-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
261 replies to this topic

#261 of 262 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 04:59 PM

You also have to remember Al, and I agree the movie did a poor job of explaining this, her mind and memories are warped from experimentation.

She could have plenty of other stuff in her head and just not know it.

Maybe a flashback or two to the original TV show would've helped out on this point a bit. If you ever get the urge, the whole River story makes *alot* more sense if you watch the show. You'll understand her frame of mind and why she can't come up with information intentionally.

#262 of 262 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, that could be it: I felt I was missing something on character development. Mainly for Mal, and he is central. I didn't catch on until much later in the film the *possible* reason why he was behaving as he was until Inara appeared. Admittedly it took me a while to warm to him.

That's the way its supposed to be with Mal. At least from that standpoint it sound like that part of the movie worked for you as intended.

Quote:
Nothing plot related that happens in Serenity is touched upon in the movie, and like a television series that isn't the pilot, the only thing really that can be done is a fill-in of what happened previously.

Yeah, someone mentioned this in the movie discussion (might even have been you) and I agree. Lots of stuff that people new to the "universe" assumed was explained or a reference to the series really wasn't. Despite the fact that there was approximately 10 hours of material that preceeded Serenity, very little of it was plot related. Whedon seemed to be just settling into more story-arc stuff when the series was canned.