Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

stacking components?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Jason->D

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 04:51 PM

so i had my new tv delievered today and as it's a step up from my old one (20" -> 51") i can no longer use my entertainment cabinet to hold my equipment, as i'm short on funds does anyone see any harm in stacking my dvd player right on top of my receiver for the short run? i know heat could be an issue however if i keep movies to a minimum etc it shouldn't be to bad i suppose?

also for whatever reason my sub has developed a really bad buzzing noise, when i swap cables from my monster thx (bought before i was educated on the subject Posted Image ) to just a normal yellow video cable it goes away, any ideas on why this would suddenly happen?

#2 of 13 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 05:22 PM

People ask this all the time, and the answer is always the same:

Nothing
Should
Ever
Be Stacked
With a Receiver.

It's not that heat "could be" an issue; heat is an issue. And while it may not lead to an immediate failure, it shortens the life of your components.

Don't stack. Find another way.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 13 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 07:30 PM

If you have a digitally powered receiver (one of those Panasonics or H/K or Sony) they probably don't get that hot to begin with. Otherwise, as long as they aren't in a cabinet, and if you space the components some, you should be OK. For example, I use rubber stoppers to space apart the stacked gear that I have. (Cheapy mechanical isolation too. Posted Image ) Adds about 1 inch. But use common sense too. How hot does the receiver get? If it's too hot to the touch, then you might not want to stack anything on top of it.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#4 of 13 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 01:53 AM

If you can put the DVD player under the receiver if not use something to give more distance like the rubber stoppers Kevin talked about.

#5 of 13 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
It's not that heat "could be" an issue; heat is an issue. And while it may not lead to an immediate failure, it shortens the life of your components.

Which gets to one of the reasons I have never owned a receiver.
Why would I want to put my preamp/tuner on "broil"?

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#6 of 13 Pete Gia

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 08:13 AM

Don`t do it!

#7 of 13 Jason->D

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 07:00 PM

yah it's currently sitting about 3 inches above to give it some room for air to escape, i've developed a new form of isolation using some old camera filters as legs for now heh

#8 of 13 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 12:47 AM

Clearly it isn't recommended.

Generally, though, especially for short term, it probably isn't harmful - I've been short-stacking components for years, although I'll also point out that the ambient temperature around my stack right now is 59ºF.

The one-inch rubber spacer pucks are a good idea though, and if you do think you're having any heat issues, get a small ball-bearing, quiet muffin fan and get some air flow going. A tiny bit of air moving around can do wonders for heat control.

Leo Kerr

#9 of 13 Edwin_D

Edwin_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 05:05 AM

It also is worth checking out where the vents are located on your receiver. If they are on the top, then I would not stack something on top of it with no additional spacing, but you might be able to stack the receiver on top of the dvd player, if the receiver does not have vents on the bottom. If you are really concerned about the heating issue, use a thermometer to compare the temperature between components to the ambient temperature.

#10 of 13 dany

dany

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 05:46 AM

Why do people want to stack stuff on top of a receiver and a sub?
Get In My Belly.

#11 of 13 Jason->D

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:38 AM

because i just spent all my money on a tv and have no cash to by a proper rack for my equipment right now :P

#12 of 13 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:55 AM

Stil, Jason, don't do it.

#13 of 13 Jason->D

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 07:23 AM

i've got it propped up enough to about the same level it was before so there is air ciruculating under it, thx for the advice everyone