Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ER Season 4 question Re: Aspect Ratio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   David Bixenspan

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone know whether or not this season is cropped 16:9 taken from 4:3 like the previous seasons, or if it's taken from the actual 16:9 source? I've read in the past that S4 is when they started shooting in widescreen since the Japanese sets were 4:3 for Seasons 1-3 and then 16:9 from Season 4-on.

Thanks,
-David

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted December 18 2005 - 06:42 PM

are you sure ER from seasons 1-3 is cropped from 4:3 ? I thought they shot for 4:3 but protected for 16:9 from the start with the exception of the credits. I realise the broadcast ratio was 4:3 but I didn't think they cropped it to 16:9 for the DVD.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 09:57 PM

Comparing WS to FF on the first 3 seasons, you can see that the episodes are slightly cropped at the top, while showing more info on the sides. So it's kind of a mixed thing.

Chris

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ken N.

Ken N.

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 01:01 PM

If the show was protected for 16:9 from the beginning I have no qualms with MAR for the first 3-4 seasons that were broadcast in 4:3.

I also had questions concerning the release pattern of this series, which is agonizingly slow when compared to other television product on disc.

Is this a result of culling for supplemental material, or a syndication broadcast rights entanglement, or something else entirely?

By the time Warner Bros. actually gets to the current season, 11th I think? DVD will be long dead.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26 :: XBOX Live Gamertag - Kenshiro 26 :: Steam Username - Kenshiro_26 :: Origin ID - Kenshiro26