-

Photo
- - - - -

The Real Ghostbusters: When Can We Call Them to Get On DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Matthew H

Matthew H

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'm an avid Ghostbusters fan, and having two episodes of The Real Ghostbusters on the new 2-disc release of the films this past summer were a real treat. Unfortunately, it didn't whet my whistle and I want more - season sets! We have He-Man, Transformers, and other classic 80s toons out on DVD - when can we add The Real Ghostbusters to the list?
Matt

Mobu? Sounds like some sort of damn car polish.

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted December 15 2005 - 12:45 PM

I don't have any idea when (or if) they are coming out on DVD, but here are some things that would make good extra features:
http://spookcentral...._original01.htm
http://spookcentral...._original02.htm

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 05:35 AM

3 seperate single disc / random episodes coming February 28th.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=4728

Posted Image I don't mind them doing this stuff to get parents to buy them for the kiddies...

...but freak'n release season or multi-disc sets in ordered and volumed sets for us freak'n grown-ups as well!

Posted ImageSONY

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:00 AM

This could also be a test to see if Season sets could sell well (a la Batman Beyond and Justice League).

But on the other hand, it IS dissappointing that the Real Ghostbusters is getting the single-disc best of treatment that's usually reserved for latter-day Nick/Non Samurai Jack Cartoon Network/Disney Channel Cartoons.

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:04 AM

Test? Wasn't the new Ghosterbusters I/II set with the 2 episodes of TRG the test?

Besides, Gord said these releases are aimed at parents to buy for their kids and not the adult collectors.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Test? Wasn't the new Ghosterbusters I/II set with the 2 episodes of TRG the test? Besides, Gord said these releases are aimed at parents to buy for their kids and not the adult collectors.

Although that's most likely Sony's main justification for these DVD's (although i don't understand how Sony thinks that a relatively low-profile 80's cartoon, esp. one that hasn't seen a lot of latter-day publicity or reruns, has a lot of appeal to today's kids to justify the best of route, especially after Thundercats, He-Man, Garfield and Friends, Ducktales, etc.), a test factor could also be invloved.

BTW, The Justice League and Batman Beyond single-discs were also aimed at kids, as are pretty much any non-Adult oriented cartoon snigle-dsc best of on the market.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 06:31 AM

The problem is that this show is under the control of the kids area (think "Dragon Tales," "Bear in the Big Blue House," "The Berenstain Bears," "Harold and the Purple Crayon," "Jay Jay The Jet Plane" and so on). They don't think in terms of "season" or "volume," or creating sets that collectors want. Their goal is to slap together a couple of episodes and put them on a DVD with a low SRP for parents looking for some cheap entertainment.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 07:22 AM

Have most little kids even seen Real Ghostbusters or any of the Ghostbusters movies? It isn't like Real Ghostbusters is on in syndication anywhere. It seems like they are aiming for a market that isn't there.

Paul

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 08:46 AM

I don't see why season sets wouldn't appeal to parents -- more episodes means the kids will be comatose in front of the hypnobox longer. It's just that the vast majority of TV show DVDs marketed to kids only come in packs with a handful of episodes.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Have most little kids even seen Real Ghostbusters or any of the Ghostbusters movies? It isn't like Real Ghostbusters is on in syndication anywhere. It seems like they are aiming for a market that isn't there.

Exactly my point. I can't imagine kids or parents giving a Real Ghostbusters DVD, even a kids-oriented best-of, more than a passing glance (And Good Luck competing with Scooby Doo, Spongebob, and DVD's of kids shows that are actually airing).

Quote:
The problem is that this show is under the control of the kids area (think "Dragon Tales," "Bear in the Big Blue House," "The Berenstain Bears," "Harold and the Purple Crayon," "Jay Jay The Jet Plane" and so on). They don't think in terms of "season" or "volume," or creating sets that collectors want. Their goal is to slap together a couple of episodes and put them on a DVD with a low SRP for parents looking for some cheap entertainment.

I figured as much.

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 11:45 AM

A) This sucks. I wish that they'd have gotten their act together for a complete run.

B) I'll still probably buy the damn things anyway. I'm that much of a ghostbusters whore. Then if season sets show up, I'll pass them along to my relitives with kids.

C) The episodes they are releasing are pretty good stuff. Adventures in Slime and Space was a long run of in-jokes that probably went right over the heads of the youngin's watching.

Could be better - could be MUCH worse. Damn you Sony for not giving up the goods!

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   JohanD

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 06:52 PM

I'd buy. Posted Image

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 04:21 PM

You know, after thinking about it - screw Sony. I'm not going to nickel and dime myself to death crappy best ofs. They can sit and spin - I got lots better things to do with my money.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 21 2006 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
Test? Wasn't the new Ghosterbusters I/II set with the 2 episodes of TRG the test?

How could that be a test? You test by measuring what kind of sales a sample of a product generates. The movies were bought by people who wanted the movies, not the extras. Even if there were a handful of extra sales generated by the inclusion of the animated episodes there is no way Sony could know that, or quantify the results, or draw any conclusions about the appeal of the series generally.

Regards,

Joe

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted February 27 2006 - 11:37 AM

Just got these DVDs today, the show really holds up well. Hopefully these best of sell well enough to warrant season sets.

Paul

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:53 AM

Double post... sorry

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Matthew H

Matthew H

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but with the release of GB1 and 2 on Blu-ray later this year to coincide with the release of the new video game, anyone think we have a shot?

My guess is still no, given that Sony isn't exactly an advocate for older shows, especially cartoons...
Matt

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Matthew H

Matthew H

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 04:25 AM

Looks like it's finally happening!

The Real Ghostbusters DVD news: Time-Life to Release Complete Series This Fall | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Greatest. DVD. News. Ever. (to me anyways)
Matt

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   David M.

David M.

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 05:38 AM

It's great news to me as well.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 06:36 AM

As soon as I saw this thread bumped I thought "the upcoming video game is our best bet" because that's really the only major "Ghostbusters" item to come out since the sequel in '89.

I had no idea that there would be an actual announcement, though. Awesome.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow