What's new

What are the current best 12" drivers out right now..SQ is the goal. (1 Viewer)

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
right now...

sound splinter 12" (two different models to pick from) and probably av-12 from AE.

On the horizon?

Ascendant various 12 inchers, which will all apparently include some kind of low distortion, flat BL motor (not XBL^2)

AE is changing their AV-12/15 line in the near future to have a better motor

Adire has promised new DIY subs for almost a year now, but only a limited number of tempests have shown up, and only at CSS in Canada, IIRC. The Tumult 12" would be a prime choice, but you could be waiting for a long while. I think the DIY market is really on the back burner for Adire right now... which financially probably makes sense. Just disappointing for the DIYer :)

David

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Good point...but 5' is like the max and really I guess
3' would be more like it.

Let me be more specific...id like to spend under $300,
keep the box to

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
sound splinter 12" (two different models to pick from) and probably av-12 from AE.
>>>>

Can you provide a link to these? Thanks

Say how about for an amp, is the Apex Sr. a decent one?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Uh-huh. We both know you'd be bottoming the sh*t outta this thing within an hour, but since you asked so nicely... ;)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
lol, whats up Jack? I see you got a Panny 900U..congrats on that.

Perfect, those drivers look great. I'll probably go with one of those.

thanks

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Probably something from Adire with XBL^2 will be your highest SQ driver. Unfortunately you can't get them.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I agree with Jack. Look at the Dayton 12HF Referece Driver or also check out he Soundsplinter Premium 12 for a bit more output capability.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Welp I let the winds of Ebay determin my direction ...this should be fun. I am gonna try a clone , and luckily me and Curt C. from Velodyne get along. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

There are a bunch of SPL-800 amps on Ebay now too...i was considering one of those but I figured the extra 400 watts would be nice. I know this amp is not just a straight up amp , I am sure its tweaked so I am going to need Velodyne's help choosing a driver and alighnment.

:)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
You might consider a two step sub system, an IB for the really low stuff and a sealed box system with a little overlap and EQ/Phase shift to allow a better transition into the mains. Don’t forget the room has more to do with SQ then anything else. I have an IB and the added sealed pair of ACI 12" were just the ticket to get the punch and extension I was looking for and overcome the room modes, and like you I have tried many different combinations of subs, all but this latest fall far short.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hey Mike, that sounds like a great idea but I am not really in search of anything..I am just building another sub.

A small sealed subwoofer is enough to power my room and with the extreme room gains I have ..that little SPL800 does it perfectly.
A single sealed Shiva would do it too.

Well its looking like my best bet is to buy a driver from Velodyne and just copy the SPL1000.
I dont think Velodyne is going to tell me the TS specs of the driver nor are they going to help me find a driver so I am SOL.

I know the SPL1000 amp has some EQ built into it and knowing the SPL1000s enclosure is just barely larger than a cubic foot the EQing is probably all centered in the lower frequencies..so I am probably safe to make the box a little bit larger.

But I suppose to be 100% safe id be best off sticking to at least within 10% of the original size , I can probably improve on the sound just by making a sturdier box than what Velodyne offers.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Does anyone here have any info they can share about Velodyne's driver source or have some rough specs on the SPL1000 driver?

thanks

johnBee

Auditioning
Hello James,

I am not sure if you are aware of the RythmikAudio Servo sub, but it is a 12" TC Sounds driver, 370 watt Servo amp that has outstanding SQ and extension, and pretty decent output also.

Check it out @rythmikaudio.com

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently built a 12" subwoofer for my infocus 4805 based HT. The Sub I bought was a GR-Research 12" sub and 12" passive radiator. The box is 2.4 cubic feet.

http://www.gr-research.com/drivers/sub_pr.htm
The sub and PR on on sale as a combo for $129. I used a rhythmik 350 amplifier to power it. Just got it hooked up last night so I can't comment on the performance just yet, but the price and specs are nice. It was basically designed with SQ as the goal.

You can check out some pics of my box construction:
http://photobucket.com/albums/c92/iron_forge

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hey thanks guys...both of those look great.

That Rythmikaudio Servo combo looks like alot of bang for the buck.

And that GR-Research combo is cheap!

I just got off the phone with Velodyne ...I can get an SPL 1000 driver for $300 + shipping ..I dont know anything about it except it has a 21.6lb magnet and its 8ohms.
The amp I won is rated @ 1000 watts RMS /2000 watts peak but who knows how fudged those numbers are.
Knowing the driver is 8ohms makes me think the amp is probably more like a 500watt amp or even less.

I am not sure what I am gonna do..I can do this SPL1000 clone for about $500 + box materials....this does not look too attractive when I know I can get a new SPL1000 for about $700.

Hmm.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I'd be careful with the Velodyne drivers, I've tried a HGS15 woofer in a DIY sealed and apreodic and had have little good to report about it. It looked great, huge magnet structure and beefy suspension, but sounded like crap no matter what I put it in.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I cannot say that surprises me, I am sure the HGS15 amp plays a pretty big role in making that driver sound good.

Same goes for the SPL1000..id not be buying the driver if I did not have the amp that goes with it.

You still have that HGS driver? there is an HGS amp on Ebay now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks