What's new

R1 Chaplin Mutuals SE in June (1 Viewer)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
A box set of the Chaplin Mutuals with Carl Davis' new orchestral scores will be available in June, 2006 from Film Preservation Associates in association with the BFI through Image Entertainment.

Included in the set will be the new documentary about Eric Campbell, "Chaplin's Goliath". Only available in the box set with the Davis scores will be Richard Paterson 1974 documentary, "Gentleman Tramp" (both television and theatrical version), which includes interview footage of Chaplin himself.

New improvements on the set will be the long version of One A.M. and better version of The Rink, based from an original, tinted, and unused 1916 print. Other small fixes will make this currently the most complete versions of Chaplin's "famous 12".

Special features include 82 original production stills courtesy of Jeffrey Vance.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The new scores by Davis, plus several films are longer or better prints. The old set was LD masters transferred to DVD, so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I know it says the scores are new, but I'm wondering if they're at least similar to the ones Davis used to accompany the Mutual clips for Unknown Chaplin. I love those.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad I held out on the 7-disc set with the Mutuals and Essanays. I borrowed one volume of the Mutuals from a library... while you can tell the print sources are wonderful, there's a shroud of video noise, chroma, and pixelation over them. And I'll be honest... the scores are fairly awful.

This will be a must-have for me, now.

(By the way, does this mean an improved set of Essanays would happen?)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wow! I never did get the rpevious set, and always kicked myself for missing it. I'll deffinately drop the money on this!

Great news! Reminds me to watch the "Unknown Chaplin" disc that I picked up last month!

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree about the current scores on the Image Mutual DVDs. I'd sooner listen to the Jelly Roll Morton music they put on continuous loop on the cheapo discs.

As for the Essanays, the BFI released them already in R2...I hope that means a R1 release will follow eventually. I'm satisfied with the Image releases for now, so I can wait.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
That figures. I just bought the Image box thats out now.

I guess I'll wait and see if the upgrade is really worthwhile or not. I'm pretty happy with the current box.

I'm not sure what's new about the Chaplin's Goliath documentary, though.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification. Really glad I didn't spring for them on Amazon UK, then.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The scores on the current discs don't really bother me, so I don't see myself upgrading. I have already double-dipped on several of these discs, and thought that the last boxset was the defnitive answer.

Maybe, I'll rent one of these and see if the score makes that much of a difference, but otherwise I'll stick with what I have.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Essanay discs look fine, btw. They were mastered for DVD after a painstaking reconstruction of these films by David Shepard. There may have been new material that has turned up in the meantime, but nothing major that I know of.

The Keystone restorations are still ongoing; last I heard they were looking at a 2007 release date.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The above link is just all of his shorts (plus THE KID) put together. There are at least four or five companies that have released this type of thing. Some range from $6 to some at $30.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
All of Chaplin's Mutuals PLUS 2 documentaries on 2 Discs? Gotta be a typo. Unless they're on DVD-18s then I would fear a Universal scenerio.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any Chaplin, so I think this is a perfect starter :)

I think it is a typo. The MSRP doesn't look like a two-disc pricepoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks