 4:3 may be the creator's preferred choice and I understand why from an artistic viewpoint (although to be cynical I'm actually more inclined to think it's because 4:3 is still the US majority format plus it's gives them a chance to sell the show all over again in widescreen HD when the time comes!) but it doesn't make the widescreen version 'wrong' as it's freely available in most of the rest of the world (and therefore obviously 'creator approved' somewhere in the process). Here in the UK we've never had the show in anything but widescreen (All 4 seasons were anamorphic on channel 'five' and flat letterboxed on second-run 'FX'). We've only had seasons 1 & 2 on dvd but both have been anamorphic widescreen.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow