What's new

Want more Night Court season sets? Then you'd better purchase the "TV Favorites"! (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I know that the subject has been beat to death over the last little while. But just as a reminder to those Night Court fans who may not know. On Feb 28th, Warner will release a "Best of" collection. And if it flops, we will not see any more Season sets. So everyone go out and buy one in Feb. It's the only way to get the Studio to release more season sets!!

BrandonJF

Second Unit
My Season One purchase was my vote for continued season sets. Not interested in "best ofs"... Maybe if they would've started with the best of instead of going backwards. I'm guessing sales of season one are what led to the change in direction.

I just can't imagine that this "best of" set is the barometer for season sets rather than the actual season set that's out there. If Night Court fans really want Night Court season sets, they should go buy season one and skip the best of.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As soon as someone shows me in writing where the company promises that if I buy a best-of, they'll release season 2, I'm all over it. Until then, no sale.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
watch this stupid best of consist of season 1 episodes as well.

Probably will be like when Sony released that stupid "Best Of" Mad About You disc and included a lot of season 1 and 2 episodes... the episodes that the fans already had.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Here's some evidence that good (or at least adequate) sales of these "Best of" sampler DVDs can make a difference:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4695

"Cheyenne" appears to be the first of Warner's "Television Favorites" line to get the green light for a season 1 release, discounting their "Dukes of Hazzard" release which was the only one of the "Television Favorites" line that was released after a few season sets had already been released.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Pavan and I discussed that, and he assured me that this cannot be the case as he was told that all episodes in the running are said to be Markie Post-included episodes.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has there been a single Best of release which has lead WB to release a season set? Until I see at least one show break that barrier, I wouldn't buy a best of thinking that it will lead to future releases, because one of them had to do well so far and nothing has happened yet.

Paul

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Warner is doing these "TV Favorites" because of caution to save money. There have been numerous job cuts and money loss withing the entire Warner Bros. franchise--home video, television, etc. This now includes someone I have been good friends with (major bummer!). So, trust me that these TV Favorites are only being done to see if season sets would sell. That is why I am urging if you like the show, buy it--it's less than $10 and I'm sure many of us can afford that.
And what TVShowsonDVD.com just broke today, about Cheyenne full season sets coming soon, is proof I hope. Most of the TV Favorites, if not all, came out only this past September, so if season sets are coming we should start knowing soon, as with Cheyenne.

I hope everyone understands no matter how we all don't like this. Perfect Strangers is one of my all-time bests and I am for sure upset we are not getting season sets to start off, but I'll do anything to support them to get season sets.

And as for Night Court, like Dave said, expect all Markie Post episodes--so that is NOT anything from season one.

John*D

Second Unit

Then why is Pefect Strangers getting a fan selected 6 episode "best of / tv favorites" release when the First Season was only 6 episodes? Why not just release the first season to test the waters?

Pavan_P

Second Unit

Good point. I have no idea. I assume if season sets do come out, they'll combine S1/S2 together to get rid of the pre-Chicago Chronicle years faster. The show really started to get going in season 3 when they started working at the Chronicle.

Step by Step had a full 22 episode season from what I recall.

Randy_Cre

Agent
Personally, I think I'd rather give Warner Brothers $30 or $40 as a commitment to buy season 2 if they'll release it to show my interest in SEASON SETS of Night Court rather than waste $10 on something I REALLY don't want (i.e. a "best of" 6-episode coaster).

Or if WB wants to dangle the carrot that it "might" lead to season 2 and other seasons being released... then if the sales of the "best of" disk are not good enough to bring about season sets, then letting buyers return the "best of" disks for return or credit against other WB releases.

I can promise that my disk would be unopened. Personally, I have zero interest in 'best of' sets for any show I like. How often am I going to want to watch the same f-ing 6 episodes over and over, and say "hey isn't this great?!... It's definitely better than NOTHING!!!! ... Whooohoooo!" ... Not likely. ... Basically they'd just be a constant reminder that season sets weren't released.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'd certainly rather have the season sets but I also understand that some of them are coming out and just not selling so I do not blame the studios for being cautious. It isn't just Night Court that they are doing the "best of" idea with. It will also apply to Alice, Family Matters, etc. If you want those season sets, and I do, then you may have to buy the compilations. The studios are not going to release a product that they feel might not sell. That's reality, folks. If all I have to do is pick up a couple of these Favorites discs to get what I really want them I'm doing it. The rest of you are more than capable of making your own decisions. But you're taking the chance of missing out on what you really want simply because of stubbornness. And that will be your loss.

John*D

Second Unit

Yeah but with Night Court they are going backwards...

...season set to Best Of.

Unlike with the other shows that you mentioned.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
So wait, let me get this straight, Cheyenne did better than F-Troop, Maverick, Chico & The Man, and Welcome Back Kotter? I know Chico & The Man hasn't had much syndication, but all of those other names did. Cheyenne outsold all of those and that is why it got the first green light?

Paul

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
WOW!!
I leave to go to work for a few hours, and come back to see that my post is raising lots of "enthusiasm".
Pavan, Dave, you guys think that you could direct this post to someone important over at W.B. so they can see how many people really are waiting for more Season Sets??
Just an idea..
Oh and by the way guys, I am in NOO way agreeing with the decision for them to release a "best of" collection. I hate them just as much as everyone else. But if it's the only way to ensure future season sets, then I'll go with it. Perfect Strangers & N.C. haven't been on TV here in Canada for years!!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If some of these discs are supposed to gage interest in season sets, then why release them first to best buy and then give them a wide release later? If this is supposed to be some kind of gage, wouldn't you want a wide release from the beginning? This applies to Welcome Back Kotter especially in my case as its been my favorite to see one of these releases.

I may pick up the Night Court disc, I love the show and if it helps get season 2 and beyond out then so much the better. Yeah, I already have season 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks