What's new

Paradigm sub pops when it comes on. Normal? (1 Viewer)

I just got a Paradigm PW2200 sub, and when it comes out of standby it makes a "Pop" sound. Other than that it sounds phenomenal. I am just worried that this is not normal and I should exchange it for another one.

It only does it when then sub's amp engages (comes out of standby) or if I unplug it and pug it back in (Which in turn engages the amp).

Is this normal? No sub I have ever had does this. I have tried differnt outlets on seperate electrical circuits to no avail.

It doesn't have anything to do with the receiver, cause it does it weather it is wired to it or not.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Have you tried turning everything off, and keep in mind that with it set to standby it can takes 15+ minutes for it to shut down? When you unplug the sub, make sure it is in the off position not in the on or standby position. If the sub is on when everything else comes on you can get those pops.

Might call the dealer and see what's up if you've tried this.

There is no on/off switch. The Paradigm PW2200 operates solely in standby mode. It happens when I plug it in or when the receiver sends it a signal. Essentially when the amp in the sub comes on you hear it. Otherwise this thing rocks. I understand now what everyone is talking about when they talk about quality deep bass. I just hate that "Pop" when it engages. I called the dealer and he said that it is normal for all high powered subs of this level. I did not beleive him and sent Paradigm an email about it. He also said that all of the Paradigm subs he has on the showroom floor do it, even the Seismic and the Servo 15. He claims that when the amp powers up it sends a low level charge or something to the driver to discharge any static build-up. Something tells me he is full of it though.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Just a note to tell you my Paradigm PS-1000 I bought at least four or five years ago does this "pop" as well. It's not terribly loud, but it's definitely there when the bass engages.

I just assumed it was normal, and have gotten used to it.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Sounds like Aaron gave you the answer. I was under the impression that all subs had a muting circuit/filter that eliminated this when it first got turned on. I guess everyone doesn't do this not that it seems to be a big issue.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The Servo-15 V2 pops upon start-up - perfectly normal. Probably the same applies to the 2200.

James>F

Auditioning
Just wondering here, Do your sub have a "level" or "input" or like a "sensitivity" knob?

My little Athena does, i can set it between 1 to 15.

If you have one of these knobs turn it down to 0, and see if you still hear the pop.
If not, the problem is your sensitivy is too high.

This happens in car audio when your amp is too powerfull for your sub....so if you turn that gain down, and it doesn't pop. thats what the problem is... ;)

this may be wrong in home audio case, but worth a try to find out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks