Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
261 replies to this topic

#41 of 262 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 01:23 AM

Well.....I like them both equally. So there.Posted Image Posted Image

Looking forward to getting this from Amazon next week. After hearing all the word of mouth on this one, I have to see this.
Recently watched- Lethal Weapon 4, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#42 of 262 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 01:52 AM

Would I like Firefly/Serenity?
I do like Joss Whedon himself and I am a big Buffy fan. Didnt care for Angel too much though.

Depends on what you liked so much about Buffy that you didn't find in Angel. I find Firefly tonally more similar to Angel than Buffy but the fact that you are a big Buffy fan means that you should at least rent (and probably consider buying) the Firefly DVD set.

#43 of 262 OFFLINE   Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 02:28 AM

I also want to give a thanks to Steve for his review!

(Edited to remove my error - been off the meds for a day or so now and it has caused great mental confusion)

Colin

#44 of 262 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:12 AM

The DVDs are presented in the correct order so no worries.

#45 of 262 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,997 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:20 AM

The episodes are presented in chronological order, Colin. The airdates are listed (where applicable), and wow, what a goatrope. Just buy the series and watch them in order. Laugh at the airdates when you are done.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#46 of 262 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:53 AM

Steve thanks for the review, this is a much anticipated buy for me.

I loved the series, saw the movie several times in the theater and I'll be giving the disc a spin on Tuesday.

This is a very good movie. Yes it does have its' flaws but it definitely was one of the better movies I saw this year. It is a real shame that it didn't make more during its' run.

As for viewing the series first, I would agree that it is better to have watched the series first but I also believe that the film is self contained enough that it stands on it’s own as an enjoyable experience.

#47 of 262 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 04:10 AM

Sorry to derail the thread one more time, but there some outright errors that have to be corrected:

Quote:
Take a CD that you know & love, play it back w/o any THX stuff, then with THX's Re-EQ. Do you hear a difference? If so, do you like what Re-EQ does to the music? If you hear a difference and do not like it, be aware of what THX's Re-EQ is doing to your music, it does to your soundtracks as well.

No, it's not the same thing.

Film soundtracks are mixed for large rooms, firing thru a movie screen. They have the treble "boosted" to compensate for this. When the film comes out on video, more often than not this "curve" is still in place. Re-EQ does what it says it does: re-equalizes the high frequency content to "normal" levels.

Today, film soundtracks are pre-equalized for home playback (notably New Line DVDs). Newer THX receivers and processors have made Re-EQ *OPTIONAL*...you can turn it off and still get all the other benefits of THX processing.

Regarding "dumbing down": there is a LOT of false information floating around there. It is also why there are now 2 levels of THX certification: Select and Ultra.

Select 2 and Ultra 2 are for 7.1 systems and have new modes specifically for music playback.

I don't see what the bashing is about: THX is a feature that can be turned on or off. You don't like it, don't use it. But don't provide misinformation to others.

#48 of 262 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 05:12 AM

As for viewing the series first, I would agree that it is better to have watched the series first but I also believe that the film is self contained enough that it stands on it’s own as an enjoyable experience.

I watched the series first (many, many times actually) and loved the movie. I took my nephew and my wife's uncle, who'd never heard of the show, and they loved the movie.

It's just a great movie. Can't wait for the DVD.

#49 of 262 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 16 2005 - 05:54 AM

Hey, let's start a debate over Dolby Digital and DTS... then the thread derailment will be complete! Posted Image

The Firefly DVD set has the shows in production order, and even corrects continuity issues created when episodes were left unaired. (These unaired shows appear on the DVD.) In the one case I remember, there is a scene that had to be reshot for Fox because they did not air one of the previous episodes. Now that scene is out (but included as a supplement) and the original scene is back. Well done.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I share your concern about screeners, because I firmly believe that you deserve and require complete reviews based on final product. Universal PR assures me that I will be receiving Serenity next week in final form.

I also recognize that it is very considerate for Universal to allow HTF and a mere amateur DVD reviewer like myself the same early screeners that professional journalists and other media outlets receive. Early is good for me: if a disc arrives a week early, I can review it over the weekend and have a review posted on or around street date.

The screener policy just started recently. As it stands, Universal's policy has been to send final product to reviewers on or after street date. Since I have a full-time job and a semblance of a life, that makes it very difficult to complete a review in time for you to take advantage of street week sales.

Now we all know that final product for next week is in the back rooms of stores already (I know of one place I could buy Serenity today). That product could just as easily go out to reviewers. I do not understand Universal's concerns at this late stage. Sure, if an unscrupulous person had access weeks before street date, some damage could be done. But sending the final product out mere days before release should not be a concern.

So we currently have a compromise: review the screener early and miss out on select content (not to mention final A/V quality), wait for receipt of final product and miss out on sale prices, or find some middle ground. I have chosen the middle ground.

I don't think we are going to change Universal's mind on this, but I am glad you have raised awareness of your concerns. I'll get off my soap box now, and I hope we can move on.

Oh, and I'm sorry if it seemed that I put in too much plot detail, but almost everything was taken from the first seven minutes of the film. I described the characters (based mostly on Firefly), and tried to set up the conflict that drove the rest of the movie without going into the gory details (except, maybe, for the Reavers, eeeewww). If I left it to where everyone had to see the DVD cold, I think many people would avoid the movie altogether.

And a Browncoat can't allow that! Posted Image

Have a great weekend, everyone.

- Steve

#50 of 262 OFFLINE   dailW

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 08:26 AM

since there's a discussion about sound and everything i would like to recommend the soundtrack to serenity it a beautifully underrated score. highly recommended Posted Image

#51 of 262 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 09:21 AM

Nice review! The film rocks! And PLEASE all, let's not have this thread turn into another DD vs. DTS or Buffy vs. ANGEL vs. Firefly thread. Please! Fot the love of all that's "hugs and puppies"

Posted Image

#52 of 262 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 11:02 AM

Has anyone found the Canadian version? I'm curious about the possible extent of damage from the bilingual cover art . . .if there is any.

#53 of 262 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 12:19 PM

Ok, got my copy, and the weird thing is even though the movie is PG-13 and says so on the back of the disc, the removable label on top of the DVD case says Serenity (Unrated) - Widescreen. Awesome UNI QA at work again.

And on a related note, both Serenity and Battlestar Galactica Season 2.0 have coupons attached to their shrinkwrap for $10 off when you buy both, but they are only able to be use as a scanned coupon at the point of sale. So for those who did it by mail order or get it from a mom and pop shop like me, I guess we're out of luck.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#54 of 262 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 01:54 AM

Discount when you buy Serenity AND BSG 2.0? I'm there!

#55 of 262 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 02:18 AM

How is the transfer? Anyone have any screenshots to put up to give us a peek?

#56 of 262 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 05:57 AM

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#57 of 262 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 06:59 PM

truly a good movie which deserved a better outcome at the box office. anyway, i do have one little problem with the movie or should i say series. the problem is with the sheppard who's history isn't revealed in the movie. when we saw the episode in firefly were
he got shot and later on moved on an alliance vessel, after they saw his i.d. card, it made ask what his history is.
too bad we don't get a final word what he did.

nonetheless a fine movie, which shouldn't be missed Posted Image

#58 of 262 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 08:03 PM

This movie was seriously, seriously fun. I've only seen the first disc of the series, and that was enough to get by, and the movie almost stands on it's own.

#59 of 262 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 17 2005 - 09:08 PM

Enrico - I thought all the evidence points pretty solidly to Book having been
an Operative
so in a way the film does tell his story, at least indirectly.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#60 of 262 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,362 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 11:54 PM

That's my conclusion too Brandon.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.